Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 05-07-2015

Default Vampire SR1+ faulty?

Hi all,

ive got a Vampire SR1+ and a Vampire 6.5 motor, ive got an issue where i turn on the power switch and the speedo doesnt work, it makes its first startup sound and the steering works but the second sound doesnt happen.

ive got to turn it off/on a few times before it will work and when it does work it can take 10 seconds before the second sound and its fully turned on. when it does work it runs perfectly fine without issue. managed to do a meeting like this - sometimes i got it going after a few goes but before the final it took me 4 minutes of turning off and on before it would work

so far ive just changed the sensor cable which made no difference. ive checked all the connections loads of times and everything feels secure and connected ok.

wondering where the fault lies, is it likely to be speedo or motor? both are about 18 months old and always been run together.

thanks in advance
Old 05-07-2015

Why don't you try a different motor that way at least you'll know if it is the motor?
Old 05-07-2015

I had the same thing and it turned out to be a bad solder joint , I'd be trying a different motor to rule it out . Have you another esc to try the vampire motor .
Old 05-07-2015
Mad Member

You tried calibrating the tx/rx/esc.
I had a similar issue for several weeks, until I worked out that the esc wouldn't finish it's self test/start up until it had a zero throttle signal from the rx.
Which it wasnt getting, that tiny bit of drift in the electronics was giving just enough throttle to throw the esc, but not enough to make anything move. Not a vampire esc, but it's worth trying!
Old 05-07-2015

Thanks for the tips - Matt think you were on the money - i've recalibrated the speedo and now cannot replicate the fault so think it was a simple as that, useful to know as i wouldnt have thought to try that!

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2015

I've had two SR1+ speed controllers go down within the last 12 months. The first did what yours is doing and then completely stopped working. The second started playing up at about 3-4 months old and had to be collaborated every time you plugged it in. I tried everything and finally resorted to trying a different brand which works fine. It's a shame because I did like the way it worked prior to any issues.
Old 05-07-2015
Mad Member

The vampire sr1 will not start up if any of the trims etc have been moved from when you calibrated the speedo. One thing that can cause this is when your tranny pot starts to go (pretty common)

Failing that by re calibrating it will re set and work fine (as you discovered)

It is a great idea in principle, but always the last thing you think of when it happens!! But it will always keep your settings the same.
Old 05-07-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris24jt View Post
Matt think you were on the money

Good stuff, hope it's not the start of a more expensive failure!