Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 22-02-2015

Default am i backing myself in a corner.center diff vs slipper clutch

I see more and more new 1/10 4wd buggies using a center diff and most people swear by them.
as you all know i put a lot of effort to modernise both my optima mid and my lazer zx with a vts slipper.
in the last buggy race i joined in on the 8th i placed pretty well with my fixed driveline full time 4wd lwb optima mid with vts slipper on a low grip bumpy track. I an pretty sure most of my competition were using center diffs. Its impossible to have a oil filled center diff on both of these old kyoshos. What i want to know is what kind of disadvantage am i placing myself in by using my old buggies with a slipper on tracks over here.
Is it really a lot of difference or would the vts slipper be able to compete against these modern cars with center diffs.
I was just wondering if the competition will figure out the best setting for their center diffs and leave me eating a lot of dust in the next race on the 12th of april.
Old 22-02-2015

i would have thought it would all be down to your driving style and how you like your car to handle. a centre diff should work better for high grip, and solid better on lower grip surfaces. would be interesting to know what these newer cars are like without the centre diff, think there would be a few surprises. i know my electric 1/8 was much better on low grip when the centre diff siezed up while i was out messing!!
Old 23-02-2015
Spends too long on oOple ...

So far from the people i know not many use the centre diff. Tbh i race my zx against these new cars and with the vts installed the car is incedibly competitive, driving style does tend to be the main thing and not the car as you just need to be able to put in consistant lap times.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS