Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 14-03-2007
Administrator

Default oOple 501X long term review.

I had a top driver lined up to race the oOple 501X review car, but they had to pull out. The idea really was to make interesting reading, help with setups, write some words on its performance at (uk) Nationals etc. Sort of an on-going long term review from my angle, or a sponsored 4wd drive from another.

I did try hard to find someone of an equally good level to race the car under the oOple banner, but couldn't.

If anyone fits the bill however - racing at UK nationals, of a GOOD level but without a current 4WD sponsor-drive, able to write some semi-coherent words on its performance and provide setups and know what they're doing. Also be must be friendly and well respected (!) then give me a shout!

PM me or email me 'jimmy' (@ this domain) - with some stuff about you.
Really this is for GOOD drivers who can help other 501X drivers and make interesting reading. I'll give it a couple of days and see what interest there is in this (awesome) deal - And then probably announce that vicky will be racing it - guffaw.

The car has a bunch of spares already and ofcourse I intended to get a more & shells, wheels etc.. In terms of other stuff, all I can offer is extreme exposure (your sponsors will like that), custom teamwear with your other sponsors on, stickers - etc..
Old 14-03-2007
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

whats happend to the stig@oople did he get a drive??
Old 14-03-2007

So what are you going to run in 4WD Jimmy?
Old 14-03-2007
Administrator

Not sure Elliott, this isn't like me selling the car - this would be me still involved and putting together articles on the car and helping all the 501X drivers out (or thats the idea).
For me, I have a lot of cool cars already, but also I have to spend a lot of time reviewing cool cars and don't have the time to devote to the 501X. The best I can do for the car is let someone else do well with it.

Needless to say, Tamiya have nothing to do with this
Old 14-03-2007

So are you suggesting Tamiya UK are a bunch of numptys?
Old 14-03-2007
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
whats happend to the stig@oople did he get a drive??
im offended by these comments
Old 14-03-2007
Administrator

That was the shortest couple of days you ever saw!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Thanks for those who already expressed an interest but the stig is back!
Stuart Wood is signed up to drive the oOple-TRF501X during this season in 4WD. Expect great things.
If you don't know Stu, then wait for the press release and driver interviews of Stu and the other core team members for 2007.
Old 14-03-2007
Mad Member

good on jimmy weve bin havin a bet down here i won good look stu with this car im sureull do it proud as tamiya uk hubbyco or wot ever they are called dont give a toss so make some a finals a show em up for the phillesteins the are
Old 14-03-2007
Stu-Perstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
That was the shortest couple of days you ever saw!
Thanks for those who already expressed an interest but the stig is back!
Stuart Wood is signed up to drive the oOple-TRF501X during this season in 4WD. Expect great things.
If you don't know Stu, then wait for the press release and driver interviews of Stu and the other core team members for 2007.

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO>
What a feeling this is! WOW.
Old 14-03-2007
Administrator

Stuart has been secretly testing the 501X indoors and out over the last couple of weeks - with great results. Those who have seen him driving the 501X know the amazing speed and consistency Stu possesses, combined with the handling and durability of the 501X, will make any top team shake in their boots.

"Woody was just TOO fast today, If it goes like that at the National, I predict a top 3 spot , it really was that good ."

"Woody and that Tamiya were rapid. The car just flew round the Bury track ignoring any bumps and jumps. "
Old 14-03-2007
Administrator

Here's Stu winning the recent York Indoor Regional 2wd - 120 drivers!

Old 14-03-2007
Mad Member

Realy pleased for you Stu this looks like it could be a match made in heaven for the both of you, a nice relaxed team for Stu to race in and Jimmy will get a top notch review. Will be good to see the 501 in Stu's red white and blue colours soon. Hope you will still be running the B4 as well Stu as I still need all the help I can get.
Old 14-03-2007
Stu-Perstar

Just to let you know what is going on inside the car, I am fully backed by M-Troniks, Team Scream ( batteries/motors ), Blue-Bird servo's and this is a very good mixture which I dont know why I didnt have these in the past. A big thanks to Oople.com and watch this space.

Last edited by jimmy; 14-03-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old 14-03-2007
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Mulcahy View Post
Realy pleased for you Stu this looks like it could be a match made in heaven for the both of you, a nice relaxed team for Stu to race in and Jimmy will get a top notch review. Will be good to see the 501 in Stu's red white and blue colours soon. Hope you will still be running the B4 as well Stu as I still need all the help I can get.
i think its about time jimmy had some real support from importers manufacturers as his honest reviews dont taint a product more people read his reviews than the mags anyway so show some support,he does most of this off his own back couldnt see the mags doing it,its a real chance for the big boys to get exposure so come on support jimmy
Old 14-03-2007
Administrator

I wouldn't say no, lol. But to make it clear, this car is bought along with a big pile of spares, privately. Tamiya were not interested in replying to my many emails, which is fair enough I suppose .
Old 15-03-2007

I gave up reading the mags a long time ago because the descriptions of the building of the cars was really bad 'and next is the gearbox, which goes at the back of the car'.

The reviews just seemed to really describe the construction in an obvious manner, not mentioning any nice touches or areas of concern.

Most of the reviews gave a really bad or non existant track test. There were no deep analysis of the handling characteristics or setup changes of the cars. Or narrative on the racedays with the cars, to get a feel for how the car would perform.

And the photos were rubbish.

Not like oople.com blah blah blah ...

Elliott.
Old 15-03-2007

The best review I ever saw was for the Kyosho Lazer (the first one). It was in two parts, one article for the construction and the next week another article for a track test, with excellent pictures of the shell painted as a Peregrine Falcon.

My other favorite was the Tamiya Madcap, which was one article with a race report describing the setup changes for an indoor clubnight.

Both were in RRCi.

Elliott.
Old 15-03-2007
Administrator

Cheers mate - I have some photos and need to write up some words about the first few races with the car and how its performed / whats broken.. but with woody driving the car it will get the best test around.
Old 15-03-2007

Good on ya Woody and Jimmy, it will be nice to see this car in the hands of a good driver. It deserves the exposure to let all the other drivers know what a great car it is.

If there is anything I can do to offer support please dont hesitate to let me know.
Old 15-03-2007
Administrator

Thanks very much for the help you have already given mate - It will be hard work but I am certain of great things with woody this season. The only thing that scares me is breaking something we can't fix, but hopefully we can pool resources with other owners incase something that should never break - breaks!