Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 09-07-2019

Default Yo-clone-oh Dogfighter YZ-834b

This could have gone in the "i made this " section of the forum and I'll put a link in there as well but i think it will be better appreciated here .
This is a 3D printing project I've been working on to build a replica of the Yokomo YZ-834b Dogfighter , it started as just a way to produce a few spares for my runner and the list if bits i made grew and grew , then it became more of a list of bits i had not made .... it became inevitable at that point that I'd complete the set . Most of it is faithfully reproduced with a few parts either made stronger or redesigned in a way more favorable to 3D printing .

New gears in the original box , diff is printed but not shown as I'm waiting on parts .

Original gears in a newly printed prototype gearbox .

The Chassis is Kydex and also hand made by me , all the other parts you see are 3D printed other than where i show the my gearbox with stock gears and vice versa.
Right now a more finalized version of the gearbox is printing , its only got minor changes to the design of the original in order to make it printable , the design of the gears is unchanged and compatible with an original gearbox .
Old 10-07-2019

This is really amazing, have been following on RC10Talk. Really fantastic work ! What printer do you use ?
Old 10-07-2019

I've only got an Ender 3, so nothing fancy , I've got a better extruder ,Bltouch and the upgrade board with Trinamic 2208 stepper drivers, its still fairly basic but it does what I want it to .
The gearbox is now virtually complete except the diff , I made some sprockets for the chain today as well as more gears , it takes a bit of trial and error printing gears to get the mesh right , Fusion 360 ( the CAD software) has a gear making add on but you have to get the lash right as well as some other bits to get them to run smooth . The sprockets are not from the Fusion 360 add on , I had to just freehand copy them from originals and that was very hit and miss but on my 4th or 5th attempt I got a good result with both positive engagement and smoothness .
I'm waiting on thrust washers and bearings for the diff then I'll fire up the lath and make the outdrives and front drive parts .
Old 11-07-2019

Fantastic stuff, keep up the great work ! Very inspiring
Old 11-07-2019

Thanks
I have the gears all running smooth now and I'm printing what i hope will be a final design gearbox , i threw it all together as well for a look .

Old 12-07-2019

The latest version gearbox is finished and all as good as i could hope for , more pictures I'm afraid , both proto-gearboxes and all the proto-gears then some shots of the genuine article and my version .

Old 13-07-2019

Now with added Diffy goodness , i still need to finish the outdrives but its all working, i had it running for a few minutes without load , it was a little rough at first but free'd up well . Shown with the genuine one with the white main gear.

Old 16-07-2019
Awesome Admin

Wow love it mate well done
Old 17-07-2019
Mad Member

Awesome stuff. This is the future in all manner of things
Old 17-07-2019

Your work is absolutely great!
I think I got inspired by some of your threads on RC10Talk to start some measuring and modelling of my old Dogfighter.
It is not something likely to be fully completed. My concern has always been the rarity of the drive train parts.
Thus my car has not run since the 90's. Maybe a modified altered clone is somewhere in my future also.
Also: Please tell if You are willing to work for peanuts and make many spare metal parts :-)

Not sure if it helps, but I have made some 834B chain sprockets.
The idea was to make sprockets for both original chain and the larger type Kyosho Optima chain.
The 13T sprockets for standard chain seems fine.
The 10T sprockets for Optima chain fits, but the car does not accept the wider chain without modifying.
I use OpenSCAD and print at Sculpteo.
A link: Experimental chain sprockets 834B std/ot
Old 17-07-2019

I have the sprockets already modelled and printed ,you can see the rear one on the printed gearbox pictures , I already run kyosho sprockets and chain on my upgraded runner , its even got a front ball diff , I'm planning on modelling up printable kyosho pitch sprockets but its not yet done .The other thing I've done on my upgraded runner is use a modern ball diff coupled to a stock diff gear and balls, I used a Team C diff for the out drives and thrust washers with a 12mm sleeve over the drive cups to match the bearings
The rear diff took an unreasonable amount of time to make for this one and to be honest is not of a high enough standard to sell , my lath is manual not CNC and my time is free to me but I'm not planning on making any more , the rest of the parts are probably going to be on Shapeways , probably the most useful parts will be the gears , top deck/chain guide and steering knuckles as they are just unobtainium , its also going to mean that more get off the shelf and get their wheels dirty , well that's the hope .Hopefully you would be able to buy a complete gearbox set that just needs gear axles and bearings and drop it in and save the vintage transmition .
Its all now on hold for a week or two as I have other stuff on my to do list , thanks for the kind words .

Last edited by Dadio; 17-07-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 18-07-2019

Thanks for the update and even more good tips.
Sorry, had to ask about parts making just for fun. I understand the problem with varying quality and precision on handmade items. And then it is supposed to be usable and to fit well with original parts. If a part comes out perfect only the 3rd time, it is not fun to repeat forever I understand.
No pressure, just keep up the good work!
Old 24-07-2019

Front drive spindle finished .

Old 31-07-2019

Found a little time to modify some Scorpion re re rear axles to make front axles , these will hold the roller hub on with a regular nut rather than a C clip , i had to first anneal them then turn them and finally harden them again , i also had to insert a 6mm drill bit shaft into the cup so i could hold them in the lath chuck without squashing them but it all worked out and with only slightly frazzled nerves :shock:
Shown with an original thats much lighter in colour .

Next will be to turn and mill the square drives for fron and back , I've got the one way bearings for the front and I'm expecting the little flanged bearings that go either side to arrive tomorrow .
Old 02-08-2019

All the new bits fitted , the eagle eyed among you might notice I've done some vapor smoothing to the ABS parts , this smooths out a lot of the layer lines and gives a more shiny surface ,it also adds a little strength , its done by using acetone soaked into tissue and placed into a sealed container with the part for about an hour , the vapor melts the surface a little .

Old 03-08-2019

Made up a very simple roll bar to mount shocks at the rear and fitted some Pargu front shock mounts with a cheap shock i had laying about , its still got genuine rear shafts , no chain or front shafts yet but i could run it 2wd now if i wanted , oh i threw some tires on as well .

Old 04-08-2019

Chain guard , new version of rear arms that are much more accurately copied are printing now .

Old 05-08-2019

Redesigned rear arms , the white one was one of the first models i made in Fusion 360 and although i was pleased with it then i later deleted it as it was too flawed , so the two black arms are the new design , a closer copy of the original , one is straight off the printer and the other has been vapor smoothed .

on close inspection you might notice a raised section around the front pivot hole , the car originally had a washer there to space it well into the mount , these have been printed with an integrated washer but i have a model without as well if you wanted to fit washers .
Old 17-08-2019

Well it was and still is "OFFICAL WORLD WIDE SILLY GRIN DAY"
The front shafts arrived today and fit perfectly , its still short of a chain so only rear wheel drive but she runs !

Dirty as well !

Oh the motor is just a cheap modern one with a sticker on it , the only genuine parts on the whole car are the rear shafts , the nylon gears run smoothly and very quiet , in fact its very quiet , no chain noise i guess , Vidio soon .
Old 18-08-2019

Just a bit of fun , i modeled up a rough copy of a Bolink Funco half body , its not quite right , the cab is too long , this is printed in Vase or Spiral mode , just one layer or 0.4mm thick , printed in PLA as a test print so its quite brittle but it covers it over for now , only took 4 hours to print .