Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Ansmann Racing

Old 07-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdigger View Post
I was just stating that it would be better to get a 8.5 / 7.5, and if that is not fast enough buy bigger volt lipos rather than a 5.5t motor and have the best of both worlds. I have a 5.5t and everyone has said the same thing ''oh dear''. Should have got a 8.5 !

Also I have now got my lipos and will fix the car asap and let you folks know how it is. If anyone has a 8.5t and can get hold of a 11.1v lipo I'd (and possible others) would be interested to know what it's like.
As far as I'm aware you won't be able to use more than a 2s pack if you're racing. As previously stated my 8.5T setup with 4600 40C cells is a great combination of punch and top end in most conditions, I only want more went the track is totally dry, and even then I'd probably only go to 7.5 or may be 6.5.

Being a race-head I've never seen the point of the 'how fast is it mister' argument... as long as the answer is 'fast enough to beat you' I'm good.

If you want to run 11.1 for bashing it'll be nuts I would think, just make sure you have your slipper and diff set on the money, and keep some spare transmission parts around... chances are you'll need them sooner or later.

I have run a 6.5T on 4500 30C's in my DEX and that's ballistic, my old man reactions are only just good enough to keep up with it. How the big guns run 5.5T is beyond me.
Old 14-03-2011

Default Update

Just thought i'd say that my little rat is all good so far. Running a 5.5t ezrun on 5000mah lipo batts, only other upgrades are a standard set of bearings.
Took the car to work today and blusted it around the field(and to portchester indoor track). Goes like stink and the gear box is still in one piece, which is real good, considering I'm using the idle gear thats half worn out.
Old 14-03-2011

Default thanks

that is good news that it is working. I have an rc10b4 as well as a rat and for reasons I won't go into I have 5.5 and 6.5 motors to try in them.

Then I have a jump to 10.5 and 13.5 so I'm on the lookout for some 8.5 or something like that to fill the gap. Motors are second hand from the states so they dont cost a bomb.

If I can bash my cars with 5.5 and 6.5 and still get some decent run time and gear them ok then that would be really good.

edit: iamdigger sorry if you mentioned it before but what spur/pinion are you running in that rat with 5.5t?
Old 14-03-2011

Mines running good withe the 5.5 t ezrun aswell! Raced it last weekend like ya said goes like stink really pleased with it!!
Old 15-03-2011

Default spur and pin

Just running the standard stuff you get in the box tbh, just with bearing.
Old 15-03-2011

Can anybody in the know answer my question?
Isn't the turn rating irrelevant here, and just the Kv of importance?
IE- if a 8.5t motor at 4000Kv was compared to a 10t at 4500Kv, wouldn't the 10t motor be faster used with the same voltage pack?
Maybe i'm missing something, but enlightenment would be appreciated.
Old 16-03-2011

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by damselfly View Post
Can anybody in the know answer my question?
Isn't the turn rating irrelevant here, and just the Kv of importance?
IE- if a 8.5t motor at 4000Kv was compared to a 10t at 4500Kv, wouldn't the 10t motor be faster used with the same voltage pack?
Maybe i'm missing something, but enlightenment would be appreciated.
You'll get more revs, yes, if you gear both the same - however, if the 8.5T has much more torque, you can gear it much higher, making it faster than the 10T anyway.

When calculating speed, you have to account for gearing and rollout (actual circumference of the tyre).

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 16-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmo View Post
You'll get more revs, yes, if you gear both the same - however, if the 8.5T has much more torque, you can gear it much higher, making it faster than the 10T anyway.

When calculating speed, you have to account for gearing and rollout (actual circumference of the tyre).
Hi,

Thanks for the response.

I was thinking along the same lines, but wasn't sure.

My velineon motor that was stock on my Traxxas truck ( 10t 3500Kv I believe ) seems real arsekick in comparison to my fusion 10.5t 4500Kv, in that it seems too powerful. I love both motors though, I really do, even though the Kv and turns are very very similar.
Do you know of any reference websites that show motor torques ETC?
Seems that Kv and turns are pretty unimportant until you start reading into the deep spec's.