Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 07-01-2010

Default Choosing the Right T8 for your Buggy/Truggy

Based on real life testing, racers opinions & testimony on this forum and many other forums I have put together a chart to help new people decide which T8 Motor (or any brand with similar KV ratings) might suit their needs. As well as avg. mah/min to help some determine what size packs for what situation might be needed. This is only a "general guide" so please feel free to chime in comments to assist in its tweeking.

Last edited by jasonwipf; 05-09-2011 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Updated data from racers.
Old 07-01-2010

I think I'd agree with that overall.

Only thing though; I wouldn't use a truggy motor in a buggy, they are just too big and heavy in my opinion for buggy use.
Old 08-01-2010

Im sorry i dont undrstand that chart. im looking to convert my 8 2.0 buggy to electric, im pondering over a 2100kv or 2400kv, im guessing the 2100 would be ample as the 8e comes fitted with that as standard. im yet to research this forum yet for advice
Old 08-01-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

you go for a lower KV and a higher cell count, you get better duration, and temps.

You getting the Rx8?
Old 08-01-2010

Sorry buddy im not sure what an 'rx8' is in the rc world?? i know its a Mazda sports car if thats any help.
seems from what i've read so far i need to be looking at rc monster in the us & castle creations for a better deal in converting my Losi, then i read about slipperrentials & i thought Oh God theres a fair bit to this conversion lark!!
thanks 'DCM' so the castle creations 2200 kv motor would do me fine?
Old 08-01-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

when it comes to motors, make sure it is sensored.
Old 08-01-2010

Try having a read of my guide.

I know we need that thing stickied.

When you have read that, then ask us some questions as right now there seem to be too many questions for one post to answer...
Old 08-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnr racer View Post
Im sorry i dont undrstand that chart. im looking to convert my 8 2.0 buggy to electric, im pondering over a 2100kv or 2400kv, im guessing the 2100 would be ample as the 8e comes fitted with that as standard. im yet to research this forum yet for advice
yes do the 2100. That chart isnt just for the Tekin really, but any brand with similar KVs.

I agree marvin truggy motors are heavier in buggies and while i did it once i wouldn't do it again. Some people just really want torque or they get it then tone it down for their buggy and/or use it in their truggies when they convert them so they dont have to go buy another motor or system. So thats the only reason I put it there.
Old 09-01-2010
Mad Member

I am currently using a T8 2250 in my buggy as I had got the 1550 and 2250 for my Truggy conversion but then the club where I race stated max 4 cell only and they were doing buggies only so did not want to spend even more so just transfered everything over. Am very happy with the 2250 in the buggy even if it is a Truggy motor.
Schumacher KC, KD, CAT XLS, CAT L1 | Team C TM2 V2, TM4, TC02 | JQ The Car | Mugen MBX6 | Losi 8T,8BE 1.5 | Durango DEX-410V4 | FTX Blaze | XRAY M18T | Kyosho STR,Surf Dude,Nexus 30 | Nimrif Makara | MFA Spear | She Devil | T-Rex 450SEV2,250SE | Ark X-400 | Protech Butterfly,Zoom 400 | Ikarus Piccolo | VW T4 | Smart 450 | KC-250 | BoltRC Kraken 5" | Emax Nighthawk 250 | Gravity 250 | S550 | Prusa i3 | TronXY X5A | Must stop collecting stuff!
Old 09-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmiSMB View Post
I am currently using a T8 2250 in my buggy as I had got the 1550 and 2250 for my Truggy conversion but then the club where I race stated max 4 cell only and they were doing buggies only so did not want to spend even more so just transfered everything over. Am very happy with the 2250 in the buggy even if it is a Truggy motor.
You should tell them that the 'official BRCA rules' for 1/8 electric allow 6S.
Old 11-01-2010

I agree with Marvin. Site that rule and always stick up for Electric Freedoms. If they fear too much power with higher cells in high kv motors its rather misguided since too much power or rpms really hurt your ability to control the car.

Electric has really grown alot in the last 2 years in the U.S. and this year is a pivotal year for us. Growth in 1/8th electric is expected to be much greater than the last 2 years combined and with that brings about more competition about rules and bickering with the gas guys who in may clubs and organizations are starting to use politics and tricks to repress us and make us unviable for racing. What i mean is an actual effort to get some to switch back to gas in the racing scene.

Eventually Elec 1/8th will overtake gas 1/8th due to ease of operation, indoor winter racing, long-term cost savings and even for environmental reasons. So keep supporting each other and growing our ranks.
Old 11-01-2010

You forgot the most important reason for 1/8 electric! It's faster!
Old 11-01-2010

Thank you guys especially Marvin for the brushless guides written on here, turns it all into a 'bit' less of a minefield although i am still a little confused with some of the math involved in it all but like i said it is all a little clearer now. I have decided to go with the 1800kv motor, v3 speedo & Hyperion lipo probably the vx 5500 5s.
there are lots of 2200kv combo's on flea bay but none of the 1800 combo.
I have emailed Mike at Monster rc as they dont list an 1800 kv combo so i am waiting for a price on that.Thanks again guys im sure i will be back again for more info
Old 11-01-2010

The 1800 is not officially released yet as a combo - I'm sure Mike might be able to give you an ETA.

The Hyperions are good - I have one of the VX 5500mAh packs myself (5S), I like charging at 3C, it's good fun charging from flat in 20 minutes...
Old 11-01-2010

Ya they have been saying that 1800 is coming out for awhile now. Well you can also just get the Tekin 1900 combo. Its costs a little more but the extra features make it well it well worth it. Smooth sensored throttle band, on ESC tuning, small footprint, highered amp capacity than the MM, clean new design and the 1900 motor is just awesome. Runs so cool too. Last October I ran it in a 4 hr enduro and it never got over 54 deg C.
Old 11-01-2010

Main problem I had with the Tekins is the weak rotors - between me and my uncle we went through 4 in about a month and a half - ended up with us both being sent 3 replacement rotors each 'just in case'.
Old 11-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Main problem I had with the Tekins is the weak rotors - between me and my uncle we went through 4 in about a month and a half - ended up with us both being sent 3 replacement rotors each 'just in case'.
once they fixed it are they slipping as of today? I ran that 4hr enduro with a rotor that slipped and I put green thread lock on it before the enduro and still runs solid months later.
Old 12-01-2010

3 of those were the 'updated rotors'.
Old 13-01-2010

Ya i spun an updated too, green thread locked same motor and 4 months now with about 100 hrs of run time and no problems
Old 17-01-2010

/bump, updated chart with milage avgs, mostly from users in the u.s.