Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Faversham Off Road Car Club

Old 13-10-2011

Default Let's sort out the driving standards (Ideas)

Had an idea!! There are 7 marshals on track, 2 standing next to each other right. Well why not have a random driver picked at the start of the meeting (say number 3) there job that night is to stand on the stage and check for driving standards,lapped cars, missed cars that have cashed ect.

Also I think there's a lot of confusion over what we are doing are we racing or Qualifiying?
If we are racing I think a grid starts like finals night would be good (after all P1 did out qualify P2 from the previous week why should P2 be on the front row)
If we are Qualifying then as is is ok but more effort is needed to let faster cars through even if there on the same lap.
Old 13-10-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I agree in some of the heats things looked a little heated!

Maybe a swear box would be a good idea?! Lol we could earn quote alot of money out of this I reckon!

Anyway, can the lap counting system call the results out and call for when a car is about to be lapped? I know this worked well at Maritime when I raced touring cars.
All it would need is a speaker on the stage and numbers on the cars.

Or a referee on the stage? But some heats don't have enough Marshall so could be tricky?

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 13-10-2011

Send a message via MSN to gddevey1012 Send a message via Skype™ to gddevey1012

A Ref is a great idea however there are 2 issues with this i see.

Experiance

A ref must be an experianced racer and able to differentiate between a deliberate colision and a accidental one and only a large amount of experiance can do this + Also i good understanding of BBK timing and how it reads is also needed as otherwise you could call out someone to be lapped when there actually not.

The timing system would also need to be on the stage as the ref needs to be able to see the timing screens to do an effective job.

Maratime uses a different timing system as far as i am aware the BBK software does not allow automated calling of lapping cars.

Having refereed a national A final personally one thing i would say is its easier to say it than actually do it

Gareth

Proud Member of the Xtreme-Rc Race team

Old 13-10-2011

To clear things up we are racing, but our final position (best of 2 rounds) qualifies us for our heat the following week.

Although it is a similar concept to heats and finals, rolling on over from week to week, it is not the same. Track obviously changes and so does the people who turn up from week to week.

As for driving standards, the lower heats are populated by individuals with lower skill levels, and the speed of the 13.5t boosted motors makes it difficult for lower skilled drivers to get round the track cleanly. period.

There are however individuals with a high degree of skill, who normally populate the A, who have no excuse in allowing their car to hit another drivers car.... Sadly they do not care about lower skilled club drivers, and will gladly punt the the hell out of the less skilled under the banner of 'lapping' if they have a bad week and are knocked down a heat or two.

I wonder what message this is sending out..... but not a positive one I’m guessing.

There is 'winning' at any cost and there is having a 'good race' with somebody. Sadly too many people are putting too much into the former and not enough into the latter.

My opinion is that as a club we should have respect for each other, and not get pissed off and harpoon somebody else. The evening should revolve around taking part and having a good time, and enjoyment, after all there is only ever one winner.... And normally that’s the same person. I do understand this is not everybody’s cup of tea.... oh well

Weekend racing with heats and finals and a big commitment in time is where there may be the need for referees

I guess this is where i stand anyhow.

Cheers

Ollie
Old 13-10-2011

Totally agree with the experience statement but this is only club racing so for the lower heats having a less experience ref he or she would naturally miss things but then wouldn't it be a good learning curve and to be honest we all miss things.
Think the racer ref giving out stop/go ect would be a bit unfair.
I remember years ago 10sec penaultys being used havn't seen or heard of one being issued yet since I've been back (I may be wrong?)

Is the lack of respect for other racers a Buggy thing? Find it strange that's all!
Old 13-10-2011

Ps just like to add, I saw some superb close racing last night, stuy and edd round 1. Me and Scott had a great battle.
Fair play to James keeping Stuy behind him for so long in rd3 (I no it didn't end well) but credit where credits due
Old 13-10-2011

If you were to line everones car up on the stage, there is not one person who could not name the owner of every single car.

And its bull that you don't know where you are in the race.

Ok maybee for the fist couple of laps, but you know when your being lapped for the umptenth time.

And we all know the fast drivers ocasionally end up in a lower heat, the other 6 drivers know full well they will be 2 / 3 laps down but still try and race wheel to wheel taking both cars out.

SIMPLY KNOW YOU LIMIT!!!
let em through and try to follow.
Old 13-10-2011

While you are entitled to your opinion James, personally I only know maybe 10% of the cars by sight.

Also it is not that easy for me to know when I’m being lapped, I'm concentrating on my own race. I may have an idea, but sometimes we can all get this wrong, especially when another driver has no respect for the ropes, and thinks they should not pay the price of their mistakes.

Granted I will know if a car passes me more than once...

More importantly, I do know when a car is chasing me down. It is easy to determine that another driver is faster. I just tend to pull over and let them through, regardless of whether they are lapping.....

Faster drivers should have far more respect in lower heats, after all they are the guests in that heat when they have not performed to their full potential the previous week...... Sometimes they need to be more careful when taking their medicine.....
Old 13-10-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Yes shame the lap scoring system cant do the back marker thing?

Getting someone to referee the rounds will be pain for someone to do as all of us want to race and wrench on our cars inbetween heats.

I agree about the lower heats having some smashing and bashing as they are learning etc but from heat 4 upwards things should be more sensible.

If a faster car is coming through, let them go and get a tow from them, youll both get a faster time in the long run than tapping and causing a crash.

People should also be more aware when re joining the track after a crash as this can often cause another one where waiting a second or two to see if the track is clear would keep things cleaner.

Maybe a chat from one of the committe members at the start of the next meeting to clean it up and they will be watching to make sure things are fair and clean, if a deliberate hit is seen + 10 sec on your FTD, im sure that could help..........

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 13-10-2011

i have been coming to the forcc racing now for nearly twenty years, in that time i have seen faces come and go but the main changes i have seen have been in the last couple of years.
we used to have brushed motors and batterys that could only just last five minutes, now what have we got, unlimited power and speed that could out do most brushed motors, with a 10-12 second lap that takes some control and when there are seven other cars in the race?
what do we want?
refs?
i have been to races at international level with ed and thrust me we do not want that because once we begin with stop and goes etc it is very offical and still there are people upset, but if we do want that, i would put myself forward to ref some of the races and see what comes forward.
the club still has alot going for it and as racers we know when things go wrong but please think that there are alot of kids there, would you like somebody swearing at your own kids?
you all know when somebody is faster than you, must times you are racing the clock(the best way to go faster is let the fast guy through and then follow his lines)
these are just my views and i will do all i can to help the club but as all the top racers say enjoy your racing its only toy cars!!!
les kerry
Old 13-10-2011

Competition is competition!
we all want to win
we all try 100 % at what ever level.

this will always bring out the worst in all trying to hard, tempers, pushing the rules.

if you want all fun remove the computer and bash!
talking of computer maybe put it back on the stage.

As Les has stated he will ref i will add my name to that list any one else? just remember as Alan stated if you start something it needs to be carried on for everyone every week, every race.
Old 13-10-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant View Post
To clear things up we are racing, but our final position (best of 2 rounds) qualifies us for our heat the following week.

Although it is a similar concept to heats and finals, rolling on over from week to week, it is not the same. Track obviously changes and so does the people who turn up from week to week.

As for driving standards, the lower heats are populated by individuals with lower skill levels, and the speed of the 13.5t boosted motors makes it difficult for lower skilled drivers to get round the track cleanly. period.

There are however individuals with a high degree of skill, who normally populate the A, who have no excuse in allowing their car to hit another drivers car.... Sadly they do not care about lower skilled club drivers, and will gladly punt the the hell out of the less skilled under the banner of 'lapping' if they have a bad week and are knocked down a heat or two.

I wonder what message this is sending out..... but not a positive one I’m guessing.

There is 'winning' at any cost and there is having a 'good race' with somebody. Sadly too many people are putting too much into the former and not enough into the latter.

My opinion is that as a club we should have respect for each other, and not get pissed off and harpoon somebody else. The evening should revolve around taking part and having a good time, and enjoyment, after all there is only ever one winner.... And normally that’s the same person. I do understand this is not everybody’s cup of tea.... oh well

Weekend racing with heats and finals and a big commitment in time is where there may be the need for referees

I guess this is where i stand anyhow.

Cheers

Ollie
hi ollie yes i agree with we are racing and we are qualifying for your position for the week after by why should your qulified grid slot be pinalised with the current format. yes every driver gets a front row start but why if you havent qulified for it you dont deserve to be there, having a grid start like finals week will tidy up first lap caos. like les also said we are now doing 10sec laps a crash will rouen the race and if that crash is due to first lap moves because the tq car is on the back row drivers will get upset which is not good but unfortuantly this will always happen with the current line start.
Old 13-10-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'm happy to help keep a watchfull eye on a few races.

I agree the level of competition is moving on with alot of good drivers at the club ( look how we all did at Off road wars ) so maybe we need a few tweaks to make the evening more enjoyable for all levels.

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 13-10-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav4wd View Post
Competition is competition!
we all want to win
we all try 100 % at what ever level.

this will always bring out the worst in all trying to hard, tempers, pushing the rules.

if you want all fun remove the computer and bash!
talking of computer maybe put it back on the stage.

As Les has stated he will ref i will add my name to that list any one else? just remember as Alan stated if you start something it needs to be carried on for everyone every week, every race.

spot on neil totaly agree no computer problem solved.

we race to win and do the best of our ability and a driver who says otherwise is lying.

good call neil
Old 13-10-2011
Mad Member

The club is ace on all levels eg halls great/ tracks are good / website is great/etc etc.
We just need a clear refresher on the rules of racing.
No calling etc cause this causes extra work for already busy people
Can we have a rules sign put up each week next to the heat listing maybe?
all rules must be in favour of the faster car... Cause that's racing.... And that's what we are supposed to be doing for all those that forgot that!

Saying something like club rules for those partisipating in the race

When being lapped ( not position ) you move over for the car lapping , safely off the racing line for them to pass.

When marshalling do not run out infront of ANY cars ( for your own safety and the sake of other racers ) nor do you replace cars on a different part of the track. Where they get stranded is where they go back
No fixing cars trackside whilst marshalling.... Pass it to someone else

When tangling with another car you wait for them to recover ( how everlong it takes)

Silence on the rostrum..... Eliminating any confusion.... And respecting your fellow racers race!
Etc etc that's the start of the idea
Old 13-10-2011

I respectfully disagree with you Neil on this one.

I believe there is room for individuals to turn up, race, do the best they can, enjoy themselves, have a damn good race with somebody and go home with a grin on their face.... Competitive fun...

I understand that some individuals take the results more seriously than others, as you yourself should know...... And i don't believe for one second you are suggesting that everybody who does not take it as seriously as yourself should sling their hook, but thats how it comes across to me anyway.
Old 13-10-2011
Mad Member

I just want faversham to stay the same cause it's great but just would like a fair crack of the whip
I personally don't like the ref idea
I spoke with Alan on the phone just now putting the idea of printing and laminating the racing etiquette rules of the club. Then pinning them up with the heats each week.
You see my little disagreement with Jon came about cause he thinks lapping has a different rule than I do.
So if we set them in stone and make them clear and accessible we are all then singing from the same hymn sheet Which has got to be better for everyone!
The rules seem a little blurred at the moment
If the rules are there plain as day then I would like to think people would then stick to them cause then if not it would be clear for the world to see they are a cheat /idiot/ don't want you in my race, so no need for refs and all that arguing that would come with that
What do you think?
Old 13-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
hi ollie yes i agree with we are racing and we are qualifying for your position for the week after by why should your qulified grid slot be pinalised with the current format. yes every driver gets a front row start but why if you havent qulified for it you dont deserve to be there, having a grid start like finals week will tidy up first lap caos. like les also said we are now doing 10sec laps a crash will rouen the race and if that crash is due to first lap moves because the tq car is on the back row drivers will get upset which is not good but unfortuantly this will always happen with the current line start.
Hi Stu,

At the moment we race on the night to get a ranking to qualify us for a particular heat the following week. That is where we draw the line. The track changes and the drivers change the following week. The track the following week may not suit your style quite so much as a couple of others in your heat... so there is differences... but that’s not really the problem....

If a driver qualifies in first position in any heat, he will get the advantage all night. If he wins, is it because of his starting position or is it on his driving standard on the night? It makes more sense to me to do as we currently do, which gives everybody a shot up front...

Indeed it also ads a little challenge to the top qualifier in a heat, because one of the heats he has to move through the pack, mixes things up a bit.... I would have thought it would have made sense to you, because the alternative would be for Ed to walk it every single time because he would have had the advantage... boring.... i guess its a club thing, as opposed to a racer thing....

Not that i care overly at the moment, since i have no job and have got other things on my mind... But one possibility could be to have a staggered start but alternate the order, for instance the first race could be 123456789 then 456789123 and then 789123456... maybe just for the top heat, who dont seem to be able to be good sportsmen into the first corner.... would not need more than our current three lines either... 1 in front, 2 on the line and three behind... you get the picture...
Old 13-10-2011

Hi Scott,

I like your idea, the only problem is that people can and do loose track of their position, you only need the odd crash or other upset in the race...

So you have the individual who believes he is lapping, calling out... and the person being lapped, who may not even know the individual or the car of that person calling out...

Most of the time people get the idea, but it is not infallible... which i think is what you need for a rule...

At the end of the day it is based on good will, if you ask an individual to move over and they don't, for whatever reason, i would suggest that it would be better to hang back and wait for an opportunity. I do know that this can get a little frustrating, because i do it, if i cause an accident it is because i have made a mistake.... 9 times out of 10 they will move over anyway.

One way to really upset anybody is to come up to them and at the first available chance, drive over them... or tbone them... because they have not moved over the millisecond they get near you. (not having a dig at you here scott, but there are drivers in the club that have done it to me and that i would lay money down that they would do it to me again in an instant... being that i am a 'club' driver...) if people do this, they should expect that the next time the come round to lap (and i'm not saying it is correct here either) for it to be a little harder ....... its just human nature... thats why respect is the best policy all round...
Old 13-10-2011

Not my intention to come across that way Ollie all im trying to say is that what ever you are doing sport,video games etc as soon as competition takes affect people change.
Eveyone is there for one reason to RACE there are loads of fields, loads of car parks but we choose to race at Forcc as a organised club,with rules with a set format, and at the moment maybe the rules have either got to be re- enphasised or change to match the new level of competition and speed within the club/hall.
All these comments from everyone proves to me that we all care and enjoy racing at Forcc but want to bring it foward and in no way is any bad bits aimed at any committe/volunteer if they are then they perhaps need to speak direct to that person.
maybe a one week meeting behind Boughton hall closed doors and not this forum would be a good idea, have a vent off over a cup of tea and a slice of cake.