Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 15-12-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via Skype™ to simoncrabb

I'm watching 8th electric with interest. I wouldn't even consider running nitro, it's just not my thing, but I get all excited by the prospect of 8th electric.

I reckon as it gains more momentum then it could tempt a lot of electric boys...
Old 15-12-2009

I certainly hope so! The more the merrier!

I don't think that the UK has enough racers who are willing to travel to support two nation-wide race series, or even two race bodies (BRCA and RC-Pro). Also, I think that we are all quite happy with the way that the BRCA is run, though I know you have more issues with ROAR in the US.
Old 15-12-2009

Verywell. I am ignorant of what BRCA is all about over there.

However I will say, people said the same thing about ROAR before all these other entities came about and now you have, ROAR, RC-Pro Series, The Jimmy Babcock series and almost every city and region have their own series they run parallel to these. 10 years ago we would have thought this insane too. But its almost as if the competition and increased activity in the community has bolstered the hobby and now there are many many more racers, hobby shops and double the tracks (in places where several series are going on) as there were just 10 years ago.
Old 15-12-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

I might be interested in this, dates dependat of course.....
perhaps a nice new 2.0e, dont tell the wife
Old 15-12-2009

You know, I was trolling the other forums on oople and it seems like 1/8th buggy is no where as popular as 1/10th is in England aye? What % of each of the classes would you say people run in England?
Old 15-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

Well at the moment, there is no series for electric 8th but the nitro series and the 10th electric is just about equally as popular. I think 10th has a greater turn out.

But 'hobby' wise, I'd say that 8th nitro is more popular, but the hobbyists don't necessarily go and race them once they have bought them.
Old 15-12-2009

Yep, I'd agree.

Numbers-wise at national level, I'd say they are equal (if you grouped all 1/10 off-road national racers (as many do both classes)).
Old 01-02-2010
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

Did anything progress here ?
Old 01-02-2010

Pretty close now I think...

It's looking likely-ish
Old 02-02-2010

Its exploding over here in Houston, Texas. U.S. Last year at this time electric 1/8th was 5-10% of the entries at the years first big race. This year it was 50/50!!!! Yes most of the top level guys were still running nitro out of tradition I suppose but man what a change a year can make.
Old 02-02-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I think there is a place for 8th electric,But we have 10th,8th rallyx,truggys..Every class has the same names beating around in the top 20.This is only my opinion, (so lets not shoot me down to hard..hey) but we seem to have so many classes from micro to large scale,I think we need to bear in mind there are only so many people racing rc in the uk. we are starting to spread ourselves a bit thin.
If you want to race off road electric nats etc you have 10th (nice and peaceful).If you want to race 8th nats etc you have rallyx(LOUD),...simples

And if you like to be in the warm by a radiator touring or 12th..but it's just not the same

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 02-02-2010

Ya thats a blessing and a curse I suppose. The great number of classes gives variety and fun factor for something unique but sorta bad cuz like you said there are only so many racers so you might only have 3-7 cars in a class. Few classes and the range of competition is greater in each class and if your new and suck, you can usually count on someone sucking more than you

1/10 4wd is strongest in the northern part of the U.S. with 1/8th about tied with it.

1/8th Buggy (mostly nitro) rules the southern states with 1/8 Truggy in 2nd and COOR Stadium trucks in 3rd and 4wd 1/10th comes in 4th.

If you have anything else then your car is sitting in the pits with not enough drivers to make a class. I do LOVE Euro styled rally. I do wish we had more of that here in the states. Do you guys have a link to some good racing picks and what kind of cars you use for "RallyX" is it?
Old 02-02-2010
RHR RACING

On the inside cover of the mags this month it says there definately wont be a BRCA series this year
Old 02-02-2010

Send a message via MSN to birdy

I run the Northern Regional 1/8th RX series, if there are enough numbers at each meeting I would be more than happy to run a heat of 1/8th Elec at the regional.

Is there enough 1/8th Elec racers out there ATM.

www.bmrcc.co.uk
Old 02-02-2010

I'm not sure what to say.

Meh, I'll spill the beans.

I got in contact with Jim Spencer about running a 1/8th Electric series this year. It was just after the AGM, so no chance of a new section. However, I had just written some guideline rules, so sent this to him, and he asked a few sections whether they'd be happy to run a support class.

The BRCA truggy series organisers deemed that if by the end of January there were enough spaces left over at the truggy nats, then an electric class would be opened up.

Having had a look at RCRaceControl, only around 20 drivers are booked into each meeting (3 2 day events). This means one of two things: 1/8 electric will go ahead to boost numbers, along with hopefully some more truggy entries, or, the series will be cancelled.

I'm now waiting on Jim to tell me what is going on with regards to moving forward, but if people would like to start putting names down here so we can get numbers, then I can give Jim (and the truggy section) expectations.

Names:
Simon Turner (me)
James Helliwell
David Gibson
Simon Heath

Oh, and try to keep this a little quiet, not sure whether I should've spilt the beans yet...
Old 02-02-2010
RHR RACING

+1 James Helliwell
Old 02-02-2010

our local club is gradually moving 1/8 to the electric side of things, initially there was only one or two of us at first, but it seems each week another rolls up with a change from nitro to brushless, hopefully we will see this trend nationwide and get our own series.
When they first saw them they just dimissed them, not anymore we now run about a 50/50 split
Old 02-02-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Depending on dates +1 David Gibson.

Also, Birdy I'll be doing NRS with nitro this year, but still have my Losi so will happily double up classes if you get enough to run a separate heat!
Old 03-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
Depending on dates +1 David Gibson.

Also, Birdy I'll be doing NRS with nitro this year, but still have my Losi so will happily double up classes if you get enough to run a separate heat!
I know alot of guys that once Electric gets in there especially around 50/50 they will run double classes too and/or just switch to electric completely but dont want to do it first since the "competition' and fun is where the numbers are. Once you get about 50/50 consistently things will take off fast!
Old 03-02-2010
Mad Member

Again, depending on dates etc I'll come along with mine so +1 Simon Heath.

PBM Racing 01773 769323
TEAM XRAY
RC DISCO