Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Associated

Old 14-05-2013
Mad Member

Default Still no chance for gear diffs for the B44? (from AE)

(with metal gears)

I've used converted DEX410 diffs in my B44 for a good while now, it's just perfect!

The original ball diffs in a way aren't the biggest problem. The problem is that the nylong crown gears strip after a few practise nights on high grip astro.

Cheers

Tech Tips, HopUps & Bling

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 14-05-2013

Post some pics mate, sounds interesting
Old 14-05-2013

I have just put durango diffs in my 44.2, very happy with how it went. I will probably go for the machined crown wheels now I know it works.
Old 14-05-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASR View Post
Post some pics mate, sounds interesting
http://www.bugleboyracing.com/index.php?productid=20

Thomas (Bugle Boy) does amazing work!

But I really cannot understand why Team Associated don't supply metal geared gear diffs as an option?

We now have the K1, DEX and XB4 with gear diffs... wake up americans!

Xray 2014 XB4 4WD & 2WD | B4 FTW Night Fox XL | Mugen MRX-5 | RB | Futaba 3VCS FASST | Faskolor

Visit my showroom
Old 14-05-2013

Hi SHY!

Can you tell us a little more on how to tune with gear diffs? I'm about to switch to the Durango diffs on my FS2

Rusti Design - Awesome custom stickers and cool stuff

My trader feedback
Old 14-05-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHY View Post
(with metal gears)

The original ball diffs in a way aren't the biggest problem. The problem is that the nylong crown gears strip after a few practise nights on high grip astro.

Cheers
Having run the B44 and B44.1 on high grip astro and carpet for a number years, and can say I've never ever suffered from the crown gears breaking/wearing that quickly.

Once shimmed correctly (the kit setting is never been right for any of my cars so I've always done them to my feel each time) they've never given me any grief at all...in fact, I've used the same diff gears, pretty much unmaintained (I'm really lazy with maintenace, but do change the diff rings/balls from time to time!!!) for over a year on high grip astro and carpet tracks and not had a diff failure! And that's running at the sharp end of the racing at my local clubs...and doing regionals and nationals with them too.

I've only had 1 set of gears strip in about 3 years...but that was literally after a years solid use week in week out where it just wore out...so not unexpected really!

Just a little odd that you should be able to kill them that quickly...
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 14-05-2013
Mad Member

Salut Gayo! Mon ami en le pais de fromage e vin rouge! I just found an Astro setup from the Durango web page - and it works great for me. Haven't tried different settings (not felt the need). I've seen Hupo take out one of the internal set of gears, probably to make it even more free (haven't tried). It feels very similar to the ball diff. And is quiet. My Durango OTOH is a noisy bugger (seems to be a problem with the center axles, something came bent in the box - will try and buy new parts).

Blue_Pinky, I know the B44 very well. And I never had this problem on other types on tracks for years. Even the first astro tracks. But my local track is just super grippy. I always shim them as tight as possible. And use as loose a slipper as I can... still goes... a guy I regularly practise with experiences the same. Metal gear diff seem to just go on and on, and they stay super smooth. Whilst the ball diffs really take a beating on astro, and get notchy quite fast.

Visit my showroom
Old 14-05-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayo View Post
Hi SHY!

Can you tell us a little more on how to tune with gear diffs? I'm about to switch to the Durango diffs on my FS2
get a few weights of diff oil. Something like 3, 5, 7, and 10000 cst.
Then experiment!
Thicker in the front seems to work best, I use 10fr and 7rr in a 410.
Many of the set ups are either thicker front or same at both ends.
Old 14-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHY View Post
Salut Gayo! Mon ami en le pais de fromage e vin rouge!

Yes, I will experiment. I already have 2000, 3000, 5000, 7000, 10000 and 30 000 so I am ready for the messy stuff. I even have a 1 million CPS oil that I used on my Mugen Athlete. Not sure I will use it much here though

Rusti Design - Awesome custom stickers and cool stuff

My trader feedback
Old 15-05-2013

I thought it would make my car noisy, but it didn't . Also found that the bearings from the one way diff fit they seem to be metric I/d and imperial o/d I have been trying to see if they are a different part no, but can't find them
Old 15-05-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldy View Post
I thought it would make my car noisy, but it didn't . Also found that the bearings from the one way diff fit they seem to be metric I/d and imperial o/d I have been trying to see if they are a different part no, but can't find them
Correct, you don't need the alu rings if you already have those bearings! They are a perfect fit already.

It make a little noise when new, but once broken in it's no difference really to the original diffs! Just awesome stuff!

The ironic thing here is thay Gayo was one of the first on this planet to have this in his B44! Took me a looooong time before I found someone who had the tools to do the conversion

Visit my showroom
Old 15-05-2013

The only reason I found out that the one way bearings fit is that one of my durango diff kits came with what looks like wheel bearings! So it was hunt through the spares to see what fit
Old 15-05-2013

Yeah those bearings are impossible to find though, they seem to have been discontinued a few years ago.

It's cool not worrying about smashing nylon gears, even though a FWD B44 with a 5.5t is pretty funny. 3 years of 4WD mod and still on my first set of gears. Just running the cast crown wheels too.
Old 15-05-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugle View Post
Yeah those bearings are impossible to find though, they seem to have been discontinued a few years ago.

It's cool not worrying about smashing nylon gears, even though a FWD B44 with a 5.5t is pretty funny. 3 years of 4WD mod and still on my first set of gears. Just running the cast crown wheels too.
Yes, forget to mention that it's only the rear gears that wear out. Front doesen't get that much abuse.

I see also now with this sick traction that the outdrives take a hell of a beating too! Never ever seen this amount of wear/slop before! It's almost time to go 1:8 dimensions there...

Visit my showroom
Old 16-05-2013

Yeah i've had to change outdrives.
Currently trying 60k oil in the front, looks to be wrecking the front CVA's nicely too