Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Newcastle RC Racers

Old 06-01-2016

Default Hello Everyone

Hello Everyone

I am an old member of the club from its days at Longbenton high school having been introduced to RC Racing Cars in my early teens by my neighbours Pat and Eddie.

I haven't raced for nigh on 16/17 years and i am seriously thinking of getting back into it but from talking to Lazy Surfer via email the last couple of days and looking at a few videos, the technology and speed is way way advanced. i hope to pop in on a monday night soon to see the racing first hand as well.

Can anyone provide an old noob with some advice on the following questions if possible relating to Touring Cars..

what chassis/manufacturer these days? in my day it was tamiya, schumacher and kyosho had just started making waves

tyres? - i still have a load of schumacher yellow mini pins and also slicks from when the club would race on carpet on a sunday although ive seen rally blocks are starting to be a fave

transponders - the club used to provide these with the print out timing system in the past, whats the deal now?

crystals? still in use? i still have some with my futaba controller

batteries? i understand these are now completely different

and finally

if i wanted a decent competitive set up ready to go maybe 2nd hand so i can get acquainted to it what sort of pricing would i be looking at
Old 20-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie1892 View Post
Hello Everyone

I am an old member of the club from its days at Longbenton high school having been introduced to RC Racing Cars in my early teens by my neighbours Pat and Eddie.

I haven't raced for nigh on 16/17 years and i am seriously thinking of getting back into it but from talking to Lazy Surfer via email the last couple of days and looking at a few videos, the technology and speed is way way advanced. i hope to pop in on a monday night soon to see the racing first hand as well.

Can anyone provide an old noob with some advice on the following questions if possible relating to Touring Cars..

what chassis/manufacturer these days? in my day it was tamiya, schumacher and kyosho had just started making waves

Still the same as above are around with a few new ones, pop along to the club on a Monday for a chat.= - if you still have anything drivable, bring it

tyres? - i still have a load of schumacher yellow mini pins and also slicks from when the club would race on carpet on a sunday although ive seen rally blocks are starting to be a fave
Tyres are still debatable, pins, blocks and semi slicks all seem to be comparable at the moment, just a case of balancing overall grip with lifespan.

transponders - the club used to provide these with the print out timing system in the past, whats the deal now?

Club uses AMB personal transponders now - around £70 new - not much less second hand if you can manage to find a second hand one!

crystals? still in use? i still have some with my futaba controller

I'm still on 27mhz and I think I might be the only one so unlikely to get a colour clash!! Crystals are fine

batteries? i understand these are now completely different

Yes but if your Ni-Cd s still have lide you can use them - Li-Po are a 100% improvement tho as are brushless motors

and finally - below depends what you have/need - always stuff for sale cheaply.

if i wanted a decent competitive set up ready to go maybe 2nd hand so i can get acquainted to it what sort of pricing would i be looking at
Steve - see inserts to your questions above - tho I think I covered most in my email the other week

Mark

Pop along on Monday mate
Old 20-01-2016

cheers Mark

yeah i will pop along on Monday night to watch and see the AGM

Thanks for those answers, it helps me making my list off stuff
Old 19-04-2016

Hi Steve

Any closer to being back on track as yet?

Currently running Schumachers Cat K1 Aero and Cougar KF, with my son running the Cat K1
Old 19-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulainscow View Post
Hi Steve

Any closer to being back on track as yet?
Hello Paul

Getting there, i will be back working in the north east from April 26th so hopefully when i have money together i will be back asap.

Im seriously thinking of scowens stuff but had already said to gary i would have his Mi5. So i have a dilemma as Andys stuff has everything i need to start and go straight away
Old 19-04-2016

Do what is right and cost effective for you mate. Im sure neither will mind you buying the others, as they will see the positive for a new racer

Currently running Schumachers Cat K1 Aero and Cougar KF, with my son running the Cat K1
Old 20-04-2016

I'm not sure if Gary's racing his Mi5 again - I know he broke something on the HPI the other week and said that he couldn't get spares!
Old 20-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazysurfer View Post
I'm not sure if Gary's racing his Mi5 again - I know he broke something on the HPI the other week and said that he couldn't get spares!
ah right ok. Andys stuff just has everything i need to go, and also maybe better for a re-beginner
Old 26-04-2016

Just get one of them bought and get yourself on the track
No racing 2n'd May so plenty time to get sorted for 9th!
Old 03-05-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazysurfer View Post
Just get one of them bought and get yourself on the track
No racing 2n'd May so plenty time to get sorted for 9th!
just sent you a private message with new email on
Old 03-05-2016

Ok Steve. I'll update it on the weekly report 😃