Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > I Made This !

Old 26-05-2011

Default Landspeed Car - College Project

Basically as part of the course I'm doing i had the opportunity to make anything i wanted over the year, I decided to stay to what i know and enjoy which is Rc Ive taken it up my local club to see what people think and they're all waiting to see it run lol

This is what I've come up with so far, the idea was to have a 4wd unit up front with as much weight over it as possible, then have a trialling wheel behind to help it go straight, kinda like a dart, a heavy weight up front then a flight at the back

The transmission is taken from a Schumacher 1/8th electric car with a shorter belt from their 10th nitro car. All the wishbones, hubs, driveshafts, shocks etc are all taken from a top scythe.

As for the power, 2 3.5kw inrunner motors theyre hugee!, 2 turnigy 12s speedo's and 2 8s a123 packs, so i can add another 14v to each motor if it isnt quick enough lol! It's generating around 10bhp.....
What ive got left to do is..
-Make a top deck to brace the whole thing and mount the cells to, theres quite a bit of flex atm.
-Solarfilm the ply fin
-Reduce the area of the front part of the chassis, if it hits a bump at 120mph and the front lifts alot of air will be hitting a wall of chassis and as you can imagine only way it'll be going is up :L
-Make a bodyshell, not sure how to tackle this yet!

Anyway here's some pics

Will
Old 26-05-2011

not bad for a project, would love to see it go

Old 26-05-2011

why not just make it as long as you can (rules for max length?) and rwd? I'm not liking the 5th wheel at the back, I think it wll be very difficult toget it set up well, but I think if you can get it going strait, using the rear wheel only for steering might make it easyer to drive. I also hope your aiming for alot more then 120mph, you can go that fast with over the counter parts
Old 26-05-2011

Max length is 1m, as for the steering setup is seems to work fine with the servos on a y lead and the steering circle seems to look about right, due to the sheer weight over the front 4 wheels, i think the front wheels will need to steer other wise it'll just push on and ill have no control over steering, but i have yet to run it so we will see what happens its certainly got the power for over 120 that were just a random number to give an idea, im hoping to achieve around 140/150, considering the record is 173 id be happy if i broke 100 on my first attempt
Old 26-05-2011

another concern is tires, those foams may desintegrat with speed, BSR makes tires specifically for this purpose but are a little pricy. Ae TC3+castle 7700kv/mamba max combo+5s lipo+ hpi pagani zonda body+BSR tires=100mph easily
Old 26-05-2011

looks good, but may be a little heavy if you look at what you have in comparison to other high speed cars, i would say you have too much power, you are after top speed not acceleration for landspeed, and from experience with a dragster i made, featherweight with moderate power is much faster than heavyweight and silly power
Old 26-05-2011

Cool thanks for the info, best bit is I get this year to have a car running by and to put in a run etc etc. Then i get next year to further develop the car/ideas to go even faster, so please all put in your input, I'm writing all this down lol!. I've raced for quite a good few years now but just pure speed is a different game
Old 26-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_penguin View Post
Cool thanks for the info, best bit is I get this year to have a car running by and to put in a run etc etc. Then i get next year to further develop the car/ideas to go even faster, so please all put in your input, I'm writing all this down lol!. I've raced for quite a good few years now but just pure speed is a different game
at the sorts of speeds you're planning, aero has to be a major consideration.

you need to be generating underbody downforce - it keeps the frontal area at a minimum so there's less drag.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_effect
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_effect_in_cars

vids of the car in action will be welcome on this thread!
Old 26-05-2011

heres a link for you, hope this is allowed!

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk

speak to ziggy on there, he will help you out no end with your project if you need any help

great project