Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 22-10-2008
Super Moderator

Nah, colour makes no difference, it's the material

G
Old 22-10-2008
Mad Member

Yeah you have the get some rings made with real 'O'. I think the purer 'O' the harder!!
Schumacher KC, KD, CAT XLS, CAT L1 | Team C TM2 V2, TM4, TC02 | JQ The Car | Mugen MBX6 | Losi 8T,8BE 1.5 | Durango DEX-410V4 | FTX Blaze | XRAY M18T | Kyosho STR,Surf Dude,Nexus 30 | Nimrif Makara | MFA Spear | She Devil | T-Rex 450SEV2,250SE | Ark X-400 | Protech Butterfly,Zoom 400 | Ikarus Piccolo | VW T4 | Smart 450 | KC-250 | BoltRC Kraken 5" | Emax Nighthawk 250 | Gravity 250 | S550 | Prusa i3 | TronXY X5A | Must stop collecting stuff!
Old 22-10-2008
Mad Member

i wont ask what colour your ring is Grant
Old 22-10-2008

Send a message via MSN to ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime View Post
i wont ask what colour your ring is Grant
Is that because you already no? Haha
Old 22-10-2008
Mad Member

well it would just be a guess but i'd say.........................................

Old 22-10-2008
Mad Member

LMAO
Schumacher KC, KD, CAT XLS, CAT L1 | Team C TM2 V2, TM4, TC02 | JQ The Car | Mugen MBX6 | Losi 8T,8BE 1.5 | Durango DEX-410V4 | FTX Blaze | XRAY M18T | Kyosho STR,Surf Dude,Nexus 30 | Nimrif Makara | MFA Spear | She Devil | T-Rex 450SEV2,250SE | Ark X-400 | Protech Butterfly,Zoom 400 | Ikarus Piccolo | VW T4 | Smart 450 | KC-250 | BoltRC Kraken 5" | Emax Nighthawk 250 | Gravity 250 | S550 | Prusa i3 | TronXY X5A | Must stop collecting stuff!
Old 22-10-2008
Mad Member

Anybody know if you can buy the losi hard spacers seperatley that people are using as limiters. I have 2 o rings on at the moment but they dont work. Ive done 2 outdrives already.
Old 22-10-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris68nufc View Post
Anybody know if you can buy the losi hard spacers seperatley that people are using as limiters. I have 2 o rings on at the moment but they dont work. Ive done 2 outdrives already.
Chris, when are you racing next? I think I have some spare limiters like I use, if I find them I will put them asside for you and you can have them at Worksop.

Alternatively if you need something sooner - then AE sell a pack of those 0.3 shims (were white, are black in newer kits), and I reckon 3 of those per shock will be just right.
Old 24-10-2008

AE makes some limiters that are about 3mm in size. I found them in my dirt oval parts that I have for my custom works sprint cars. I think they might be called bump stops? I will check to see if I can get a part number on these.

Has anybody heard if there will be a new batch of outdrives made from a different material?
Old 25-10-2008

Default Spacers on the shock shaft

All,

Are the spacers/limiters you are using fitted onto the piston shaft inside the shock or on the outside of the shock?

Cam
Old 25-10-2008
Mad Member

they need to be on the outside of the shock to limit uptravel dude
spacers fitted on the inside limit droop
Old 25-10-2008

tvm
Old 27-10-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

After having a good look at lil Bens SX at York this week it's pretty obvious what's causing all these broken outdrives, and it's not the outdrives or up travel
Old 27-10-2008

It is...?

They are over hardened for sure, anyone with smallest bit of materials knowledge can see that.
Old 27-10-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

But its not the main reason IMO
Old 27-10-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

Down travel?
Old 27-10-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lowe View Post
But its not the main reason IMO
Well do share the info Rich, don't be shy, your not usually.
Old 27-10-2008

edit

Last edited by waggz; 27-10-2008 at 05:08 PM. Reason: edit
Old 27-10-2008

To be fair, Schumacher do you give you the tools for making the diff. The weird composite tools which also deals with turnbuckles and ball grippa (rod ends). Using this would put the out-drive under less strain then gripping using a mole wrench, or pliers or whatever you used.

Either way, unacceptable really. I am beyond certain the outdrives are over-hardened. I have been saying it for ages (since the start of this thread at least) and Schumacher hasn't denied it.

I have been looking at the fractures under a microscope and the size of the crystals suggest over-hardened steel. Out of the 5 types of possible fracture (ductile, brittle, creep, fatigue and environmental) brittle is the most obvious for hardened steel. A brittle fracture is not a bad thing by itself, and is indeed expected from the high strength steels.

The last time I studied fractures, it was in structural integrity where there is always assumed a crack present. However I feel I am right in saying that the same will apply for any material as you just assume the crack or defect is close to infinitely small to begin with, and the same relationships withhold? When you look at the brittle fracture toughness (KIC) of something like high strength steel it is in the region of 70 MPa(root)m and a toughness (GIC) of around 30-90 kJ/m^2. When you compare this to mild steel which has KIC of 140 and GIC of 100 and even a ductile metal like Aluminium with a KIC of 300 and GIC of 500-1000!

This by no means implies hardened steel is weak, it’s the strength of the material that deals with that. However a small difference between yield strength and ultimate tensile strength is what defines a brittle fracture – and is associated with this low fracture toughness. Basically, the lower the fracture toughness is you will typically find the smaller the zone of plastic deformation (lower elasticity). As I say, it’s not bad, you want hard driveshafts otherwise they will mark easily. However by hardening the material initially you reduce the zone of plastic deformation (between YS and UTS). If you harden too much you actually start to reduce the UTS and the YS tends towards the UTS. In summary a small zone of plasticity is fine, it's just when you overharden you loose strength and you loose any ductility to slow the fracture.

On the front end of my car, I am convinced the driveshafts are well clear of fowling the outdrives, yet I am sat here with 3 broken outdrives in front of me from the front of my car. 2 of them had broken when nothing else had broken either. Whether Schumacher admit it or not, I am sure over hardening is the case. I would like to hear your alternate theory Richard although I am not sure I will agree.

I just wish Schumacher would admit more openly about this issue (as in some circumstances it is due to this driveshaft issue, but most it isn’t) so that we can hear what the proposed solution and timescale is.
Old 27-10-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

I'm not sure what you mean when you talk of a driveshaft problem??