Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 26-03-2008
Administrator

Default Leccy 8th buggys

I guess it belongs in the 'smelly thigns' section - since it's a smelly thing thats gone clean.... but who's thinking of trying some coverted 8th electric buggy if it's allowed at certain events in the future?

there was talk of a class at the next neo race, and who know - if it catches on a little then other big races might allow it.. not sure it would work against nitro buggys, I guess it would need its own specific class.

I just wonder how it would develop if it actually caught on properly, because I imagine a scaled up 10th buggy (obviously made a bit stronger) would kick any 8th scale buggy to death on a race track. but that's just a guess
Old 26-03-2008
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

I've just ordered a bunch of gear to put a leccy 8th together, most of the stuff's from the USA, will keep u posted when it arrives and got it going
Old 26-03-2008
Administrator

I sense a step by step write up of your conversion James - haha, go on you know it would be interesting

What will you use for power?
Old 26-03-2008
Mini-Jimmy

Send a message via MSN to Mrs oOple

Piespeed of course!

Old 26-03-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

I am tempted and it would make it more accesible to people, as tracks won't be constrained with noise regulations and limitations on use cause of it.
Old 26-03-2008
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

neu 1512 2.5 brushless ....

tuned by piespeed

you'll love this jim, the conversion is called the 'EJAMMIN'

It'lbe the Dogs at Blyth . . I wanna be the first to hold a UK 8th brushless meeting .. !
Old 26-03-2008
Super Moderator

I'm onto it too Jimmy, anyone want a nicely run in OS V-spec?

G
Old 26-03-2008
Mad Member

I'm looking at getting an RC8 with Neu or Novak motor setup. Been reading into it for a while. People are running monster batteries (some guys run 2 x 11.1v 8000mah packs in parallel which gives massive run times and incredible speed) and I've seen one compete at club level very successfully against the nitro's. It's expensive though!
Old 26-03-2008
Mad Member

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=n-w8FALSyC8

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mukJ0c...eature=related
Old 26-03-2008

There are two things missing from those clips, the sound and the smell, undoubtedly quick but how sterile and boring is that?
I appreciate what DCM is saying about opening it up for those clubs with noise restrictions, but I'm not too sure on any other enviromental benefits. Manufacturing and disposing of any battery presumably has consequences that are probably equal to running nitro.
Old 26-03-2008
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

its fast easy clean and ace
cant wait guess are old hong nor will be converted as soon as the X2 is out
Old 26-03-2008
Administrator

I find driving a car ON MY OWN quiet and boring also - that's what this guy was doing.

But like I said to phil at neo buggy when he said the exact same thing as you - nitro is far quieter and less sociable. why? well you can't hear anything but an engine. At an electric race you'd get cheers, heckles and comedy. That's what I think of when I think of electric off road. The HUGE nitro races I've been to seem a heck of a lot less sociable and near-silent (when you take away the rather obnoxious engine noises).
The big electric races I've been to, have sometimes been mindblowingly alive with sound - one that sticks out is Neil Cragg racing at the Euros in 2006 in Austria, with a large UK team doing verbal battle with a large austrian crowd, it was ace

probably totally wrong there, but that's my experience.

Last edited by jimmy; 26-03-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 26-03-2008

A lot of tracks have usage restrictions due to the noise, the two local tracks for me, one track can't even start an engine before 10am, the other has had to errect a big fence to help reduce the noise.

My local buggy club (if it was big enough) could run the 8th scale elec conversions, but not Nitro, due to the noise. It is more an enviromental as in noise that stops clubs rather than the battery disposal, although LiPo is more friendly in that respect.
Old 26-03-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
I find driving a car ON MY OWN quiet and boring also - that's what this guy was doing.

But like I said to phil at neo buggy when he said the exact same thing as you - nitro is far quieter and less sociable. why? well you can't hear anything but an engine. At an electric race you'd get cheers, heckles and comedy. That's what I think of when I think of electric off road. The HUGE nitro races I've been to seem a heck of a lot less sociable and near-silent (when you take away the rather obnoxious engine noises).
The big electric races I've been to, have sometimes been mindblowingly alive with sound - one that sticks out is Neil Cragg racing at the Euros in 2006 in Austria, with a large UK team doing verbal battle with a large austrian crowd, it was ace

probably totally wrong there, but that's my experience.
I'm the first to confess that my rc racing is very limited travelwise and and I haven't experienced the large scale meetings that most on here have.

Sadly though I'm a true dinosaur, a child of the 70's, and I just love the sound and some of the smells of different engines. First experience in the late 60's was travelling in the back of my friends Dad's Chevrolet Camaro RS convertible listening to a small block Chevy on open pipes. Once I got mobile it was screaming Japanese two strokes followed by big bore four strokes.

We're still sociable at our club, there's friendly banter on the rostrum and a barbeque at every meet once the racings finished. Sadly I can't vouch for spectator participation as our racings not good enough to draw a crowd!

I shall never say never though and if electric is the future of 1/8th I'll probably get drawn in. The up side would hopefully be the run times and less maintenance on a motor as opposed to an engine.

I'm not sure they'd end up allowing 2 x 11.1 v 8000 mah lipo's for racing the same way as your not allowed anything bigger than a .21 in a buggy.
Old 26-03-2008

Electric 8th at the Neo..... shhhhhh Jimmy that's a secret

On a serious note, it's by far not set in stone, perhaps looking a little unlikely at the moment.
Old 26-03-2008

I know there are only three truggies here, and it still sounds sterile, but one of either one of these is jumping really well or the the distance on that triple isn't as big as it looks.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Ye17...eature=related
Old 26-03-2008
Mad Member

Got to be honest i started work on a 1/8 electric buggy last summer, got a base car and most of the electrics, but other projects became more pressing on my time (S2 & Atomized B44), and i sold the buggy and most of the parts.

But it has been something i have been thinking about again during the last week, and now with Novak getting on board, its seems things are moving along nicely and becoming a little more mainstream.

So S8 anyone
Old 26-03-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I think some people like 8th scale BECAUSE its nitro, the same way people like motocross because of the noise, smell sound, can you imagine electric brushless motocross bikes? now that would be weird!

I really love electric racing, but I also absolutely loved racing a nitro car at the Neo last year, the fact it was nitro was half the fun.

I do think electric 8th scale does have its place, I think it could be very cool, but I think they should still keep servo brakes, that is another fantastic thing about 8th scale buggies, the brakes are awesome, and nice mechanical mechanism that can be tuned and played with.
Old 26-03-2008
Administrator

I don't think it's going to replace anything but the idea of massive jumps and electric ease & power all built into a near bullet-proof car is quite appealing. Agreed on the brakes, not sure it's practical but the 8th brakes look cool! I was too slow with the camera, but tom did a nice nose- wheelie into one of the corners, back wheels right in the air.
Old 26-03-2008

I was just about to say, and I have pleaded with Tekin who are looking at it, to have a facility to keep the disk brakes and not the artificial brake on the esc (plus it would take a bit of strain off the ESC)

I love 8th scale, but unless you got a pit bitch, you are kinda struggling to race nitro, so brushless overcomes that.

with regard to the brakes, you just need a y-lead to split the signal, or use channel 3 mixing with channel 2, and just dial out the brakes..... disk brakes are just far better.