Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Yokomo

Old 18-07-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan1875 View Post
Yes, you want low profile, slim staggers.

I believe from pictures that I have seen from Shins car before, that he runs his cut staggers on the full size 2wd wheel with them stretched across. Not 100% sure how the handling would differ due to this but id imagine it might be a little more stable and less pointy on the front end?

It's not something I have ever tried.
I ran full width rims and cut staggers last night, just for the first round, and TBH, it was quite awful, front end felt way too washy, and lost a lot of steering, could have tried removing some of the 4mm Ackerman, but it was easier to switch to the low pro slim tyres, it was something worth trying, but not great on carpet due to such a high sidewall.

Lee
Old 18-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphee View Post
I ran full width rims and cut staggers last night, just for the first round, and TBH, it was quite awful, front end felt way too washy, and lost a lot of steering, could have tried removing some of the 4mm Ackerman, but it was easier to switch to the low pro slim tyres, it was something worth trying, but not great on carpet due to such a high sidewall.

Lee
Sounds like exactly what I am after. I actually want the car to under steer. And i can work my way back from there. Has WAY too much steering as it is.
Old 18-07-2015
Mad Member

Hmm, well if thats your goal Timoxx, give them a try, made it very lazy indeed, but, as i said, that could be fine tuned out for sure!

lee
Old 18-07-2015
Mad Member

Timoxx, with those tyres, i ran Yellow kit springs front, with 45wt oil, and 4mm on the Ackerman plate, just FYI, and that gave a very lazy front end, maybe going softer, or, reducing the spacers would help you further?

Lee
Old 19-07-2015

Ok cool. Will give it a try this Friday night. I am also going to put the kit setup on it and start from scratch also. Never tried kit setup so not sure what its like.
Old 20-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphee View Post
Timoxx, with those tyres, i ran Yellow kit springs front, with 45wt oil, and 4mm on the Ackerman plate, just FYI, and that gave a very lazy front end, maybe going softer, or, reducing the spacers would help you further?

Lee
A spacer or 2 out the ackermann and I think it would definitely be better.

We had to use cut staggers this weekend at TORCH and go to 3mm as for once the car was actually lazy on the front which I definitely wasn't used too!
Hobbywing
Mark One Designs
Old 25-07-2015

Alright gave the car another go with slim staggers this time and was much better. The cut staggers even on wide rims was still TOO much. Slim staggers was best.

Ok so I am now just trying to get the car to land jumps with out bouncing and landing on its lid every time ? I have 2x1.6 machined pistons with 600 front 400 rear. Orange carpet springs up front. Green ones on back.

If you don't ALWAYS land on the down ramp and flat land a jump the car will always hop skip and jump and land on its roof. You absoultly can not miss the down ramp at all with this like it is.

I don't know if its from not enough pack so car is bottoming out. Or too much pack ? Or not enough droop ?

Am going to try some 6 hole 1.1 front and 8 hole 1.1 rear pistons with lighter oil to see if more pack helps things but really have no idea which way I should be going ???

My Bmax 4III dose it also with the 2 hole 1.6/1.7 pistons so it might be the 2 hole are no good on our carpet track. The carpet is on top of a cement floor so its rock hard underneath.
Old 25-07-2015
Mad Member

Hmm, OK mine jumps like a beast, on kit pistons, and my usual yellow front Yatabe and switching between kit and Yatabe orange rear. 19mm ride all round.
Without ballast it doesnt jump well at all, so i run rear brass hangers + 18g, lipos shorty 50g, and 20g servo front, this makes the car "just" nose in on doubles etc, some im able to land pretty flat and im running 10% drag.
We did run a strange kicker last night that seemed to flick my rear end up some, but its not the best of jumps and IIRC was a crappy jump even with my XMW.
Car does seem to launch well on geared or ball diff too.
What kind of weight are you running in the car mate?

Lee
Old 25-07-2015
Mad Member

Oh and my Bmax4 always noses in lol, have to nip the throttle to get a flat jump outta her!

Lee
Old 25-07-2015
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to danDanEFC

I just put Lee's RHR setup on my YZ2, again, for the oOple day at Southport.

I worked a dream possibly my best result ever, just sneaking in the B.

If anyone is having any issues with their YZ2 on Astro I would just go straight to this.
Old 25-07-2015

Ok weight I am running in the car is 55g brass under lipo. 20g behind motor and 20g front of servo.

It jumps fine just wont land well. It gets all out of shape and flips over on landings.
Old 26-07-2015

I don't like the weight under the servo but I am running a full size servo.

What's your ride height like? Mines fantastic in the air.
Old 26-07-2015
Mad Member

Yeah i reckon with a full size servo its gotta be maybe an extra 15g or so above a low pro?
Hmm flipping on landing, cant figure that, mine just about comes in on the front wheels, or just about flat, i run 450 front oil, 400 rear, obviously it changes jump to jump.
I will say it jumped like a pig on my first ever outing, no weight, and was 'orrible, the weight sorted that out.
Is yours landing flat, nose in, rear down Timoxx, just wondering how its slapping in, even on some huge doubles on an astro track a while back mine was pretty amazing, so it could be how yours in touching down? Are you using any drag brake, or is that something you drive with?

lee
Old 26-07-2015

Yeah I am running a full size servo also. + 20g in front of servo. 20mm ride height. Full droop in rear. No drag break. On high speed jumps flat landing is fine while the car is still moving forward at a rate of speed. Its on a short kicker jump that you land at a stop basically that is killing it.

It will land front wheels first mostly. Unless I hit the gas then it will land flat or rear first. basically I can make it land any way I like. But front wheels first or flat usually.

It jumps great. Flies through the air great. Its the landings that it gets real unsettled. And flips over.

Its worst on a steep kicker double jump that is right out of a right hand hairpin and there is a imediat left hand hairpin straight after the double. So you are just about turning left as you land basically. The car almost has to stop after the jump landing to get round the next corner. You cant have any gas on after the jump which dosent help.

I tried my 8 and 6 hole pistons today and it was a little better. One of the others at the track suggested I take some rear tow out of the car as it could be binding up the suspension on landing ( I had 3.5 rear tow in) So I set it to 2.5 rear tow and that helped a fair bit also.

In the end I had 6 hole x1.1mm front pistons with 450 oil. 8 hole x1mm rear pistons with 400 oil. Orange front springs green rear. That was the best I could come up with. But it still dosent like landing the jumps like all the other cars do at our track.

There is only one other guy with a YZ-2 here and his car also dose it. No other brand cars are doing it and they are using the same 2 hole piston shock setup as these cars do so who knows whats going on ? Just seems to be the YZ-2's with problems here

Last edited by timoxx4; 26-07-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 26-07-2015
Mad Member

Ahhh, OK, we ran a steep kicker into a hairpin Friday, the one i mentioned, that was dropping my nose terrible on a stiffer set up, i softened the rear to green springs and that did help, but it was kicking the rear up still on take off, i just dealt with it as i wasnt flipping the car, but it wasnt ideal, just jump angle specific, jumping is still a science to me, fast doubles id say my car jumps and lands about the best at my club, but throw in a sneaky nasty kicker and it doesnt like it, its almost like the rear unloads fast and kicks the arse end up!

lee
Old 26-07-2015
Mad Member

Timoxx, are you running shocks rear? I always do, but i wonder if that may play a part in the rear unload action/rate? I keep meaning to try shocks front TBH!

Bests....lee
Old 26-07-2015

I run shocks rear. I've tried shocks on the front but the car was a lot looser and much harder to drive.

Are you running saddles or shorty?
Old 26-07-2015
Mad Member

Think ill leave shocks front then lol. Shorty packs here always!

lee
Old 26-07-2015

I run a shorty as far to the rear as it will go.
Old 26-07-2015

Yeah running shorty and shocks on rear of the Bmax4III arms here.

I haven't tried the shocks on the front yet either as I was under the impression it would be looser/harder to drive that way.