Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 19-09-2016

Default charging transmitter lipo

hi all
Over the weekend i picked up a ko radio that is running a lipo, but i'm having trouble finding the right plug to use to charge it.
This is the battery
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...dproduct=83321

And this is how it is set up

20160919_200539 by matt barton, on Flickr

And this is the plug i am having trouble with.

20160919_195430 by matt barton, on Flickr

Part of me has been tempted to cut that plug off and replace it with a dean connector.
Tar for any help
Old 19-09-2016
Mad Member

Presumably the red/black is your standard +/- and plugs into the transmitter. You can't cut this off as it corresponds with transmitter? You will need to connect to red/black on charger - either get a female connector to match the connector already fitted or cut the red /black (don't snip both leads together as you will short the battery) and insert a deans connector. Female on battery side and male on connector side. That way you could use male deans on your charger and connect that way. Leave the White connector plugged into Tx and just unplug at deans.

The plug with 4 leads is your balance lead and will go into the 3cell port of a balance board?

That said, I am not an expert and have not used a 3cell Tx battery. Mine is 2 cell and works as above, but my red/black goes into a servo type connector. I presume there isn't much difference

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 19-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlandchris View Post
Presumably the red/black is your standard +/- and plugs into the transmitter. You can't cut this off as it corresponds with transmitter? You will need to connect to red/black on charger - either get a female connector to match the connector already fitted or cut the red /black (don't snip both leads together as you will short the battery) and insert a deans connector. Female on battery side and male on connector side. That way you could use male deans on your charger and connect that way. Leave the White connector plugged into Tx and just unplug at deans.

The plug with 4 leads is your balance lead and will go into the 3cell port of a balance board?

That said, I am not an expert and have not used a 3cell Tx battery. Mine is 2 cell and works as above, but my red/black goes into a servo type connector. I presume there isn't much difference
My one has the futaba like plug going into the transmitter, You can just about see the extra red and black leads on the bottom left of the pic. this then goes into the 3 pin plug on the handset. This plug is for charging only i think.
Old 20-09-2016
Mad Member

hi matt
check carefully the lead as it goes into the handset itself ,check the position of red and black wires especially ,On earlier ko sets the red (positive wire) was n not in the "middle" of the plug and i blew a set up by plugging in wrong way round by accident

normally a futaba receiver type plug is fitted to battery and will fit it sounds a bit like you already have an adaptor lead between handset and battery

can you show us another picture

regards dave
Old 20-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidspeed View Post
hi matt
check carefully the lead as it goes into the handset itself ,check the position of red and black wires especially ,On earlier ko sets the red (positive wire) was n not in the "middle" of the plug and i blew a set up by plugging in wrong way round by accident

normally a futaba receiver type plug is fitted to battery and will fit it sounds a bit like you already have an adaptor lead between handset and battery

can you show us another picture

regards dave
I'll get a few more pics up after work tonight. The transmitter is working fine it's just that I don't know what that plug is called to buy a female and male a charging lead up.
Old 20-09-2016
Mad Member

plug the 4 wire plug into your balance port and get a futaba female to 4mm bullet lead to charge it,

see pic of lead needed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg futaba to 4mm lead.jpg (75.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 20-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondoolaa View Post
plug the 4 wire plug into your balance port and get a futaba female to 4mm bullet lead to charge it,

see pic of lead needed
I can't get to the futaba plug as it has been placed to one side to line up with the 3 pins on the transmitter. The only plug I can get to is the one pictured.
Old 20-09-2016
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

unplug it from the transmitter then use the plug that's plugged into the transmitter as a charge lead, use the other as a balance lead (block with yellow wire)
Old 20-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
unplug it from the transmitter then use the plug that's plugged into the transmitter as a charge lead, use the other as a balance lead (block with yellow wire)
It looks like it's been set in there with something. I'm thinking of going the route of changing the white plug to a dean's conector.
Old 20-09-2016
Mad Member

Thats a JST-EHR connector, used as the battery connector in Spektrum radios. Easier to make an adapter lead.
http://www.componentshop.co.uk/leads...s/jst-ehr-lead
Old 20-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
Thats a JST-EHR connector, used as the battery connector in Spektrum radios. Easier to make an adapter lead.
http://www.componentshop.co.uk/leads...s/jst-ehr-lead
Thank you, just what I needed.