Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 16-02-2010
oOple Advertiser

Default Hyper ST conversion

Hi guys,
i've read through the FAQ's and some posts here about the conversions and have a couple of questions.

Is there an elite motor mount available for the Hyper ST ? I couldn't see one on the site (unless you're using the Hyper 9 one ?)

I'm leaning towards the Tekin RX8 with 1700kv motor (on 4S to start with, but with a view to 5S at a later stage once I get used to it)

I run electric most of the time (10th, 12th, on-road etc) so brushless etc I've got no problem with, I just couldn't get on with Nitro personally.

I've read that the "slipperential" is a good idea.. is this basically the same thing as a slipper clutch that 10th uses ? (protects drivetrain etc)

Is there anything else I should be looking out for ?

Anyone out there already converted a Hyper ST, any pics to see or advice on the process ?

thanks
Chris
Old 16-02-2010

Slipperential is pretty much just as you described. Good idea if using the tekin to save somee stress on the rotor. Not sure if elite do a mount but I am nearly sure rc monster do. Very helpfull advice over there on all conversions and brushless combos. Also the only place to buy a slipperential as its the owner who created them. Hope this helps you.

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18982
Old 16-02-2010

Elite don't yet do a motor mount that'll fit the Hyper ST. RC-Monster's 'Hyper' mount does fit, and there are quite a few Hyper ST conversions on their forums.

A slipperential is, as the name suggests, a 10th-style slipper clutch, combined with an 1/8th-style differential. Definately worth it with the Tekin for added peace of mind.

The Tekin system is good, though expensive, especially when you have to factor in the Hotwire. I think Stormer Hobbies were doing them really cheap, so have a look.

1700KV is a faster 5S motor, and a slower 4S one, so it's not a bad idea to start with 4S then go 5, but there isn't really much point to be honest. Just go 5S to start with, then use punch control or the slipper settings to calm it down.
Old 16-02-2010
oOple Advertiser

well I run tekin in the 12th car already, so have a hotwire to hand, no need to get another one

An rc-monster motor mount and a slipperential sounds like the combo then for now

thanks guys, will let you know how i get on
Old 16-02-2010

Ah - in which case Tekin all the way. Definately worth getting the slipperential - Randy Pike actually advised me to get one, and said they had been using it. He referred to it as a 'great tuning tool' or something similar.

You can also get the battery boxes from RC-M, and I think it best to get one of the custom sized versions - so it fits your packs like a glove.
Old 16-02-2010
oOple Advertiser

ordered:
RX8 (1700 motor)
monster motor mount
slipperential
battery box (for sizing)

now i'm looking at lipos... Hyperion/flightpower/poly... soo much choice
Old 16-02-2010

Hyperion, Neu, PolyRC/PolyQuest and Thunderpower. Cannot go wrong with those 4. I've used all four too, and from my experience they are all solid, good performing packs.

The series to go for:
Hyperion - the VX series - for better choice of capacities, and for the higher discharge rate
Neu - the EP or NP - for better value, and still excellent performance. Just make sure you get the 'V5' ones, that allow a 5C charge rate - you don't have to use it, but it means it'll keep its value better if you sell it on later - people like higher numbers.
PolyRC - always expensive, but you really have to go for the new 45C range.
Thunderpower - the 45C range looks great, but, if more on a budget, go for the 30C range - still plenty of choice and power.

Best place to go for LiPos (aside from Neu) is RC-LiPos in the US. They do free worldwide shipping, a bulk discount (if you buy 3 LiPos, you get 5 or 10% off), and try their best to prevent unwanted customs charges. The shipping they use isn't bad either - it's pretty quick. They are also about the same price as anywhere else, so you're not paying for the shipping through the price either.

Whereabouts in Kent are you anyways?
Old 16-02-2010
oOple Advertiser

Cheers for the pointers I'll have a look at them

I'm in Orpington
Old 16-02-2010

Are you planning on racing it? And where if so?

Do you do Faversham off-road at the moment? Or are you more like Eden-Park?

EDIT: Christ, they were poorly written...

Let's try again.

Are you planning on racing it, and if so, where?

Do you race at Faversham at the moment, or Eden Park? Or are you only on-road at the minute?
Old 17-02-2010
oOple Advertiser

I'd like to race it, but I mainly concentrate on the on-road stuff during the summer

I've been to Faversham once and Eden Park a few times (2wd and 4wd) as well as West Kent when it's on

Where are you based ?
I know there's a fairly new club in Orpington itself which runs on a sunday
Old 17-02-2010

I only race 1/8th now, though did do some meetings at Faversham.

I race at KMRC (just south of Maidstone) now, and that's pretty much it to be honest - though hopefully we'll get somewhere with the nationals too.

You will want to race it!
Old 17-02-2010
oOple Advertiser

I've heard of KMRC but never got round to going there, hopefully when it's sorted I'll get a few days to play
Old 18-02-2010
oOple Advertiser

the speedo/motor are on the way

quick question though.. with a slipperential the spur is 46t.. does a 15t pinion sounds about right ?
Old 18-02-2010

What's the gear ratio of the Hyper ST? 4.3:1? Also, will you be running LPR/VTR tyres or MTR-type tyres?
Old 18-02-2010
Gypsy Member

Default slippy

i like the sound of this slipper. i have just got a hyper 10 sc . the 4wd short course truck . reckon a slipper is a good idea. would it fit and can you get em in the uk cheeers
Old 18-02-2010

I can definately confirm that it won't fit. It only fits 1/8th size diffs. It also means therefore that the Hyper 9 and 9E can't benefit from it, as they both use the Mini Hyper ST centre differentials to reduce rotating mass.
Old 19-02-2010
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
What's the gear ratio of the Hyper ST? 4.3:1? Also, will you be running LPR/VTR tyres or MTR-type tyres?
According to rc-monster it's 3.909

The tyres i have are either kit or AKA cityblocks
Old 19-02-2010

Using LPR-type tyres (like the AKA Cityblocks), you'll want an 11T pinion for most tracks, or a 12T if it's a very large track (or if you feel like it) on 5S.

On 4S, using the same tyres, you'll want either a 14 or 15T (for the same reasons).

The 52-tooth spur would be a better option, as it allows you a larger range of pinions that have more teeth (so wear less).

With the 52, on 18.5V, you'd want a 12/13/14T and on 14.8V, you'd want a 16/17T.

12/13 cover the 11 from earlier - neither is perfect, though I'd go towards the 13 if you want speed, and 12 if you want run time (only slightly more of each to be honest).
Old 19-02-2010
oOple Advertiser

thanks for the help Marvin, looking forward to it now !
Old 22-02-2010

Hey marvin, you guys try the castle 1800 motor on your buggies yet? My friend got one a few weeks ago seems pretty good. You know I'm a tekin guy but this motor felt really nice. I might almost suggest a RX8 ESC and a 1800 Castle motor combo for those that like the reliability of castle and the on the spot tuning / cooler temps of the RX8.