Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Multicopters & Flight

Old 30-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Insurance and Such Like??

Hi Guys.

I have a few questions that hopefully someone can answer.

I know we can join (http://www.bmfa.org/index.html) but i'm unsure of how / when / why one is covered in the event of an accident.

I've seen various Quad films, one guy locally at Beeston Festival flying / filming a Quad over the crowd and even police. I assume he must have had permission - so what's the crack with filming / flying around people & property? The same guy has filmed all around leeds at various events - even in doors at a 'roller disco' !

Does the BMFA insurance only cover you to fly at a designated club or flying field, or are you covered, say flying at the local park or on site? (if i'm filming something for a client for example). When I fly at the Park - the Quad could break / drop out of the sky - or even - (hopefully not) fly away when i get the Naza installed!

I'm helping a friend with some shots for a short film soon, and want to be sure i'm covered if anyone asks - if anything happens....

How can I cover myself against any / all of these with regard to hurting someone or damaging property? I don't think i'll ever fly over people, that's asking for trouble IMO - but anything could happen if you loose control or the quad goes off on it's own.

I just want to do what I can / should so that if anything happens i'm covered.

Cheers Guys.

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 30-09-2013

Hi Andy,

Not sure of all the official flying stuff, but I have Personal Liability Insurance which would cover me if I hurt someone or damaged property (accidental of course!!). This is included in my household insurance, but I know some credit cards have it also.
I also have personnel possesions insurance which includes accidental damage and loss (all in on my house insurance), so in theory, if my quad decides to fly off, I should be able to claim.

Might be worth looking through some of you existing policies/credit cards as you may already be covered?

Sorry can't be of more help.

Jim
Old 30-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Andy,

I understood that you needed a CAA license/permission for any form of commercial work involving a UAV.

I'd read this page:
http://quadcopter.heliguy.com/Certification-and-Law/

and then:

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1995

I believe the BMFA insurance only covers you for "hobby" flying accidents, so appropriate cover would be required if undertaking any commercial work flying over people or property, even if unpaid.

You may have your own professional indemnity and liability insurance, as I do for purposes of my business, however I'm fairly sure the terms will not cover for a specific quad flying accident, hobby flying or otherwise. Maybe something to check with your broker/agent?

I also think for commercial flying insurance purposes you need a certificate of airworthiness for the quad, again which implies you have to get it built from a reputable supplier, rather than a "home" build. The new flight limit features of the Naza v4.00 software is a requirement for certificate of airworthiness, previously only available in much more expensive flight controllers.

UK specific information is a bit vague, intentionally so to get you to engage with a reputable UK UAV dealer, perhaps?
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 30-09-2013
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
Andy,

I understood that you needed a CAA license/permission for any form of commercial work involving a UAV.

I'd read this page:
http://quadcopter.heliguy.com/Certification-and-Law/

and then:

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1995

I believe the BMFA insurance only covers you for "hobby" flying accidents, so appropriate cover would be required if undertaking any commercial work flying over people or property, even if unpaid.

You may have your own professional indemnity and liability insurance, as I do for purposes of my business, however I'm fairly sure the terms will not cover for a specific quad flying accident, hobby flying or otherwise. Maybe something to check with your broker/agent?

I also think for commercial flying insurance purposes you need a certificate of airworthiness for the quad, again which implies you have to get it built from a reputable supplier, rather than a "home" build. The new flight limit features of the Naza v4.00 software is a requirement for certificate of airworthiness, previously only available in much more expensive flight controllers.

UK specific information is a bit vague, intentionally so to get you to engage with a reputable UK UAV dealer, perhaps?
Spot on Neal - that is my understanding as well.
There have been a few states in the good ol' USA that have banned ANY form of commercial "drone" activity (inc those of property developers/sellers shooting unoccupied houses) primarily due to fears over peoples privacy. Sooner rather than later the US will stamp down in a big way and regulate heavily against our hobby (already Texas has banned ANY flying craft capable of carrying a camera) and I expect the UK will follow, hopefully with a more common sense approach...
Old 01-10-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Cheers for the info guys.

Looks like a bit of a minefield!

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk