Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 08-07-2013

Default Optima Mid Custom Special- your help please

It's time I got this car out on to the race track for some vintage racing. It's been more than 3 years since I have done any racing and I am rusty to say the least.

I'm looking for some assistance from anyone knowledgably with Optima Mids and gearing to be honest.

The Car.
When I built this thing car I added ball diffs, a hardened after market idler and an aftermarket spur hub and TUFNOL spur gear. I opted to go with Yokomo alloy wheel adapters to accommodate JC Racing 2.2" rims and modern day rubber. I will most likely stay with 'HoleShot' tyres or the like.

The Track.
tracks I will be driving on are primarily dirt/clay. From what I know the surface is usually a little loose but I will need to confirm this in the coming months.

Ok with this in mind I want to run a brushed motor. I have a 14 turn Double wind OZcharge motor that works well. It's been skimmed and runs efficiently. ESC wise I have a TEKIN FX Pro and batteries are 4200 Lipo saddles.

I am no expert with roll out and gear ratios (or even motor temps for that matter) so this is where you guys come in. From what I have heard the car has an internal gear ratio of 2.64:1 and the car has a 48dp 87 tooth spur gear. Pinion is currently a 20 tooth for starters.

With your suggestions I will purchase some B4 spur gears so I can fit the custom slipper layshaft my friend Jake (Seabass on 10TALK) sent me.
Here's a pic of Jake's-

Please feel free to post any suggestions or comments that you think will contribute to this car's rebirth onto the race track.

***always on the hunt for vintage KO ESC's***
Old 08-07-2013
Mad Member

Is this going to be raced against my mid soon mate?
Old 08-07-2013

You know Dan, I did have it in mind . Would be good if I could offer you some kind of competition.

***always on the hunt for vintage KO ESC's***