Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > S-Workz

Old 23-03-2017

Default Sworkz S104 Evo Cooling

Hi,

I'm running a 6.5t motor with kit pinion and spur in my S104 but I'm finding motor and speedo are getting extremely hot after short runs. Has anyone else had an issue and if so how did you resolve / reduce it?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 23-03-2017
Mad Member

Kit pinion?

Thats odd, pinions usually on't come with the kit. You need to size them to the motor.

I'd guess you've got the wrong size pinion.

But to start with
What size pinion do you have. edit: S104 seems to come with a 19t. That's weird.
What ESC and motor is it? (Does the ESC run a fan, what settings do you have on the ESC?)
Does the driveline run freely?
How hot is it actually getting.

Last edited by mattr; 23-03-2017 at 06:49 AM.
Old 24-03-2017

Thanks for the reply Matt, i swapped out the centre diff for a slipper and its running a lot better. I used the kit centre diff oil and i think it was just too heavy weight. I'll give it a proper run out tomorrow again to see if its resolved the issue. With regard to how hot it was running, i couldn't even touch the motor! It was ridiculous, never had a motor run that hot even with really dodgy gearing.
Old 25-03-2017
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim92 View Post
Thanks for the reply Matt, i swapped out the centre diff for a slipper and its running a lot better. I used the kit centre diff oil and i think it was just too heavy weight. I'll give it a proper run out tomorrow again to see if its resolved the issue. With regard to how hot it was running, i couldn't even touch the motor! It was ridiculous, never had a motor run that hot even with really dodgy gearing.
I use a motor fan that sits on the side of mine as even though the chassis dissapates the heat my motors still rather hot and having an over sized fan makes a big difference.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 26-03-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim92 View Post
With regard to how hot it was running, i couldn't even touch the motor! It was ridiculous, never had a motor run that hot even with really dodgy gearing.
TBH, not being able to touch the motor is about 70 degrees, so top end of normal range. Really need something more accurate than that, i use an IR thermometer.

Best not resorting to a fan until you've got it at least moderately under control or when the fan jams/breaks/falls out, you'll fry everything.

i.e. use the fan to get it from 70-50 rather than thermal shut down to not thermal shut down.
Old 26-03-2017

running 19t pinion with kit spur is spot on for performance and the motor can still be touched after a run. I personally run the centre diff with 300k in it the kit 100k for me is to thin and makes the car unpredictable to drive
HB Racing D418
www.kandmacoustics.co.uk