Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 18-09-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
Hi

I converted my KO Univ 3 a few weeks ago and all good - very easy and works great.

Finally got round to taking my son's Sanwa Gemini II apart tonight to convert that and need a bit of advise as I am no electronics expert. Looked at the pic on page 2 of this thread and my Gemini II is a little different - actually has a different serial number and looks slightly different. Pic attached.

Has anyone actually converted a Gemini II and if so are the three wires as per the picture on page 2? I can see how I would solder to the 2 solder points in the picture but the bottom one just seems to be a small brown circular spot which is not attached to any other part of the board.

Does anyone have any pictures of their conversions.

Thanks

Rob
Hi Rob,

i converted a Gemini 2 and a mate has too, they were the same as in both pics...

there is no specific point for the (-) negative earth lead, just scratch the green coating off enough to make a solder point to the board (or use soldering iron to burn it off!), i did i roughly in area shown on pic on page 2 of this thread as it keeps the wires together and neat.
Old 19-09-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frecklychimp View Post
Hi Rob,

i converted a Gemini 2 and a mate has too, they were the same as in both pics...

there is no specific point for the (-) negative earth lead, just scratch the green coating off enough to make a solder point to the board (or use soldering iron to burn it off!), i did i roughly in area shown on pic on page 2 of this thread as it keeps the wires together and neat.

Thanks for that, that will be tonight's job.

Cheers

Rob
Old 24-09-2012
Mad Member

Ordered my bits from T9 Hobbies - very helpful chap who took my order and parts arrived next day

Took me about 20 minutes to install the hack module in my KO Type R - would have been less but the missus was on the phone to me - such an easy install it's untrue. Didn't bother with the SIL pins as 1) I couldn't see where they went, and 2) it's so easy and obvious where to solder the hack module wires it's not worth worrying about!

Didn't need to Dremel the aerial hold as I had a stepped bodyshell reamer that just happens to be the right size. Only change I made was to hot glue the daughter board in place as I wasn't happy with the double sided tape I used initially.

The binding process seems a little vague - took a few goes with each of my 3 cars to get everything bound (probably me doing something wrong) but once bound they seem to be holding true.

Can't wait till Wednesday night now to try it out at FORCC!!
Old 24-09-2012

Daft question but will any 2.4ghz reciver work with this ???
Old 24-09-2012

Send a message via Skype™ to Cardnim

Quote:
Originally Posted by franki View Post
Daft question but will any 2.4ghz reciver work with this ???
Franki, do you remember me?

Sorry no, only FrSky receivers in their "V8" range will work with this hack module.
Old 24-09-2012

Lol that's not been done for a long time !!!

Is this the puppy http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Frsky-V8HT...20990147992%26
Old 24-09-2012

Send a message via Skype™ to Cardnim

Quote:
Originally Posted by franki View Post
Lol that's not been done for a long time !!!

Is this the puppy http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Frsky-V8HT...20990147992%26

lol. yeah, how old am i!!

You're spot on mate, thats the one.
If you want to buy direct from a good online store, here it is (though I suspect that this might be the same place as your eBay!?)
http://www.giantshark.co.uk/frsky-24...-p-405206.html
Old 27-09-2012

Will the Futaba FrSky module fit a Sanwa Super Exzes?
Old 06-10-2012
Mad Member

I did this conversion the other night so easy to do the step by step instructions in this thread are top notch cheers. The only thing I did different is blue tack the daughter board in blue tack is the future lol.
Old 07-10-2012
Mad Member

Just used this today and I must say it is amaz balls one of the best rc purchases I have ever done big thumbs up from me.
Old 12-10-2012

Talking Gemini II hack pics

I've just done the hack to my Gemini II and it's working great!
The guide and the pcb picture on page 2 are spot on.

Bought the V8 module and two receivers from http://www.giantshark.co.uk/

I took some snaps too while I was doing it to show how it looks installed. Here's the link to them...

http://photobucket.com/Sanwa_Gemini_II_FrSKY_hack_mod

For the daughter board, I wedged in a chunk of foam rubber that holds it in place (black and yellow thingy in the pic) rather than using silicone or glue. No mess and the button action is solid, no play in it at all.

Got a great tip off Mr. Chimp to dremel down the lower brass nut for the aerial, instead of opening up the existing aerial hole in the case. Fits snugly in there now and if I wanted i could return to stock (except for a couple of 3 and 3.5mm holes in the back)

Thanks to all who have contributed to this guide, top work
Old 21-10-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I've just picked up a KO Esprit 3 Universe today with 40meg module. Has anyone done the frsky conversion and kept it just within the old module case? I've not started to look at how to convert mine yet, but I've been wondering if its possible?
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 21-10-2012

i was thinking of converting my jr 756x was wondering if you could convert the module
Roche
Stoke RCMCC
Monitex
FunDecal

Old 25-10-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Completed my newly acquired Esprit 3 Universe conversion tonight with a new module I got from t9hobbysport.com. I removed the 40meg module, and internal module daughter-board, as per danmurphy's conversion, and positioned my frsky module in the void, servo-taped to the back case. I soldered the three-pin connector to a shortened the module lead.
I decided not to drill anything and mount the bind module behind the dataconnector plug, as the dataconnetor is removed with the module daughter-board. I don't need this anyway, so locating the bind module in here is a really good option, held in place with hot glue. I shortened the bind module lead as well as not to have any slack.
I mounted the antenna in the regular antenna hole. Just had to trim away some of the inside plastic lip to get a straight fit.

The tranny can very easily be restored to it's original condition, removing the frsky module, and replacing the internal module daughter-board. Works perfectly and i'm really happy with how this conversion came out. It's super tidy, you wouldn't know its been done, other than the fact there is no external module on show.

Lipo conversion next!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 25-10-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig W View Post
i was thinking of converting my jr 756x was wondering if you could convert the module
I think it would be possible to convert an old module, removing the innards and replacing it with an frsky. You could drill the module case for bind button/light and to have the antenna socket to allow for a removable antenna. It would be super neat and tidy.

If I manage to get a case from a broken module, then I'd happily have a go.
Old 02-11-2012
Mad Member

Thinking of converting both my daughter's KO radios to 2.4 (as I've done my KO Type R) but just wanted to check on a couple of things.

1 - My youngest has the older type of Esprit II handset with the battery meter at the top. Is the hack still compatable with the older KO handset?

2 - My eldest has the KO EX-1 steerwheel set. Again is this a suitable candidate for the hack? And if so - can anyone show me where to solder the 3 wires for the hack module to please?

Cheers
Dave.
Old 02-11-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog View Post
Thinking of converting both my daughter's KO radios to 2.4 (as I've done my KO Type R) but just wanted to check on a couple of things.

1 - My youngest has the older type of Esprit II handset with the battery meter at the top. Is the hack still compatable with the older KO handset?

2 - My eldest has the KO EX-1 steerwheel set. Again is this a suitable candidate for the hack? And if so - can anyone show me where to solder the 3 wires for the hack module to please?

Cheers
Dave.
Hi Dave,

1. I've not personally done the Esprit with the battery meter (green one), but have seen one converted, so i'm assuming its the same as the Esprit II?

2. Does the KO EX-1 take the same modules as Esprit 2/3? chances are there is a daughter board, that offers a connector to the main board. My esprit 3 was labelled up on the circuit board, so it was easy to identify the Vcc(+), sig and Gnd. Please post a photo of the insides.
Old 02-11-2012
Mad Member

I'll have a look inside the older Esprit later. Fingers crossed it's the same.

I only asked as originally I was using an older KO Esprit, then bought a Type R only to find it wasn't compatible with the KR297 receivers I'd been using as a 40Mhz unit, and had to switch to a more recent type of receiver. So there's obviously something different inside - but whether it affects the FrSky hack I don't know.

I'll try and get some pics up of the insides of the EX-1 later on.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-11-2012

Hey guys, just purchased the module and a v8r7-ii reciever for my ko propo esprit 2,
just abit curious as on the receiver there are 2 aerials that clip on and off, do i need to use both aerials or can i just get away with using the one?

thanks in advance

Arran
Old 03-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran_Turner View Post
Hey guys, just purchased the module and a v8r7-ii reciever for my ko propo esprit 2,
just abit curious as on the receiver there are 2 aerials that clip on and off, do i need to use both aerials or can i just get away with using the one?

thanks in advance

Arran
As far as I know one is your aerial and one is for telemetry, I'm not sure which is which but shouldn't do any harm to leave it in place. Its illegal to use at a BRCA event I think but might be fun to have a play with at a later date

-