Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 17-03-2013

Default Vintage ULTIMA evolution

Much like the Lazer evo thread I was wondering if there is anyone that knows the full line up of old school Ultima 2WD buggies.

As far as I know there was the frame caged original Ultima, followed by the Turbo Ultima, Ultima Pro and the Ultima Pro XL. I am sure there are some variations on the Ultima Pro as it seemed there was an alloy pan version as well as graphite.

Please someone straighten me out with these cars

***always on the hunt for vintage KO ESC's***
Old 17-03-2013

Default ultima history, see picture

You can see how the ultima evolved in the years but i certainly like the ultima pro and XL and ultima II turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORMAC View Post
Much like the Lazer evo thread I was wondering if there is anyone that knows the full line up of old school Ultima 2WD buggies.

As far as I know there was the frame caged original Ultima, followed by the Turbo Ultima, Ultima Pro and the Ultima Pro XL. I am sure there are some variations on the Ultima Pro as it seemed there was an alloy pan version as well as graphite.

Please someone straighten me out with these cars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ultima_House_history.jpg (261.7 KB, 91 views)
Old 20-03-2013
Mad Member

The original Ultima has the plain alloy channel chassis with round head screws underneath. Plastic moulded full length top deck. The original Ultima and Turbo Ultima are limited to stick pack batteries, all other cars give you the option of stick or saddle packs. Comes with small red anodised shocks that are much shorter than the standard Kyosho shocks used on all later Ultimas. Aluminium shock mounts unique to the chassis due to short shocks, all others had a different longer style in varying materials for the much bigger shocks used on them. Moulded plastic fixed length suspension upper links, with front anti roll bar attached through holes in the upper arms and mounted on top deck. Gear diff and metal bushings in the gearbox with dogbones. Unique narrow dune buggy body, almost all other Ultimas used the same shell starting with the Turbo Ultima. White wheels unique to the Ultima. Mabuchi 540 motor.

Turbo Ultima has bronze anodised aluminium channel chassis, the same design as the original Ultima but thicker so it can be countersunk underneath. Full length top deck is similar to Ultima but in black fibreglass. Stick pack batteries only. Platinum shocks with fibreglass shock mounts. Threaded rod upper suspension links. Front and rear anti roll bars included. Ball diff and ball bearings in gearbox, and UJs. Body is the standard Ultima Pro full body and rear wing is mounted with wing tubes on top deck and wing wire. Chrome plated Optima Mid style wheels. Le Mans 240ST motor.

Ultima Pro (with white body) has a flat bronze anodised alloy chassis with saddle pack cut outs with a full length fibreglass radio plate. Gold Shocks on standard fibreglass shock mounts. Turnbuckle upper suspension links. Front and rear anti roll bars. Ball diff and bearings but dogbones instead of UJs. 48dp spur gear, shared only with the ProII/XL, all others use 0.6 module spur. Includes Option House motor guard. Body is the Pro body with wing on wing wire. Wheels are yellow Mid style wheels. No motor or MSC.

Sideways is a standard original Ultima with extra wide wheels and tyres and a sprint car style body and plastic cage and side nerf wings. Original Ultima alloy channel chassis with round head screws underneath. Plastic moulded full length top deck. Standard black plastic shocks and tall alloy shock mounts. Moulded plastic fixed length suspension upper links. Gear diff and metal bushings in the gearbox with dogbones. Mabuchi 540 motor.

Ultima II has the flat Kelron reinforced plastic chassis and full length Kelron top deck. Saddle pack locations moulded into chassis with stick pack mounts on top deck. Kyoshos standard black plastic shocks and aluminium shock mounts that have extra holes for wing mounts. Threaded rod upper suspension links. No anti roll bars. All Ultima II cars (II, Turbo II and Pro II) have new front uprights and steering knuckles with extra adjustment holes. Gear diff and metal bushings, and dogbones. Standard Pro body but with rear of shell cut off, rear wing mounted to shock mount using Triumph wing mounts. Yellow Mid style wheels. Le Mans Stock 05 motor.

Turbo Ultima II is an upgraded Ultima II. Kelron 3mm thick plastic chassis with fibreglass top deck. Gold shocks with fibreglass shock mounts. Turnbuckle suspension links. Anti roll bars. Ball diff and ball bearings with UJs. Standard Pro body but with rear of shell cut off, rear wing mounted to shock mount using Triumph wing mounts. Green Mid style wheels. Outlaw Stock Mega Motor.

Ultima II Pro, or Pro XL (with black body) has a few unique parts. This chassis has a unique long arm suspension with adjustable rear toe in and rear width due to outer end of wishbones having a pair of ball joints and turnbuckles to mount the uprights. Lazer ZX rear uprights to go with new rear arms. Has a fibreglass chassis with 13mm longer wheelbase chassis. No top deck, it has a short rear plate for mounting ESC and wing wire mounts, and a short front plate to brace the steering posts to the front bulkhead. Saddle pack batteries only. Gold shocks on fibreglass shock mounts and anti roll bars. Turnbuckle upper links. Ball diff and ball bearings with dogbones, but with new gearbox moulding and motor mounting plate. Alloy final drive pinion, all others used plastic gear. 48dp spur gear. Includes Option House motor guard. Body is the Pro body with wing on wing wire. Wheels are yellow Mid style wheels. No motor or MSC.
Old 13-04-2013

Reviving an old thread here

How can I tell the PRO and PROXL Gearbox and motor plates apart?
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Optima Mid Custom Special
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 13-04-2013
Mad Member

I know the ProXL has different part numbers for the gearbox, motor plate and gear cover, but it uses the same internals as the Pro, fits the same chassis locations and bulkhead, and mounts the same motor guard.

There are no obvious visible differences at all, maybe a change of material, but it would need someone to compare them side by side to confirm any differences.
Old 13-04-2013

Terry, do you know the release dates of the Ultima models?
Thank's for the info!!!
Old 14-04-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiman View Post
Terry, do you know the release dates of the Ultima models?
Thank's for the info!!!
Simple answer, no.

Having had a look through the Kyosho mini catalogues over on retromodelisme, the years of release should be:

Ultima 1987
Turbo Ultima 1988
Ultima Pro 1989
Sideways 1990
Ultima II 1990
Turbo Ultima II 1991
Ultima Pro XL 1991

1992 the Triumph was released.
Old 14-04-2013

Cool! Thanks!
I do want to add an original Ultima to my collection as well.
Old 15-04-2013

I'm adding an XL to my collection, though I need the longer wishbones, anyone have any?
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Optima Mid Custom Special
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S