Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 04-02-2007

Default 501X runtime

Well the 501X was superb today, helped me to my first offroad win in 20yrs and then did it again 2 races later top car 10/10!!!
Old 04-02-2007
Administrator

Imagine this car in the hands of a National A final quality driver - would be something nice to see.
Old 04-02-2007

Jimmy it would look the bomb, the back straight where we race is very very bumpy, one of the marshalls commented that the 501 rode the bumps and was very flat all the way through that section without any skitting around.

The beauty of this car is it handles straight out of the box, and goes like stink I love it. After running a pred for the last 6 months there is no competition TRF all the way!!!
Old 05-02-2007

Congrats on the win!

Check you PM
Old 05-02-2007

No PM
Old 19-03-2007

501X loaner. I now have a spare 501, that I am letting local decent drivers have a play with, the driver that I let have a go with it yesterday one his race by more than a comfortable margin and left the rostrum with a very stupid grin on his face, declearing that the car was by far the best offroader that he has driven.

Another convert on the way I think, lets see how many we can bring over to the blue side.
Old 19-03-2007

Default Hi all I'm new to this forum

I'm curious as to what you think the differences between the x10 & the 501x are to make it such a winner?
I own an x10 at the moment but I have an eye on the 501x for a while now.
Do you find it a lot easier to drive, setup, service, clean.....
How dirty does it get inside the diffs & belts?
thanks
Old 19-03-2007

Dude, fast easier to drive and setup.

On the service side, diffs require a rebuild after every meeting but I tend to do that with every car that I run, so no biggie there.

The inside has stayed relatively clean and I have raced in some right old muddy conditions, belts are in good condition so no worries at all.

Like everything though it all depends on your driving style as to what you prefer, I never really got on with my pred, stunning car but just didnt work for me.

The TRF suites me better, much better quality of finish, nicer car in general.
Old 19-03-2007

I ran my heavily modified DF-03 last week for the first time in ages, and it's nothing like the 501, it was a real struggle to drive it and I only did 13 laps, if I'd had the 501 on the same track I reckon I could easily have got 17-18 laps out of it. The 501 is sooo easy to drive once you get it set up right. One of the guys at the club where I race had a Pred for ages, and did ok with it, but then switched over to a 501 and commented that it's a lot easier to drive, and he was a lot quicker with it as well. I only know of 1 person who is undecided if he prefers the 501 or the Pred, and that's only cos he prefers the faster acceleration out of corners that shaft drive cars have even though the 501 handles better and is more predictable.
-Steve
Present: Tamiya DF-03
Future: Tamiya TRF501X
Old 19-03-2007

Hi I have both the X10 and a 501x and have been racing with HairSteve for a few years now. We race in doors on polished wood floor.

My son has been quicker with the 501x over his Predator XRS, and as Steve said was alot quicker at our last meeting than he has been with his pred. only a few seconds behind me with X10.

I have tried both using the same cells and motor ( very quick pit change during practise) and i am undecided. I love my X10, the acceleration is amazing but you really have to work with it. Its a car that keeps you on your toes. The 501x on the other hand has been set up with setting taken from Jimmy's set up sheet for york indoors and was great, Looks fantastic with loads of blue bling, and the body shape is awesome, but it just didn't have the acceleration of the Pred.

Both are great cars and as TRf Tastic said the 501x is easier to set and drive, I intend to send a few more weeks with both before making my final decision. But then there is the X11.. Doh!
Old 19-03-2007
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

The 501 wont accelerate as much as the pred due to the fact it's belt driven. From my experiences, belt cars have some what of a 'tubo' in straight line acceleration. At first it wont seem impressive due to the belt stretching slightly, but then the belt will settle down and the upmh will really kick in.

My x-5 didnt have much low down grunt, but mid range and top end was simply amazing.

The view on different cars i have, is use what you are most comfortable with.. you can always improove and make things quicker/better/more consistant over time with abit of work.

Last edited by PaulRotheram; 19-03-2007 at 11:41 PM.
Old 20-03-2007

Thanks boys for the quick reply.
Old 20-03-2007

Send a message via MSN to grindog

Hi, I only have the kit pinion that will fit and the kit spur. I have a Nosram 6.5 Brushless installed. Do you think that this is a little over geared or should be ok?

Thanks, john
Old 20-03-2007

Get some Corally long-boss pinion gears from helger racing, the only thing you'll have to do is dremel the pinion grub screw down cos as standard it sticks out of the pinion hub slightly and chews the belt up. (I speak from experience ) Also get a large B4 spur gear, I think the largest one they do is 87t.
-Steve
Present: Tamiya DF-03
Future: Tamiya TRF501X