Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > oOple Talk

Old 31-08-2012
Administrator

Default 10 years to the day!

Today - 1st Sept 2012 is 10 years to the day I raced for the first time. Before that, this website was dedicated to vintage rc buggies, with lots of old manuals and general madness like that.

My first race was Sunday 1st September 2002 at Batley. I'd bought a 2nd hand Losi XXX Kinwald car off ebay for a laugh and it came with a mountain of spares - too good to just dick about with so I decided to try have a go at racing.

I bought a nice servo, an LRP esc and I think an LRP 14x2 motor - and used green schumacher mini spikes. I ended up about halfway up the order - mid C final i think - in my first race. Right alongside my good chum John Price who's still right next to me results wise when we race - well, when I've had some practice anyway.

Here's me in August 2002 I think - just chucking my Losi around the track to see what it was all about.

I guess this was 2003 - I got my first 4WD, the Losi XXX - but I could dump my cells in 2 minutes with my agressive driving which is why I prefer a one way in all my cars as it forces me to calm down.

Soon after starting racing I got a touring car also since my chum John was racing them at the time as well - and they were far more popular than the buggies. This is a £100 Yokomo MR4TC Custom - a bendy plastic car with more grip than anything else ever.

Old 01-09-2012
Mini-Jimmy

Send a message via MSN to Mrs oOple

Happy Anniversary!

I was working the weekend that Jimmy first raced at Batley, this day 10 years ago... Little did I realise at the time that I would have to work many many more weekends to fund the 'chucking the car around the track' hobby developed into an expensive photography hobby, which in turn morphed somehow into a time consuming r/c website at the forefront of r/c racing in the UK (meaning I hardly ever find time to work a weekend any more). Or something like that.

It's been an interesting journey so far and I think oOple has much further to go. As I've said before and I'll say again, we both work full time in demanding jobs and dedicate most of our spare time to bringing top website content to y'all And we wouldn't have been able to continue doing this if it wasn't for the help and support of our friends and stooges, and the support we receive from our advertisers and sponsors. Roll on the next 10 years of oOple, and then some

It was our 7th wedding anniversary this week too, which google tells me is represented by either wool or copper, I'll celebrate with me new oOple hoody then

Old 01-09-2012
Administrator

Erm, I'm not sure there's any wool, or copper, in your oOple hoody? Are you on crack?
Old 01-09-2012

It's an absolute pleasure having both Mr & Mrs Storey in our Rc world!
You both should be very proud of your accomplishments to our great sport!!!
It's a better Rc world with you both!!!
Happy anniversary

Dc x
Old 01-09-2012
Mad Member

Haha pretty cool, looks like the photography was there at the beginning as well . It's my 10 wedding annervsary next week, think I'll google it .

Oh and congrats on both the 7 and 10 years

Schumacher F1..The original KF.
TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 01-09-2012
Mini-Jimmy

Send a message via MSN to Mrs oOple

Cheers guys

Ten years - wikipedia says tin or alooooominum! Aluminium turnbuckles? Or a tin of beans? Good luck getting creative with that one

Old 01-09-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs oOple View Post
Cheers guys

Ten years - wikipedia says tin or alooooominum! Aluminium turnbuckles? Or a tin of beans? Good luck getting creative with that one
I like the idea of titanium turn buckles better, oh well looks like Heinz have another sales of beans

Schumacher F1..The original KF.
TLR 5.0 AC .. FORSALE
Old 01-09-2012

i skimmed your motor in that xxx on your first meet i think boss
Reedy
DJ KIRKY
Old 01-09-2012

Send a message via MSN to russmini

Congrats Jimmy and Vicky. The job that oOple does is awesome in the UK, and to be fair, further afield as well.
I for one am glad a hobby or two took over your life and thus ended up bringing joy to the masses.
All the hard work is always gratefully received. Please keep it up, we love ya!

p.s. Congrats on 7 years wedded bliss as well. It was my 7th Wedding Anniversary on 27th August. So perhaps its a year where the numbers 7 and 10 are Lucky!