Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Multicopters & Flight

Old 15-07-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default KK2

Col - one for you this

I swopped out my esc's on my 450 the other day to the new SimonK Afro ones. In the graden it seemed fine - so I took it out. A few mins into the flight, I punched out from the low to high altitude and the 450 just died and came hurtling back to the ground - Thankfully as I desperately tried to throttle up, it came back to life and I managed to settle it before hitting the ground.

On reviewing the video from the keychain, you can see the motors stop - the quad drop, then a beep as I guess it powers up the board again and I catch it Not happy.

So - ive bought one of these to power the KK2 instead : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=28160

Questions (Col )

Should I set it as 5V or 6V
I know the KK2 gets power for the flight controller / receiver through M1. As this is a switching BEC (the esc's are linear) will it be ok to plug the BEC into M1 along with the M1 signal wire and leave all the other esc's in M2,3,& 4 with their liner BEC's still enabled?

Also - i've read the KK can be powered from the receiver if the BEC is plugged into the receiver, does this then only power M1, or the whole lot - thing is I want to add servos for my gimbal onto M7 and M8 so the second rail needs power.

Anyway - Col - be careful with the Afro's - i'm a bit worried now, not going to fly itagain until I have an external BEC wired in.

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 15-07-2013
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

hmmm Afro's arrived this morning.
There has been talk on RCG in the afro thread of the BEC (potentially) not being upto the job, so most recommend doing exactly what you're going to do.
TBH I've not really paid much attention to is as others say they've had no problem with the KK2 and afro's... I'll have a scan through and see if I can get an answer
Old 15-07-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Nice one Col.

How would you recommend I connect the BEC - to M1 or to the receiver ?

Also is it 5V or 6V? There's a jumper on the BEC I believe to switch between the 2.

Ta.
Andy

Old 15-07-2013
Awesome Admin

I asked your question (actually I copied and pasted it) and have got 2 reply's so far.

Quote:
Yea, this is a KK2 reset. The facts say that there was probably a lot of noise on the battery power that got through the BEC to the KK2. (unless you heard a noticeable drop in power between start of high power and KK2 reset, which could indicate a low voltage condition, I think not unless you are running 2S)

You are doing the right thing by trying another power source for the KK2. I would add that perhaps you are over amping your battery. Do you know what the voltage drops to under that load? Maybe carefully test on the ground with an volt meter hokked up.

The specs say it will work on either 5v or 6v. I use 5v. Try one and then the other if the one still resets?
Quote:
I had the same thing happen with 2200 20C batteries.
Nothing wrong with the FC, the battery could not dump enough power to the motors.
A full recharge was better but 40C batteries never do it.
Old 15-07-2013
Awesome Admin

I see we've both got RCG accounts!
You asked in the afro thread, I asked in the KK2 thread

I test ran mine in the garden tonight, with the afro's and a new integrated PDB. Got the P and I gains to nearly 10 times what I was running before before it started to oscillate. Only ran for about 10min, but flight characteristics were quite dramatically different.
It didn't get pushed hard, but suffered no brownouts either. All wires are currently intact, unlike previous ESC's

Last edited by Col; 15-07-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old 15-07-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Cheers Col.

Post your settings when you are happy with it - I'd be interested to see / try them.

I'm going to wire the BEC into M1 and see how I go. I flew the 450 a few times with the plush esc's with no problems - it was the first proper flight with the afro's when it browned out

Not happy !

Old 16-07-2013
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys View Post
Post your settings when you are happy with it - I'd be interested to see / try them.

I'm going to wire the BEC into M1 and see how I go. I flew the 450 a few times with the plush esc's with no problems - it was the first proper flight with the afro's when it browned out

Not happy !
I've ordered the UBEC you linked too just to be on the safe side.

Aileron

Elevator

Rudder

Stick scaling

Misc settings

self level settings
Old 16-07-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Cheers Col
From memory - looks close to mine on the Afros - ill post mine when I've sorted it.

Why is stick scaling for throttle at 93 - odd number ?

Also - I run self level p gain at around 35 - 40 as I don't like it levelling too quickly on its own. I'm trying to slowly dial it out

Old 17-07-2013
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
I see your UBEC installed.
I'm assuming that I can remove the signal wire from the afro (in M1) and insert it into the UBEC housing and plug the joblot into M1 and this will do the job?
Do I need to remove power from the other afro's, as (unlike my old esc's) they are all intact at the moment
Old 18-07-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi Col.

I just plugged the BEC into M1 and then took the signal wire from ECS/Motor1 and put that into the M1 plug too. Seems fine.

I have not taken the poser wires off M2,3&4 as my understanding is that this is a separate power rail so should not conflict. Also my Super Simple Gimbal needs power for the 2 micro servos - this all seems to be working fine.

I really want a brushless gimbal though - wondering if I need a bigger flying machine - as the 450 fly's ok with all this clobber on it - but I wouldn't want to weigh it done too much more...

Old 01-08-2013

The D Boots top cover looks great. Is it bought or made from?
Old 26-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Col/Andy.

got my KK2 and USBASP.

Have you got any links to guides and software/firmware please?

How about starting settings for my 330?

thanks
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 27-09-2013
Awesome Admin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ilja0BjlBE

Old 27-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

thanks Col, sorted now.

Which 1.6++ version to use? there are a few listed in the lazyzero archive.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 27-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi Neal.

Are you sorted?

If you have 1.6++ installed you should be good to go. The stock settings on 1.6++ should be fine for a starting point. If you have Afro esc's i've found you don't need to put in silly high settings to get it to fly well - just tweak the standard settings. It's really easy to alter stuff, let me know if you have any questions

Andy

Old 27-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Hi Neal.

Are you sorted?

If you have 1.6++ installed you should be good to go. The stock settings on 1.6++ should be fine for a starting point. If you have Afro esc's i've found you don't need to put in silly high settings to get it to fly well - just tweak the standard settings. It's really easy to alter stuff, let me know if you have any questions

Andy
Cheers Andy.

On the KK flash tool repository software, there are for differently named versions of 1.6++ rev1, satelite, S.bus and CPPM. I went for the rev1.

afros still haven't turned up :-(
Old 27-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi Neal.

That's the one I have put on - it says 'modified by RC911.'

My 450 / Zenmuse / Naza 2 arrived today
450 is in the for sale section.

Old 27-09-2013
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
Cheers Andy.

On the KK flash tool repository software, there are for differently named versions of 1.6++ rev1, satelite, S.bus and CPPM. I went for the rev1.

afros still haven't turned up :-(
You picked the right one - satellite, s.bus and CPPM are all for special/different types of receivers.
I have 1.6++ on my quad and rev1 on the tri board (that I've not used yet)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1899326
Old 28-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Hi Neal.

That's the one I have put on - it says 'modified by RC911.'

My 450 / Zenmuse / Naza 2 arrived today
450 is in the for sale section.
Cheers Andy/Col. Yes that's the one.

Interested to see your gimbals Andy, if you are flying sometime next week.

Neal
Old 28-09-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi Neal.

Will let you know about next week - maybe try and meet up if you get the KK in the air?

I may need some help with the Naza - looks complicated !

The Zenmuse Gimbal is tiny - the motors are half the size of the tarot. Also it's very light. Looks lovely - but should I keep it or sell it?