Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 22-11-2008
Super Moderator

Welcome DT

I agree with Glypo here, being in the electronics design game, it is highly unlikely that Horizon/Losi made their own speedo. However why does it look so much like a GTB? Do they buy it from Novak or did they simply give a GTB to someone and said "make me one of these!"

G
Old 22-11-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via ICQ to lochness42 Send a message via MSN to lochness42 Send a message via Skype™ to lochness42

Well I hoped that you'll understand what I mean that they have their own esc (it's clear that they don't design and produce them).
About HobbyWing they don't have only 80A spec esc but also 150A esc which run up to 6s.
80A esc marked as Stock http://www.hobbywing.com/english/Art...?ArticleID=431
150A esc marked as Modified http://www.hobbywing.com/english/Art...?ArticleID=429
Old 22-11-2008
Super Moderator

The 150A Hobbywing unit doesn't look that bad to me

G
Old 22-11-2008

Good find...I wasn't aware they were releasing a higher-powered version, although it certainly makes sense for a unit that size lol. HobbyWing ESCs aren't at all bad, so that'll probably be a decent unit IMO. It's just that an 80A controller in a 1/8th application is a bit frugal; you'll be able to run low kv motors, but probably nothing much faster (or in a bigger vehicle) without heat issues.

Quote:
Well I hoped that you'll understand what I mean that they have their own esc (it's clear that they don't design and produce them)
Sorry, I kinda misread how you meant that last night. I know what you meant now :-)
Old 22-11-2008
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger Thrasher View Post

Sorry, I kinda misread how you meant that last night. I know what you meant now :-)
Lockness may be from Slovakia - but his English is mostly better than ours.
SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.
Old 22-11-2008

Are the Hobby Wing specs anywhere near realistic though?

I honestly can't see it being anywhere near 150 amperes for real.
Old 22-11-2008

Running an R1 Pro in my RC8 and have to say they are pretty impressive performers. Only pushed it to 21 mins so far but no thermal issues. Add the hotwire into it and it makes quite an attractive option. Even when the RX8 comes out i think you will still find the R1's a popular choice due to size.
Old 22-11-2008
Super Moderator

What motors are people using? They all seem to be big money?

G
Old 22-11-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by glypo View Post
Are the Hobby Wing specs anywhere near realistic though?

I honestly can't see it being anywhere near 150 amperes for real.
There's obviously no way to be sure without having one to actually test, but I'm doubtful. It might be able to handle 150A continuously for a few seconds, or maybe even half a minute, but I personally can't see that being a genuine continuous rating. 150A is a LOT of current; you'd need at least 8-gauge motor wires to actually handle that (120A is about the limit for 10-gauge). I'd say the 150A is likely to be a short-term rating, but I could be wrong. No way to know until it's tested.

Northy; most people using sensorless setups right now are using either Neu, Medusa or Feigao motors. Neu are the creme-de-la-creme of brushless motors, being really efficient, but also quite expensive (you can also buy Tekno-Neu motors, which are specifically designed for car use):http://www.neumotors.com/2008/Root/Site/Welcome.html They're around the $250 mark for a "1515" class motor, which are suited for truggies and monsters. The "1512" class motors are good for buggies, and more more like $220. Not good for us brits.
Then there are the Medusa "Afterburner V2" motors, which are excellent: http://www.medusaproducts.com/motors/036-V2.htm They come in various can lengths (and of course, winds) and are almost as efficient as Neu motors, but considerably cheaper. A 60mm Medusa motor is equivalent to a Neu 1512 in terms of power, but comes in at around $130. Not bad.
Then there are the Feigao motors, which you should stay away from. They're cheap, but very inefficient and poorly made. If they don't overheat on you, the rotor will separate or the can will fall apart, lol.

Castle will be bringing out their own motors very soon, though, which are based on the Neu design. They'll be just as efficient and well made, but built tougher with larger bearings and a stronger can. They'll have 1515 and 1512-sized motors coming out, and should be around $150. I'm picking one up myself lol.
Basically, there's a wide price range of motors out there...it just depends how much you can spent. A bit of efficiency goes a long way.

Sorry for the essay...I get a bit carried away with this stuff!

Quote:
Lockness may be from Slovakia - but his English is mostly better than ours.
From Slovakia? I'd never have thought he wasn't English, by the quality of his text.
Old 22-11-2008

DT, you forgot the most important of all. Tekin......

Tekin will have 8th motors out too with the Rx8
Old 22-11-2008

Yes! Good point, sorry Jay. Tekin will have their own large motors too by early next year.
Old 23-11-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via ICQ to lochness42 Send a message via MSN to lochness42 Send a message via Skype™ to lochness42

Well there are few threads about 1/8th electric on rctech.net forum (one has over 11000 replies) that I try to keep eye on (you can find them in both electric and nitro buggy section). It's really interesting reading.

To my english - it quite clear it's not as good as I wish, but I try to keep it as good as I can. I don't have almost any oportunities to use it here in Slovakia, so I'm practicing only by watching films with english subtitles and reading/writing on forums.
Old 23-11-2008

Sadly it would appear that even the V.3 Mamba Monster isn't without it's issues, apart from the MGM I'm running now the only B/L speedo's I've had previously have been for 1/10 (Novak/LRP/Nosram). There are a lot of good reviews from people using the Tekin speed controllers.
As I said I went for the MGM as it's water proof, I don't know about the Tekin but the Castle one's certainly aren't. The other thing that steered me towards the MGM was the fact that Tekno, who's chassis I'm using, prefer to use these. Thermalling shouldn't be an issue as it comes with twin active cooling fans.
Someone asked about run times, I've got the LVC set on the conservative side at the moment so it's 13 - 15 minutes.
Old 23-11-2008
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

I ran a V3 at Worksop today in a leccy X1CR, it was totally awesome
Old 23-11-2008

There have been a few Monster V3 failures like you say, but literally only a few if the RC-Monster forums are anything to go by...a lot of people there are running the V3s (or V1\V2s with the new firmware) without any problems now. Most of the problems so far have actually been due to a poor setup (one guy was seriously overstressing his LiPos, resulting in a lot of voltage flutter, which killed the Monster). I've got a V1 with the new firmware and a V3 case, which I'm waiting to run.

As far as waterproof-ness...the Monster isn't officially water *proof*, but it is water resistant. All of the electronics are clear silicone coated, so it can handle splashes with no problems.

The MGM's a good choice, they're nice ESCs. What model do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smOkin View Post
I ran a V3 at Worksop today in a leccy X1CR, it was totally awesome
Cool! Smooth as silk, aren't they
Old 24-11-2008
Super Moderator

Some great info here - thanks

What is the Losi stuff like? I'm guessing that it is just someone else's re-badged.

G
Old 24-11-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to dave g

bally had the losi system in his eight,pulled the shell off after the running at worksop yesterday and it was clap cold,motor was aired.
Old 24-11-2008
Mad Member

Check rctech.net. There is topic about losi 8ight-E in electric buggy section. Most ppl there use Losi BL system (some uses also MMM). Reaction about it are mostly positive (only few ppl had problems - in comparison to MM v1 or v2 none )
Old 24-11-2008

The MGM's a good choice, they're nice ESCs. What model do you have?

I went for the 16025-3 Z Series, I thought about going for the 28025 but mine should still have 45-50 amps to spare on what the Neu motor will pull. From what I've heard it's not as smooth as the MMM although I haven't noticed any cogging as it spins up prior to the Tekno clutch engaging. I've got some long shank pinions to try direct drive as well which will probably show up any cogging more than the clutch will.
If the V3 is sorted it should be excellent for the money and if it is indeed sorted I may well get one to try.
As far as waterproofing goes I had a Novak GTB before in 1/10 TC that was supposed to be 'water resistant', was it hell, first drop of water and it went up in smoke! The MGM should hopefully be better in this respect as it's also suitable for use in R/C boats, time will tell I've only run it in the rain once so far.
Old 25-11-2008
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

Is bally around?

just wondering what your runtimes were like with the 8 and the flighpower 5000 ?