Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Multicopters & Flight

Old 06-01-2014

Default Quadcopter advice

I was wounding if I could get some advice of you guys, I'm currently looking to retrain and take a different employment route and stumbled on UAV surveying which I must say has tickled my interest no end so I've been looking into the pilots licence and what that entails etc and also equipment needed i've raced cars for many years although not for the past few and even had a helicopter which I occasionally didn't crash unfortunately I didn't have a mentor to show me the ropes and help with set up and gave up and I was a bit younger and dafter.

I'm a little unsure which way to tackle learning as for the licence I need to use my own equipment which needs to be certified each uav needs to be individually registered which makes sense for safety.

My main question for which I'm seeking your wise advise do I

A- buy the equipment I plan on using to learn on s800 evo

B - get a smaller version f450 (could be used indoors) or a f550 which could still be used as a back up main platform

I'm looking at an a2 controller and dual futaba tranny set up ( client operated camera gimbal so they can see what they want to see )

Some of the kit I've not fully looked into down links etc as the idea is still in its infancy I do have a fair bit of money to invest and once I can get back to the uk some time too.

Both routes for learning have merits but also pitfalls an s800 evo with the a2 controller and it's safety features could be safe and easy with its position hold and return to home, but a smaller craft might give valuable learning regarding responding to situations but not really suitable for camera work except maybe indoors.

Your views on which learning route to take would be appreciated I'm sure it's like cars u quickly master one type of equipment and suddenly find yourself upgrading and spending daft money on newer equipment when you should have just bought the more expensive item in the first place.

Allan
Old 07-01-2014

Hi,

Bnuc is what you need for commercial, paid flying.
This will set you back around £2000.
DJI s800 with gimbal for sony nex will be around £5000 rtf.

The f450 is not really an indoor copter, prob a little big for flying indoors, in residential places its certaionly too big.

My advice if you havnt flown anything for a while and to get yourself familiar with copters and the dji stuff is get yourself this package- here
or the F550 version.
Strap a gopro in and see what you think.
Old 07-01-2014

Hi Northern monkey, thanks for reply I'm looking at booking he bnuc-s in the next few months, 7k same as I came up basically but I have a few tweeks which will bump the investment up a notch or 3 and yes I'll be spending my hard earned cash over there, as for the indoors copter may end up building my own thinking about it but not for a while that's just a back burner idea ATM,
Old 07-01-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Get yourself on RC Groups and get reading too - personally after all I have read on the DJI 800 frames - I would stay clear - not convinced. Check out Jimmy's long post with his Tarot Monster, I think he avoided the DJI 800 for similar reasons to the ones I have read.

That said - they sure look cool ! Maybe the new one (Evo ?) is ok ?

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 07-01-2014

I did mean the Evo, the non Evo can be had with wookong for £1400!
Old 07-01-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
I did mean the Evo, the non Evo can be had with wookong for £1400!
Is that the one that face plants itself into the ground for no reason !
Seen lots of scary YouTube vids of them crashing...

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 07-01-2014

Decided I couldn't wait so bought a phantom 2 to play with and get some stick time and I'm bored waiting for work to be less useless 57 years and their still inefficient disorganised muppets.

Originally I was looking at ofm quads and was impressed with the Ali on his YouTube channel I've still got plenty of time to decide the evo does look a Gucci bit of kit and the company I was looking at over here aerial media pros sell real uber Gucci gear along with the dji stuff and it makes no sense to me to sell high end products with others that can damage your reputation but they might have good reason to sell an inferior product but I shall go look on rc groups.

Does anyone on here have there bnuc-s qualification jimmy for example ??