Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 17-06-2015

Default New to it all

Hello There

As the title suggests i am new to rc car racing. i have owned rc cars in the past but never raced them. i just bought a 1/10th kyosho rb6 buggy for racing. i was wondering if anyone can give me help about what to buy for it.

i know that you have to get a controller , receiver, speed control, motor, lipo battery and charger. But what ones. what speed controller and motors work together. or do they all work with each other. and which are the best for a beginner?

Cheers

Tom
Old 17-06-2015

Hi Tom and welcome

A big topic but here are a few starters, others will kick in I am sure.

Controller - or Transmitter as it is more commonly known

Get a 2.4Ghz frequency (most are) and get a receiver of the same make to be sure. Pick from Futaba, Sanwa KO Propo or Spectrum according to your pocket. They will all work well and until you get better you will not notice the difference. Most common are steerwheel transmitters but in the UK a lot of old school racers prefer a stick radio, if you have a preference go with that, otherwise get a steerwheel as the choice is bigger.

Speed control - often called an ESC or Electronic Speed Control will work with any motor so make is not important from that perspective but most will keep to the same make . Get brushless not a brushed motors and I recommend sensored rather than sensorless as the sensored motor/ESC are smoother and offer better control for racing. Good makes are Orion, Speed Passion, Vampire, Reedy, Hobbywing, Viper, Hacker etc etc.

Lipo battery - You will need one that fits the car, regular formats are stick, shortie or saddle packs and I think the RB6 copes with all types. maybe an RB6 driver could comment what is best. For 1/10th offroad racing we use 2S batteries and look for capacity over 4000mah and a C rating of over 50c. Similar makes to the ESC and Motors will all work.

Charger - There are hundreds out there, I used a Core UAC50 to start with, cheap and reliable I recommend it but there are many others that would do the job as well.

All these items can be got as cheap china made versions from Hobbyking and you can save a lot of money and the kit can work very well but most racers use branded stuff.

If you intend to race at a BRCA official event you will need to get batteries and Motors from the BRCA approved list
Old 18-06-2015

Some good starter information above.

Servo - you want to look for a fairly high torque servo about 10kg or above in torque. There are also two types with a low profile one to save space over a standard size which can be useful depending how big your other electronics.

Motor - the higher wind or number of turns the less power they have. I would advise around a 10 or higher for a beginner. Some speed controllers also allow you to boost the speed with functions on the software.

Cheers
Chris
Old 18-06-2015

I'd recommend the skyrc Toro 120amp. Get the Bluetooth dongle and you can programme on a smartphone. And a skyrc motor 7.5 or 8.5. If it's too quick then simply reduce the spa on throttle. Saves buying several motors as you progress.
And the hobbyking nanotech ultimate batteries are really good, saddles or shorty in your car I Think.