Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 12-11-2006

Default Dark Impact drivetrain strength

I have an LRP Sphere Competition/NEO-One "4 Star" Combo here that I Have been waiting to put into something. I also have an unbuilt Dark Impact waiting to be built.

Would this ESC/motor combo be too much for the trnsmission? As I was planning on buying a standard brushed motor and ESC?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 12-11-2006
Spends too long on oOple ...

make sure you build the rear diff realy well, put CVD's at least on the front and run a slipper clutch.
Old 12-11-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
make sure you build the rear diff realy well, put CVD's at least on the front and run a slipper clutch.
Thats just what I wanted to hear. Thanks. I have a slipper on order and CVD's also. Will take my time building the rear diff.

I have read of a couple of issues with the rear outdrives wearing, is there a remedy for this also?

Thanks DCM.:thumleft:
Old 12-11-2006
Mad Member

http://www.rcstation.com/eshop/catal...oducts_id=4919

this product might help!?

N
Old 12-11-2006

the reason they wear is due to the enormous amount of unnecessary droop on the rear, limit the shocks a little and that solves it.

I ran mine today, after me tourer decided it wanted time out after round 2 today, and with a 19t fitted in the DF03, managed to sneak it in the A at fifth place.
Old 12-11-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
the reason they wear is due to the enormous amount of unnecessary droop on the rear, limit the shocks a little and that solves it.

I ran mine today, after me tourer decided it wanted time out after round 2 today, and with a 19t fitted in the DF03, managed to sneak it in the A at fifth place.
Yup, gonna limit the droop and fit those HD outdrives. Thanks for the link.

Congrats on the fifth place. Really looking forward to building the DI now. Pitty the KM-RC.com conversion isnt out yet
Old 12-11-2006

look between 5-8mm internal spacer on the rear and about 5-7mm on the front, that should do it, now all I got to do is work out how to quiten down from front CVD's.....
Old 13-11-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiloliver View Post
Just ordered a set. Have you used these guys before? Whats the service like
Old 15-11-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifteenthNeo View Post
Just ordered a set. Have you used these guys before? Whats the service like
Well, i placed an order with rcstation and they seem to be a bit slow in responding to orders although I have paid and everything has cleared. My order status still says "pending" after 3 days. Has anyone ordered from these guys before? What was your experience with ordering from them like?
Old 16-11-2006

Did they email you? I had the same thing with RCMart once. Checked my email a few days later and found out they've been trying to tell me they were out of stock on one item and held the rest of the order until I replied. They didnt give me back cash neither, just store credit. I wasn't happy about that.
Old 16-11-2006

Well, I atually had an email yesterday and also mya ccount had been updated online. Seems to be slightly lost in translations as the order status gave a shipping/tracking number but the delivery status was set at "DELIVERED" I have been checking the tracking number online but up to this point nothing can be found. Perhaps the number hasnt entered the system.

I think I have got used to the awesome service I get from Stellamodels in Hong Kong. They are brilliant with there service. These guys aren't quite on the spot.
Old 16-11-2006

Some of the postal services from over there isn't the best, Singapore post is terrible.
Old 24-11-2006

Hi guys,

I still haven't built my DF-03 yet. I got some extra driveshaft pin protectors with my TA-05 aluminium upgrade diff halves, so naturally, I test-fitted them on all the dogbones and CVD's I can get my hands on. The first ones I tried were the DF-03 dogbones but I found the pins too long and I couldn't get the protectors on. Bummer! Today, I finally found my old DF-03 CVDs and to my eye, the pins looked really short. I test-fitted them with the protectors and of course, they are the same as the touring car ones and the protectors fit them! I am going to buy myself a set of these pin protectors (Tamiya Swing Shaft Protectors - item 53890) to put on all the universals. They won't fit without modification so the next phase is going to be to widen the slots in the diff cups. I have a set of 3Racing diff cups as a spare in case I mess up.

In this pic, the original DF-03 dogbones are on the left. The DF-02 CVD/universals are on the right. The pins are smaller on the DF-02 CVDs, so this might mean they might fall out at large angles (at full droop).
Also, to my eye, it looks like the balls on the stock DF-03 dogbones are smaller, which might explain why they have a tendency to wear out the diff cups (all that rattling in there). With this in mine, the DF-02 CVDs with the bigger balls may or may not have the same problem as the stock bones, but I intend to try the plastic protector mod anyway.

Hmm, it just occured to me that this would increase the total length of the shaft and it might bind against the diff at full compression. Do you guys think there would be enough space for the protector (about 2mm extra, I think).

Last edited by sim; 29-11-2006 at 03:40 AM.
Old 24-11-2006

Hmm, just realised something else. The old diff nut carrier is now too loose. The swing shaft protector set gives only 1 nut carrier with bigger lugs (for the bigger slots), so that means I have to buy 2 sets for both diffs. This is getting more expensive as I go along. I just finished dremelling the diff cups too.
Old 24-11-2006

be wary, where you been dremmeling, it may well of softened the steel outdrive, locally.
Old 25-11-2006

I've managed to widen the diff cups and installed everything. It seems okay so far, but those DF-02 CVDs sure are long and they're binding the suspension a little bit. I cut one of those urethane pieces that go into the diff cup (originally meant to help keep the dogbones centred) and put the two halves into each each diff to help keep the dirt off the diff nut and thrust bearing. The swing shaft protectors are bumping into these pieces before I reach full compression. It still looks like it has a decent amount of travel, but not a full stroke on the shocks.

And ya, I think I've significantly weakened the diff cups but I'm not running anything faster than a 23-turn on mine, so I hope it is enough. It's just an experiment because nobody else have tried it yet. If they break, the protectors are coming off and the 3Racing diff cups are going in.