Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 27-12-2007

Default Radio Gear for DI

Hi guys,

New to the forums, and to the world of modern RC.
I have just purchased a Dark Impact Kit. I am currently looking at the equipment needed to set it up to run. I've found a ESC that I like, and am currently looking at radio gear. My question is to do with how many servos do I need? Do I still need two? Or because of the ESC do I just need one?
The last car I had didnt't have a ESC, and pretty sure it had two servos. Is it still the same with the ESC cars of today?? Sorry for the noob question, but would love to get it cleared up.

Cheers
Paul
Old 27-12-2007
Administrator

Hi Paul,
No you only need the one servo, for the steering and an ESC for the throttle. Tamiya don't supply the mechanical (requires servo) speed controllers any longer as far as I'm aware.
Old 27-12-2007

wow, thanks alot for the quick reply, and clearing it up for me!!
Old 27-12-2007

also, would there be any benefit in purchasing a more expensive three channel system, instead of the cheaper 2 channels, when all I'm really wanting to do with it bash it, not race it?
Old 27-12-2007
Administrator

I'm not honestly aware of any use for a third channel - my Sanwa has a third channel - great some something I'm sure but a 10th scale electric buggy, nah.

A more expensive transmitter usually feels nicer to use - maybe also has some useful functions.
Old 29-12-2007

At this stage I have found a setup which I like, (mainly due to cost) that I would like to hear any opinions about.

http://www.rcplanet.com/Futaba_2PL_2...o_p/futk01.htm
http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...330CR&CartID=1

Those are the two items which I am considering. Is the fact that the radio is only AM a big issue? I am not interested in racing, only bashing round a bit, so am really not sure if it worth spending the money on a fm system etc, when I really just need something simple (as far as I know). So will this setup be reliable and suitable for what I want?
Old 06-01-2008

AM is not as good as FM (in terms of range, interference, reliability) and then FM synthesized was the more advanced tech for awhile and then came 2.4Ghz spread spectrum technologies which blew them all away. I guess what I'm trying to say is there should be a lot of people trying to make the switch to the latest tech, so you should be able to pick out a good deal on a used FM set.

Personally, I would go with a used FM set rather than a brand new AM one. It might be cheaper that way too. And for a basher, an FM digital set is pretty much a keeper. But of course, if you're buying used stuff, make sure you test it out.