Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 26-07-2011
Mad Member

Default Big bore pistons

what size holes are in the 5 hole pistons that come with the BB shocks? I presume that additional pistons can be bought separately and then drilled accordingly (or do they come in different hole sizes)?
Old 26-07-2011

For now you only have 5-holes pistons (1.3mm holes) and 6-holes pistons (1.25).

On 4WD, some drivers drill them, NJC runs 5x1.4 front with 40WT and 5x1.5 rear with 27.5WT. I run stock 5 holes front with 35WT and 5x1.4 rear with 30WT, didn't tried NJC setup yet.

On 2WD, some US drivers close a hole with CA glue and run with lighter oil, don't know if it is the way to go on UK track though

Rusti Design - Awesome custom stickers and cool stuff

My trader feedback
Old 26-07-2011

Hey all,

If I am not mistaken 5-hole pistons are 1.35mm

In US they run with 4 holes (1 hole glued shut for small tecnical tracks that need fast directions changes)

Team Kyosho-Proline Racing-Team Orion-LRP-Maugrafix-ZWorks.tk-Rudebits-Ghea Racing
Old 26-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by /tobys View Post
what size holes are in the 5 hole pistons that come with the BB shocks? I presume that additional pistons can be bought separately and then drilled accordingly (or do they come in different hole sizes)?
Hi Toby i think Nick Gurnell is doing Tapered big bore Pistons for Kyosho.
I think you can have pre drilled or pilot drilled so you can put any size you want.Hope this helps.

Team Schumacher
Old 26-07-2011

Send a message via MSN to Nick Send a message via Skype™ to Nick

Yeah I have done some taper piston is 3,4,5,6 holes! Going to drop some off at the Oople race this weekend for NJC to test so should know how they perform after the weekend I hope!
Old 26-07-2011

I run 22 pistons. They are slightly smaller in diameter but there are various hole sizes
and they are cheap.
Old 27-07-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'm with Gayo on the piston sizing for 4wd.

Nick is a very smooth driver and strokes a car around so can get the benefit from running a softer damping setup (we we always a piston or so different on the standard shocks too).
If I, with a much more agressive driving style, try to run that soft I find that car feels a little unreactive but the big holes sure seem to work well for Nick & Colin May!

I think it is like many other things in this sport .. you need to put the work in yourself to find the setup combinations that work for you. Of course people like Nick & I are more than happy to advise what our experiences are and what a change should do for you.

I've not done much work with the big bores on the 2wd car but I certainly believe that I personally would want less piston flow area in the front shocks than is offered by the stock pistons (5x1.3 by my measurements by the way).
Old 28-07-2011

Has anyone tried the new Ghea tapered pistons for BB? They are finally for sale on their site...

Team Kyosho-Proline Racing-Team Orion-LRP-Maugrafix-ZWorks.tk-Rudebits-Ghea Racing