Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 17-06-2012
Mad Member

Default Savox Servo intermittent issues!

Has anyone got any ideas on the following which has only just started happening today!

Half way through a 5 min race the servo will stop working but the rest of the car is still running as in the throttle and brakes etc.

When the cars turned off and turned back on it straits working again....

Old 17-06-2012

I've got a savox that does similar. Doesn't cut out mid race but I have to switch the car off and on then eventually it kicks in and works .
Old 17-06-2012

Try this

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101456

Not exactly your problem but surely worth a try,

I have heard loads of people having problems with savox servos, they must draw short bursts of a lot of power what in turn upsets every thing else. In your case it may be when the volts get down a little ?
Old 18-06-2012

common issue with Savox with most radio systems, spektrum being the worst and airtronics not affected. the solution is an external capacitor or bec.
Old 18-06-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyp View Post
Try this

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101456

Not exactly your problem but surely worth a try,

I have heard loads of people having problems with savox servos, they must draw short bursts of a lot of power what in turn upsets every thing else. In your case it may be when the volts get down a little ?
Thanks andy
Yesterday I as struggling to charge the batteries fully so what do you think?
I was also having issues with the car stuttering under any power or full power to the point where it was undriveable!
Do you think it's the spektrum?
Gaz
Old 18-06-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Do you have a break/short in any of your receiver/servo/esc wires? it's worth checking them through for continuity.

I run spektrum, savox and tekin, which is meant to be a problematic combination, but it all works fine for me. I've had no problems.

A 10V 4700uF 105DegC electrolytic capacitor connected to your receiver power input will help. Spektrum sell them pre-soldered to a receiver plug (£6), or you can make your own up for about £1.
Old 18-06-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
Do you have a break/short in any of your receiver/servo/esc wires? it's worth checking them through for continuity.

I run spektrum, savox and tekin, which is meant to be a problematic combination, but it all works fine for me. I've had no problems.

A 10V 4700uF 105DegC electrolytic capacitor connected to your receiver power input will help. Spektrum sell them pre-soldered to a receiver plug (£6), or you can make your own up for about £1.
Thanks
Would this solve the servo issues only?
Just seems strange I'm only having these issues now when I've been running all this equipment for ages!
Have you got a link to the £6 capacitor please
Thanks
Old 18-06-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazhillAE View Post
Thanks
Would this solve the servo issues only?
Just seems strange I'm only having these issues now when I've been running all this equipment for ages!
Have you got a link to the £6 capacitor please
Thanks
Spectrums capacitor

The capacitor ensures a smooth and constant power delivery to the radio gear from the main power source (BEC in ESC). Savox servos are reputed to have a high demand for current, which you could be seeing? The spektrum capacitor in combination with the spectrum receiver is meant to solve the issue. I've not seen it personally with my gear, but I have fitted one to my GT12 car just in case, as it's running 4cell/4.8v, with spektrum receiver, and savox servo. My buggy is fine with savox/spektrum and tekin RS pro.

You mentioned you were having trouble charging batteries?
Could you have been hitting the lipo cutoff, or was the power to the motor fine?

I'd still check out your servo wires carefully for breaks.

Are you still getting the problem now on the bench?
Could it have been some sporadic interference?
I've had interference problems and glitching standing next to people with cheap Code radios, which goes away if you move away from them, or switch your tranny off and back on again to re-pair your radio.
Old 19-06-2012

Quote:
Neal, I guess it's no more difficult to make your own than soldering the positive and negative leads on the right way and plugging it in?

Saw the price difference to make my own on eBay where a capacitor is about 50p and I have a 'bits box' full of dead servos so I'll pinch a lead / plug from one of them.
Old 19-06-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by andylinney View Post
Neal, I guess it's no more difficult to make your own than soldering the positive and negative leads on the right way and plugging it in?

Saw the price difference to make my own on eBay where a capacitor is about 50p and I have a 'bits box' full of dead servos so I'll pinch a lead / plug from one of them.
Yes, it's simple. I made my own. I ebayed two capacitors for £1, and used a replacement servo lead, with the signal wire removed. Connect the black lead to the negative terminal on cap, red to positive, insulate with some heatshrink.
Old 19-06-2012

Thanks, I know it's a seemingly daft question but, I'd feel even more stupid with a blown rx/esc...
Old 19-06-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Spectrums capacitor

The capacitor ensures a smooth and constant power delivery to the radio gear from the main power source (BEC in ESC). Savox servos are reputed to have a high demand for current, which you could be seeing? The spektrum capacitor in combination with the spectrum receiver is meant to solve the issue. I've not seen it personally with my gear, but I have fitted one to my GT12 car just in case, as it's running 4cell/4.8v, with spektrum receiver, and savox servo. My buggy is fine with savox/spektrum and tekin RS pro.

You mentioned you were having trouble charging batteries?
Could you have been hitting the lipo cutoff, or was the power to the motor fine?

I'd still check out your servo wires carefully for breaks.

Are you still getting the problem now on the bench?
Could it have been some sporadic interference?
I've had interference problems and glitching standing next to people with cheap Code radios, which goes away if you move away from them, or switch your tranny off and back on again to re-pair your radio.
Brand new servo done one meeting it's fine!
Regarding the stuttering it was fine in first two rounds And then started doing it in rounds 3/4 and the final when I pulled it off etc as it was undriveable

It's not doing it in the house or on the bench
And regarding charging batteries it was the amount of time I had to charge them that was the problem! They never went out fully charged!

Gaz
Old 19-06-2012
Mad Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Steven Forster
Wink

Quote:

Heres a cheaper version...........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-4ghz-vol...item3376840db0

Ex Club Chairman

Visit our Face Book Page for address and to book in

https://www.facebook.com/groups/289589121226171/

http://www.neamotorsport.co.uk/
Old 19-06-2012

ive had the same prob with a savox, it was bnib from the shop did 3 mins and stopped , turn off and on worked fine again nxt heat 1min off on fine 5mis
nxt heat nothing
opened up the case and the motor wire was not solderd verywell
re solderd it and bingo perfect
could be worth a try
cheers si
Old 24-06-2012
Mad Member

Default savox/capacitor

i use a simple capacitor/power cap, got it from apex models, about £6.95 i think. plug it in to a spare socket in the X and solves all the glitching/power drain issues i was having as mentioned the savox do draw some current.....
problem solved.......
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 13-03-2013

I'm having bother with my savox servo or maybe something else?

Running Spectrum module and receiver, LRP SXX ver 2, savox 1251. the sxx and savox are new.

The first savox stopped working and it was replaced, the second had all but stopped working, very slowly and jerky. Any thoughts anyone??
Keith
Old 13-03-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr emily View Post
I'm having bother with my savox servo or maybe something else?

Running Spectrum module and receiver, LRP SXX ver 2, savox 1251. the sxx and savox are new.

The first savox stopped working and it was replaced, the second had all but stopped working, very slowly and jerky. Any thoughts anyone??
Keith
Might be worth trying the cap that the guys have suggested here Keith.
Or if you want can plug it in to my received and see if it still happens, try to elimate things to see where the fault could be