Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > REAL 1:1 Cars

Old 29-04-2011

205 gti and stick cossie running gear and engine in there!! Done a few in my time at work, will try and find photos!
Old 29-04-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

Im gonna go check out my mates MR2 tomorrow. I know it's pretty clean, but needs bodywork, exhaust and wheels doing.
Anyone know any good company which would provide insurance for like 1000 miles a year? Otherwise ill be looking at something like a MGB or Spitfire to check everything cheap(ish).
Old 29-04-2011
#1 ZX5 fan

Both Performance direct and adrian flux do cheap low mileage policies, mines 3K and just for me it's less than £250 on the mx5

Nortech is ACE!
Old 30-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwell View Post
Im gonna go check out my mates MR2 tomorrow. I know it's pretty clean, but needs bodywork, exhaust and wheels doing.
Anyone know any good company which would provide insurance for like 1000 miles a year? Otherwise ill be looking at something like a MGB or Spitfire to check everything cheap(ish).

Is it a Mk1 or Mk2 MR2 you are looking at ? And what year ?

Mk1s tend to rust badly rear 3/4s, behind the door and rear wheelarches. Other than that they are good. Front crossmember can go though, watch out for that one as that holds the front end together ! Also look out for stone chipping front 2-part valance, might have rust there if not looked after. Datsun Cherry Mk2 rear wheelarches can be tweaked to use as replacement rear arches here, and repair panels are avaialble for the rest - see the MK1 MR2 club for details.

Mk2's. especially late ones, dont rust much at all, so worry if it is a Mk2 and it is rusty !

Early Mk1's have a higher revving engine than the post-86's and boy is the extra 1000 revs fun to listen to

Myself & the missus ran a early Mk1 with a late Mk2 together for a year. The Mk2 had in theory 170 bhp, 40 more BHP than the Mk1 but up to a ton there wasnt much in it on the road. And when it came to the twisties the Mk1 was waaaay faster, much more nimble, and much more fun ! If you can find one cheap, the supercharged Mk1 is a beast, very tuneable and very, very quick...

In 80k miles in the Mk1, only 2 problems - once the light switch failed, and the central locking fried itself once hot day. Both fixed quickly though. Apart from that, only regular servicing items were ever needed, and alternators every couple of years. The Mk2 was also very good mechanically wise, although we only kept that a year as it was a little too overweight & boring for us compaired to the Mk1, which we still have 16 years later !

If you can afford one, go for the Magnex Stainless Exhaust, still available new, or s/h for around a 100 quid.

If you do get one, join the owners clubs for advice & benefits. You get much cheaper insurance deals that way as well
Old 30-04-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Wow, loads of info, thanks!

It's this one for info: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=p5197.c0.m619

I know it's in good condition mechically, but will defo need the exhaust done anyway!

Thanks
Old 30-04-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by super__dan View Post
Both Performance direct and adrian flux do cheap low mileage policies, mines 3K and just for me it's less than £250 on the mx5
Adrian flux were £425, as they couldn't take into account my no claims. Thats with an sp30 from over 4 years ago and a non fault claim from 3.5 years ago. Some wants 3 years info, some 5, it's very annoying!
I hate that they can request speeding points when they arn't even on my license!
Old 30-04-2011

Dosent look too bad at all that Mk2, the greens nice, different from the normal MR2 colours

Make sure you check insurance through the owners club, you generally save more than the cost of membership on cheaper insurance. Ive done it with every car ive run and always worthwhile in some way
Old 30-04-2011
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Just for reference - any blow in any section of the exhaust is an mot fail.

What exactly is the project part of your car purchase going to be? Or are you just after a ready to run car?
Old 30-04-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
Just for reference - any blow in any section of the exhaust is an mot fail.

What exactly is the project part of your car purchase going to be? Or are you just after a ready to run car?
It does need bodywork, wheels and exhaust, but I know what you mean. I was originally looking at a car which needed a lot more work, and to be honest I'm probably going to look for something older and in worse condition, but not a rust bucket!
Old 30-04-2011
#1 ZX5 fan

Quote:
Adrian flux were £425, as they couldn't take into account my no claims. Thats with an sp30 from over 4 years ago and a non fault claim from 3.5 years ago. Some wants 3 years info, some 5, it's very annoying!
I hate that they can request speeding points when they arn't even on my license!
Trouble is it's slightly too new. Mine is a 93 - L and when I enquired about a slightly later (still mk1 1.6) it was much more expensive. I don't know the ins and outs of it but it's officially a 'cherished car' polidy, not 'classic'. I don't use nor gain a NCD but that kind of suits.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 14-05-2011
Mad Member

Got a 1980 Porsche 924 in the garage took it off the road 2 years ago if i stop RC Racing every weekend i might get time to do the bits i have left to get it to the standard i would like, although its still a tidy car for age have put a ltd edition interior in it but some window rubbers are cracking got new ones just need time to fit them etc

Cheap to insure classic car insurance
Good fun to drive!
KoPropo EX10
Kyosho MP9 , OS Speed
Paint by Magoo