Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 25-07-2017

Default 2wd Buggy

Hi all,

So I want to try some track driving and have always liked the looks and the fast driving style of the 2wd buggies.

As I'm not wanting to dump too much money into it at first I want a 2wd which accepts the standard sized 2s stick-packs I already have plenty of from my other cars.
Not wanting to also have to buy saddle/shorty packs.

Got a 120A ESC and low profile servo already, only still a bit undecisive on the motor.

Kits I have looked into so far which are reasonably priced and I can get spares pretty easy for:
- Serpent SRX2 RM
- Team C TC02Evo
- Kyosho Ultima RB6
Old 25-07-2017
Mad Member

You might also want to look at a Yokomo B-Max2. In RM set up it takes stick packs and if you convert to MM set up it takes saddles or shorties. it is still a very competitive car. Spares still ok, although not as widely available as in past. 2nd hand often comes with plenty of spares

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 26-07-2017
Mad Member

Iirc the B-Max2 MR even accepts a stick pack in mid-motor configuration if you use a low-profile servo, but I could be wrong. If you want the car just for driving around a little bit, there is nothing wrong with all these kits. If you like the looks of the current 2WD buggies on the track, you should bite the bullet and buy a modern kit together with one or two shorty packs. Things have evolved a lot in the last few years. There are many viable options out there, but if you want to keep up with others, I'd not recommend any of the ones you listed, unless the RB6 includes the latest version, the RB6.6.
Old 26-07-2017
Mad Member

Firstly I'd visit your local and see whats popular and whats not, that way if you get stuck for parts, have a breakage on the day or just need some general advice about car setup, it is so much easier than if you purchase something a little less popular.

Another thing to consider is that the current range of 2wd buggies seem to be designed to accommodate a shorty LIPO pack rather than a regular sized 2s stick. So it may be worth budgeting for this, or at least considering a kit and shorty lipo as an option.

I'm not overly familiar with amp ratings on esc's, but a 7.5 is one of the more popular winds in a 2wd. While we tend to recommend something a little slower like a 9.5 or 10.5 for new comers or people with little rc experience at our local club. The size track will also help determine what motor wind to go for, so again ask club members at your local track what they use.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!
Old 27-07-2017

Thanks for the tips so far guys!

For the Kyosho it was the RB6.6 yes, but Kyosho is harder to find than I thought, kits are available but parts have to be ordered with an unknown delivery time.

The track I want to run at is mostly Durango and Serpent for what I have seen so far, but LHS told me Durango is no more.
On another track I want to run occasionally it is mostly X-Ray.

I will also get shorty packs if necessary

For me it's not really for keeping up with others or winning races, but to improve my driving and learn more on the setup of a buggy instead of only bashing.
Might participate in some club races for fun when I have improved some, but nothing too serious

A few people on other sites recommended me a TLR 22 4.0, but haven't seen a single one on the track, and as far as I know I can only get it through one shop in the entire country (Horizon Hobby policy...)
Old 27-07-2017
Mad Member

The best way to improve your rc skills is to join in at a race meeting. You can do all the testing and practice you like, but it's not the same as being on track with 10 other cars.

The 22 4.0 is fairly popular in the UK and has good shop backup. I bought one this year and it's proved strong and reliable so far. Parts are also available from a good selection of RC shops in the UK - I use DMS Racing as they carry good stock and have a fantastic mail order service.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!
Old 27-07-2017
Mad Member

I was on the fence between the Schumacher Cougar KC, Yokomo YZ-2 CA, and the TLR 22 4.0. In the end, I decided to buy my second YZ-2 in a row because of my positive experience with the previous model, unparalleled parts support for me (regular visitor to Arena33) and as an occasional EOS racer, the possibility to run pre-glued Schumacher tyres, which the TLR unfortunately does not offer. I had the chance to run the 4.0 before and together with its owner dial it in on the track of Panik Team Troisdorf, and I really like its quality and handling. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a new kit. Kyosho and Serpent seem to be pretty much dead in my region due to various reasons. Xray offer quality items that come at a price. Their 4WD IMHO currently is the best on the market, their 2WD is about on the same level as most of the others out there. For my personal top 3 shortlist, see the first line.