Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 02-01-2013

Default Cab forward shell....

I may be pissing in wrong direction winds... Why dont people fit bit of a lexan sheet fitted on the front shock tower between shocks?

It would give some 'better' downforce due cleaner air flow to shock tower, instead of disturbing the air flow to cab forward shell from shock tower with holes

I wondered if the cab forward is a placbo effect?? so people see the cab forward shell as "heavy" on front end?
Old 02-01-2013

i read posts on another site on this so would be interested to see what is said...no one could clarify benefit of cab forward against standard and many argued it was marketing whilst others that better drivers would notice benefit.., many suggested placebo effect and actually if that works then why not?

shock tower did seem to be the problem/condfusion area as the air is disturbed, do any manufacturers use the forum what is their take?
Old 02-01-2013
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooom View Post
I may be pissing in wrong direction winds... Why dont people fit bit of a lexan sheet fitted on the front shock tower between shocks?

It would give some 'better' downforce due cleaner air flow to shock tower, instead of disturbing the air flow to cab forward shell from shock tower with holes

I wondered if the cab forward is a placbo effect?? so people see the cab forward shell as "heavy" on front end?
but that would only affect the front wheels, cab forward shells affect not just the front but the whole car,
ok its biased towards the front,
Old 02-01-2013

Its an interesting theory ... I pretty much had this conversation with a driver at our local club at the weekend ...

He was saying how fitting a small wing on the bonnet of his 2wd car had stopped it from flipping at the end of the straight ...

.. and funnily enough I had tested the same wing on the same car in our windtunnel that we are building ... and scales said it made no difference at all ... not a jot ...

I mentioned placebo but we wouldn't have it
Old 02-01-2013
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

do your scales measure horizontal as well as vertical Resistance
Old 02-01-2013

If the cab forward affect the whole car balance, what is that rear wing doing there then?
Old 02-01-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

It isn't downforce as in an upside down wing, it is a spoiler, it spoils the airflow and can affect balance in the air. There is very little 'aerodynamics' involved, what your trying to achieve is a change of 'balance' rather than a massive change in loading to the front or rear axle. Correctly designed, it should aide handling at med-high speed that is all.

I would agree that there is a 'placebo' affect going on, like when you buy a new car, you feel faster, so you actually go faster, it isn't the car it is you.
Old 02-01-2013

I think it is the cab shape and not necessarily its placement. If you have a cab forward which is very streamlined, a lot of air will still be reaching the rear wing. However, if its an ugly upright brick, the airflow will be disrupted massively, so less air shall reach the rear wing. But, if the cab is too far forward, the airflow will have a chance to come back down and 'regroup', so airflow will still reach the rear. The ideal would then be a very tall, boxy, upright design mid mounted. In the case of the front wing, it creates a lot of front downforce, regroups, reaches the rear wing, creates rear downforce.
Old 02-01-2013

I'm not sure I would agree that there is no aerodynamics at work.

We've recorded over 50 grammes of downforce, measured as a vertical load on a set of scales to the rear axle of a micro !!

But from what little testing we have done, it seems that most of what happens at the front, is controlled by what is being done at the rear ... in other words rear wing shape, height and position have a huge impact on the front of the car ...
Old 02-01-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Symantics, Aerodynamics and downforce are linked but not the same, as we are not really controlling the airflow around the object you are spoiling airflow to achieve the downforce.
Old 02-01-2013
Banned

an interesting theory I heard,

Its all visual, Because the cab is further forward, your under the illusion the the car is closer to than the corner than it actually is.

So you begin your turn earlier, Giving the illusion your car is gripping more or has more front end down force, When actually its the line you should be taking in the first place!

Old 02-01-2013

Cab forward = The Emperor's new clothes. Just my opinion