Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 27-02-2015

Default New to all this rubber tyre additive stuff??

I'm new to using touring car tyre additive and just have a few questions

1) Cleaning - should I clean the tyres between heats before I put additive on & what's best. This doesn't give much time to let the additive dry? OR should just clean before I go racing and then just put it on after each race.

2) Tyre warmers - how hot how long? Do I put additive on then put the tyre warmers on?

3) Additive - we use Schmacher STX stuff which comes with a big wipepy thing which puts loads on, my LRP has a sponge which was easier. Can I just dip a bit of rag in wipe some on. Will it be enough.

3a) Also can I put additive on the night before racing and then just 'top up' before the race.

4) Wiping off. The club has a bit of carpet to wipe of excess before going on track. Can I wipe too much off or is it ok to give it full throttle for a while.

Control tyre is Sorex 28

Sorry to natter on, but and I making it too complicated??????

Any help will be much appreciated.

Ta

Brett
Old 27-02-2015

If your stuck for time re additive as your car comes off the track but 20mins is usually long enough, the additive softens the skin of the tyre best to wipe off excess before you go to the cleaning mat then a slow spin should be enough to dry the tyres
SXT 3 is common additive now LRP is I think not on the approved list anymore, I use SXT and wipe excess off the brush on the bottle neck first, easier as the bottle empties
Do you run on carpet and Asphalt? (Tyre war drs are generally used on asphalt 60*C for 15 mins or so but track dependant)
Old 27-02-2015

Thanks for your reply Beale,

It's carpet down permanently. (primafelt I suppose). You just get so many different methods when asking people.

So, been doing a bit of messing this afternoon and gave the brush a good wipe on the bottle neck first. It was fine for all 4 tyres without too many drips. So I was just being cack handed.

So, apply 20mins before, then tyre warmers on for 15mins, wipe off with knicked the face cloth from bathroom, then slow spin on cleaning mat to finish off.

But I might not need the tyre warmers as the weather gets warmer?

Sorted, thanks.

It's a track day tomorrow so loads of testing time hopefully.

Here's the track, click Here

Last edited by bretts; 27-02-2015 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Link added
Old 27-02-2015
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

Clean tyres with brake cleaner, put additive on for around 20 mins, wipe / dry off just before going out to race. Race. Repeat.

As long as you have decent carpet, and it's not super cold, you shouldn't need warmers.
Old 28-02-2015

Looks like Prima GT so you shouldn't need warmers although might help if ambient is very low. Normally a couple of laps is enough to warm the tyres, if you do use the warmers you could do with some lint free wipes
Watch this from about 7 mins
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_mUeXYZbn5s