Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 26-04-2006

Send a message via MSN to craigosh

well champ have just told me that the shocks for the DI will be released end of june so i reckon thats when we'll see the slipper as well..

Hopefully it will have a better design than the one on my dynastorm.. it has like 4 little plates inside a special housing... works but is a pain to maintain and now squeels as the pads are a bit worn..
Old 26-04-2006
Spends too long on oOple ...

I am just wondering if the option of having the gear pressed off the layshaft and having a lashaft machined to accept a B4 unit is viable at the mo.
Old 26-04-2006
Administrator

Hmm, was gonna do the Mini Frog next, but I wonder if I could handle building the Impact tomorrow and friday in time to race it at bury this weekend ?? I think that would be a good track to test the car on.. Dont know if I have the energy to get it done in time tho
Old 26-04-2006

Send a message via MSN to craigosh

Its a tamiya lad it'll go together in a night.. then you got plenty of time to tinker with the setup and try to fit some decent shocks, and lets face it theres no point running the plastic ones. Last time i did that (10 year ago!!) they just blew up all the time.

I think its worth waiting to see what the slipper is like from tamiya, it would be nice to get it sooner but it'd be a load of hasstle i'd of tought to adapt the b4. The top force runs ok sans slipper so i'd imagine as long as you dont but anything to mad in it then the DI will be ok for a bit.
Old 26-04-2006

Well, there is room under the gear cover for a slipper assembly....

Plastic shocks are ok actualy, mine survived a while, just bong me on MSN when you come to build them!!! The only thing that you got to take time in building is the Diffs, otherwise it falls together. Only thing, stock settings for the steering links gives to much toe-out, plus the B4 turnbuckles fit, so if you got a spare set.....
Old 26-04-2006
Administrator

Should be alright like you say.

The build thing is a lot more involved than just building it i'm afraid. I have mi laptop, scales and calipers at hand, not to mention 2 cameras, a tripod, etc etc.. I think with the ZX5 review, mi first, I built the car, big chunk at a time, then wrote from memory.. where the others have all been at the time, with the laptop next to me, so its a lot slower. The ZX5 was started, raced, and published in about 2 days.

Maybe I can try it the ZX5 way again and just take photos as Im building it.
Old 26-04-2006

What about recording notes audiowise as mp3 or whatever?
You could even make podcast out of it!
Old 26-04-2006

AS long as he dont sound like Chazz, sorry dude, you remind me of Kermit the frog... heehee
Old 27-04-2006

Cool, Ive found another place to chat about the DI

Some familiar names too

I really have to get round to painting mine, I've already run it quite a few times but only with a clear body

I've installed a few more hop-ups on mine now, so basically I think it's race ready (and ready to win )

I am running DF02 alloy shocks, DF02 CVD's, some 3-racing turnbuckles, Gear adaptor and hinge pin braces (from Gary on the Tamiya Club).

It still amazes me that this is a 4wd, it looks so slim and small next to any other car
Old 27-04-2006
Administrator

What are these hinge braces all about then ? Ive not actually built the car yet, I'll start it next week I think in time for the weekend. If the kit shocks are a bit pants I guess I'll put some associated b4 ones on just to test it out.
Old 27-04-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy
What are these hinge braces all about then ? Ive not actually built the car yet, I'll start it next week I think in time for the weekend. If the kit shocks are a bit pants I guess I'll put some associated b4 ones on just to test it out.
Hey Jimmy, great site I'm a regular visitor but never realised you had a forum.

One of the guys from the Tamiya Club forums (who luckily lives about 10 minutes from my house) has made an alloy gear adaptor plus a pair of carbon fibre hinge-pin braces.

The standard inboard hinge-pins are about 3 mm too long, so I assume Tamiya will offer up their own versions soon enough, but I grabbed these in the meantime.
The front one fits just like the brace on a B4, XXX etc, at the front of the arms, the rear one is supposed to go at the front of the rear arms - but I found that it restricted the motor movement too much so I did a bit of dremeling to the rear bumper and put the brace on the back of the rear arms

Tamiya cars are traditionally a little sloppy in this area so the braces both strengthen that area and remove some slop
Old 27-04-2006
Administrator

do you have any links to the photos of the mods on your car ?
Any idea if the wheels are similar offset to the kyosho zx5 ?

Sounds like I need to make a bigger link to my forum then! Possibly a review sub section on the main page also rather than just bung everything in action photos
Old 27-04-2006

I have checked the off-set on older kyosho wheels and they have a greater off-set so would make the car to wide Jim. I am trying to find a set of Academy wheels to check the off-set against though.

GSstorms conversion is good, but I am thinking I would rather spend the money on a layshaft to fit a B4 slipper than a stock gear, running the car on grass is hammering the diffs at the mo.
Old 27-04-2006

Sorry, no pics of my car yet (though my camera is that crappy that you'd be hard pressed to see any detail )

As DCM said the Kyosho rims are too wide. The Academy rims might work better as when I put Kyosho rims on my son's Griffin it made that car wider too - so I'm assuming the Academy rims have a narrower offset.

The new rims are pretty cheap though, only US$4.50 pair.
Old 27-04-2006
Administrator

poop!
ah well.. I was thinking of running the kyosho and tamiya back to back at Tiverton National maybe, but cant splash out on that many tyres so wanted to share wheels.
Old 27-04-2006
Super Moderator

I'm sure you can beg some Kyosho cast offs Jimmy!!
Old 29-04-2006

Hey, I've finally got some pics of mine

Old 29-04-2006

Send a message via MSN to darryl

now that is a nice looking car ,i think i may invest in one when they finally become available here
tenth technology predator xk98
Old 01-05-2006

we hade one racin today at Kiddy for the midwest regional think it finished in the C / D. It looked ok nothing sparkling but there is potential.

It was running some alloy shocks and carbon towers but was definatley lacking from steering mainly due to poor lock. Not exactly how the thoughts were going into solving the lock as i had to get my car ready but the car did look good in a near out of the box condition.
Old 01-05-2006

Interesting,

I finnished mine and just need to paint it. I was looking at the steering and I thought that lock to lock it look a little constricted. Overall was not very happy with the steering set up. The first time I assembled the top brace that goes over it, it actually caused it to bind a bit. I loosened and re-tightened the screws and that seemed to fix it.

I should paint it and get the electronics into it and have it up and running this week.

Then to other cars