Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > Scotland

View Poll Results: Would you like 2WD & 4WD run on separate days?
Yes 12 44.44%
No 15 55.56%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-08-2012

The highlight of a meet for me are the races - it would be a great loss to drop from 3 finals to an all-or-nothing 1.

Personally, after making the commitment to drive to a round for a day's racing it doesn't matter if the meet finishes at 4pm, 5pm, 6pm or 7pm. It's all about getting the best VFM out the day IYSWIM. So I don't understand why there's a discussion about getting finished earlier than we presently do

As for the problem of repairing/preparing cars between rounds etc being eased if there were an increased entrants and therefore a greater number of heats (say 8 rather than the current, typical 6 - as Derek mentions)... Well, in that case why not just introduce the same time gap at the end of a round of heats/finals artificially?? Simples.
Old 20-08-2012

Here's my tuppence worth.

I voted "no" for seperate days for the same reason most have already given. Plus I dont think my brownie points would stretch for 14 days away. For the moment, 2WD will be my "supporting class" but we'll see how that pans out once I do more racing with it. (I certainly did better with it at the last Falkirk round). 7 races is quite a lot for one day and I would be okay with dropping one race if it makes it easier and more enjoyable for everyone. (4 qualifiers and 2 finals, or 3 qualifiers and 3 finals - as per our club rounds at SDRCC )

All in all I think we are heading in the right direction and most seem to enjoy the racing in the current format. However, I'll welcome any changes for the better.
Old 20-08-2012

Ahhh -hadn't realized you were doing 4 quali rounds and 3 finals each. Wow. 7 races for everybody. No wonder it's hectic! I assumed it was still 4 rounds of heats and one final each and 3 A's.

Yeah, that would have to probably change with increasing numbers right enough...

Jimmy
Old 20-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Jim View Post
Ahhh -hadn't realized you were doing 4 quali rounds and 3 finals each. Wow. 7 races for everybody. No wonder it's hectic! I assumed it was still 4 rounds of heats and one final each and 3 A's.

Yeah, that would have to probably change with increasing numbers right enough...

Jimmy

yup, hectic is the word, for me 4 rounds and one final each only from B onwards. 3 A final legs for only the A final. it was like that years ago and worked with over 60,70,80+drivers.

also did the meetings not start at 8 or around 8.30. what time did they start when you raced jimmy. (late 80,s) Maybe starting rounds at 9 instead of 10.open practice from 8 for an hour.

As for 2 classes, its best to have it on the same day, for now, Think of the cost inlvolved for racing 2 days for some people who have to travel far. we want to increase numbers not lose them.
keep it as it is as dave says the numbers are low, wait till they pick up and start playing with that idea for 2 days. running separate days would lose the atmosphere also.

Run the 2wd as above also. 4 rounds 3 A mains and single finals below thatwill cut time down. then use that time to gap the 4wd and 2wd timetable.
my views....feel free to bash them up

2002, 3 , 4
B.R.C.A Scottish indoor TC champion.
2005......... B.R.C.A Open modified Scottish TC champion.
2011....... Scottish Indoor OFF-ROAD champion.
2012 ......... Scottish SORC Off-Road Runner up.

My oOple Trader feedback http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84630
Old 20-08-2012

Here's an idea to throw in the mix.

4 rounds equal, 1 eight minute final.

Each round must be equivalent to 8 heats time.

I'm away to hide now.
Kyosho DB1
Kyosho DB2
Kyosho Turbo Ultima
Kyosho Optima
Schumacher Atom
NORA - Northern Off-Road Arena - www.ddrcc.co.uk
Trader Feedback: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49044
Old 20-08-2012
Mad Member

An eight minute final for everyone? No chance. It's hard enough getting people to Marshall for five minutes let alone eight!

I think easiest way to do it is drop a round of qualifying and go back to FTQ.

Either that or just one final for all. I think 3 finals get boring. Especially if your running both classes. 14 races is a lot in one mentally quick day.

Dave
Reedy

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63097
Old 20-08-2012

[devil's advocate mode]

Whilst I appreciate it's like that at National level and was the same up here with large numbers in the past, I struggle to see how reducing the number of finals to 1 for B downwards will encourage newbies and growth.

Travel 1-2hrs+ knowing that you'll certainly only get one race at the end of the day? For many drivers (if only running one class, and attending every round) that would mean only 7 races in the entire SORC season...

Surely better to reduce the number of qualifying rounds if extra time *really* has to be engineered that way?

I note everyone proposing only 3 finals for the A are folk who are pretty much guaranteed to always qualify for the A

[/devil's advocate mode]

Humble /2p from a 'non-A finaler' when rounds don't have numerous absentees
Old 20-08-2012

John Allan's motors would never last 8 mins!
Old 20-08-2012

Of all the posts and ideas so far, I think I agree with Martins views. This should give that bit of extra time needed to slow the day down a bit and make it feel a bit less hectic. I really struggle with running both classes myself and one for Jamie nevermind if one of us breaks a car. I wouldn't want to stop racing one class, and Martins proposal seems like a good compromise for the time being. I don't think separate days is the way forward either, I think attendance numbers would plummet and the atmosphere would be lacking too, costs would also be prohibitive in this format.
Old 20-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Wallace View Post
yup, hectic is the word, for me 4 rounds and one final each only from B onwards. 3 A final legs for only the A final. it was like that years ago and worked with over 60,70,80+drivers.

also did the meetings not start at 8 or around 8.30. what time did they start when you raced jimmy. (late 80,s) Maybe starting rounds at 9 instead of 10.open practice from 8 for an hour.

As for 2 classes, its best to have it on the same day, for now, Think of the cost inlvolved for racing 2 days for some people who have to travel far. we want to increase numbers not lose them.
keep it as it is as dave says the numbers are low, wait till they pick up and start playing with that idea for 2 days. running separate days would lose the atmosphere also.

Run the 2wd as above also. 4 rounds 3 A mains and single finals below thatwill cut time down. then use that time to gap the 4wd and 2wd timetable.
my views....feel free to bash them up
Back in the day... at a typical Dumfries run BRCA National. Briefing at 8.30. Practice 8.45. First heat 10.00. 4 rounds of 12 ten car heats. 14 finals (3 A's). Presentation of troph's at 5 ish. Home. Ta Daa!

This required a fairly merciless schedule and a fair bit of 'encouragement' throughout the day! Usually went pretty smoothly. Usually.

Jimmy
Old 20-08-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason-l View Post
[devil's advocate mode]

Whilst I appreciate it's like that at National level and was the same up here with large numbers in the past, I struggle to see how reducing the number of finals to 1 for B downwards will encourage newbies and growth.

Travel 1-2hrs+ knowing that you'll certainly only get one race at the end of the day? For many drivers (if only running one class, and attending every round) that would mean only 7 races in the entire SORC season...

Surely better to reduce the number of qualifying rounds if extra time *really* has to be engineered that way?

I note everyone proposing only 3 finals for the A are folk who are pretty much guaranteed to always qualify for the A

[/devil's advocate mode]

Humble /2p from a 'non-A finaler' when rounds don't have numerous absentees
I'm not a fan of the 3 A final scenario. I would much rather have one final for all than go that way.

Jason, how do you work out 7 races a season? If you mean seven finals then that's fine, qualifying to me is always the main part of the meeting.

And surely there should be some sort of incentive for getting to the A final? And remind me Jason, we're you not in the A last week?
Reedy

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63097
Old 20-08-2012

Send a message via MSN to D20MCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by orinoco View Post
costs would also be prohibitive in this format.
sell your porsche then

In all seriousness I think what Martin is saying sounds best with the A final only having 3 legs, I don't always make the A final but I think it should change, it's daft to run a three leg final for one or two cars is it not?. A 9am start would also save loads of hanging about.
Old 20-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by discothesnake View Post
Jason, how do you work out 7 races a season? If you mean seven finals then that's fine, qualifying to me is always the main part of the meeting.
It's maybe cos I'm still getting my teeth into this, but I find qualifying and racing quite different experiences, Dave. Maybe that will change as I get a better feel for (and understanding of) things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discothesnake View Post
And surely there should be some sort of incentive for getting to the A final? And remind me Jason, we're you not in the A last week?
I was, but realistically only because several quicker, far more experienced guys were absent. Hence describing myself as a 'non-A finaler'
Old 20-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Jim View Post
Back in the day... at a typical Dumfries run BRCA National. Briefing at 8.30. Practice 8.45. First heat 10.00. 4 rounds of 12 ten car heats. 14 finals (3 A's). Presentation of troph's at 5 ish. Home. Ta Daa!

This required a fairly merciless schedule and a fair bit of 'encouragement' throughout the day! Usually went pretty smoothly. Usually.

Jimmy

thats the one jimmy..........

i remember when i first started off road back in 93, the scottish rounds were 4 rounds ftq, and 3 leg finals for the A main. 1 final B,C,D,E,F....

this little rule gave you that extra push to try and make an A final, i thought it was great..... a nice little headache to try and find an extra 2-3 sets of nicads for the A final back then. loved it

oh and running an 8min final............................................: wtf:. NA

2002, 3 , 4
B.R.C.A Scottish indoor TC champion.
2005......... B.R.C.A Open modified Scottish TC champion.
2011....... Scottish Indoor OFF-ROAD champion.
2012 ......... Scottish SORC Off-Road Runner up.

My oOple Trader feedback http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84630
Old 29-08-2012

Default possable new venue in scotland

hi everyone
in comment to jimmys thread on new venues,
i am starting to post pics up of the new all weather asro turf track we are building in sutherland. i will keep you all posted soon cheers. oh....... how do i attach pics ? ...............right ill sort it and get back to ya
Old 29-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul whittock View Post
hi everyone
in comment to jimmys thread on new venues,
i am starting to post pics up of the new all weather asro turf track we are building in sutherland. i will keep you all posted soon cheers. oh....... how do i attach pics ? ...............right ill sort it and get back to ya
I use photobucket to upload my pictures to, then use it to supply the necessary tags to pop the photo onto the forum....

Sutherland? Postcode for the venue so we can Google to goggle...

Jimmy

Re-started 2012. With Caster SK10
Driving Xray XB4 & Precirotate PRS1 V2 for 2014.
Hobby Pro PRS1 V2 2WD and PRSB10 4WD for 2015
Team Inside Line Racing with PR Racing buggies for 2016, 2017 & 2018.
Old 30-08-2012

with the small number of finals we have ie only an A, B, sometimes a C & if we're lucky a D then arranging the finals with only the A having 3 legs would be a nightmare.

how would you arrange it:

1) A, D, C, A, B, A

2) A, D, A, C, B, A

Only down to C Final:

1) A, C, A, B, A

Only A & B finals:

1) A, B, A, A

2) A, A, B, A

3) B, A, A, A

I just think with the lack of numbers we have a single final for everyone except the A who'd get a 3 leg final just wouldn't work. In the past there were many more racers meaning more finals making scheduling much easier & more sensible.

Our race meetings at the moment YES can be hectic if you're running both classes as if you break you have very little time to fix your car.

Starting earlier would give us more time but how about the following for the coming year:

Racing start = 9:00am
Qualifying = 4 rounds (round by round rules)
Finals = 2 legs for B - Z & 3 legs for A final

This allows for the following Final schedule:

A Final (Leg 1) then 1st leg of the rest
A Final (Leg 2) then 2nd leg of the rest
A Final (Leg 3) finish

This gives incentive to get into the A Final as you'd get 1 more race for your money

This would gain us 2 hours worth of time as starting a hour earlier & reducing the finals by a hour as only have 2 legs for the main pack.

Kenny think your right my 5.5t would definitely not last it would go into nuclear meltdown. Think the coolest my motor has came off after a 5min race is 86 DegC & hottest being 126 DegC lol

Scottish 4wd 1/10th Off Road Regional Champion 2010
Scottish 2wd 1/10th Off Road Regional Champion 2011
West Coast Open 4wd Champion 2011
West Coast Open 2wd Champion 2012

Last edited by Racing Snake; 30-08-2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Because I'm a grammatical muppet
Old 03-09-2012

cheers ill look into photobucket cheers postcode iv243dj rain rain and more rain , so not much done im just waiting fro sand then i can lay down the astro and start building jumps.
Old 03-09-2012

Default pics

right here we go
Old 03-09-2012

Default pic

yey it worked