Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 27-04-2011

Default Which speedo and motor for touring car?

Hi guys,

Back racing after a 5 year break........how things have changed!!!

I've still got my original schulze brushless from 2004 and hacker motor, both seem to have aged pretty well and are fine for club level racing. However, as I'm sure you're aware, the are getting a bit old hat for bigger meetings and are also not recognised by brca.

I've always run modified class, but since I've returned I've noticed how popular the stock class has now got (13.5t?). So I'm now considering switching classes, but also want the option to run modified if needed.

So the question I ask is (and yes I'm expecting varying answers), but what speedo and motor(s) would be a good choice? Not massively concerned about the budget but want value for money.

Have heard good things about the ezrun and orca systems?

Thanks

Mark
Old 27-04-2011

tekin rs or pro with a x12 13.5
Old 27-04-2011

Just returned in the last few months from a 7 year break myself!
You will find divided opinion between esc's, I ended up with tekin rs with an LRP vector x12.
I also just got myself a gm genius 90, these seem to be as good as the tekin but not as easy to setup etc...
Both these really need a laptop trackside to get the best out of them.

Good luck
Old 28-04-2011

Welcome back. Much has changed.

(Some) Modern ESCs can now use their computing power to change the timing of the motor on the fly. There are a number of ways of doing this, and the techniques used are given different names by the manufacturers.
The GM ESCs can do everything, have a reputation for speed, but also for complexity.
TekinRS and RS-Pro are fast, mostly reliable, and easy to understand and set up. The support is second to none, with Tekin staff regularly reading and posting on racer forums. For 13.5, you don't need the Pro version. Depending on how low a turn you specify, you may need the pro version for Mod.
Speed Passion is Schumacher distributed in the UK, and are similar in speed and setup ease to the Tekin.
The Joker in the Pack are the XEruns. These are manufactured by the same company, Hobbtwing, who make the speed passion range. They are effectively the same product at half the price. As easy as the Tekin to set up, they get my vote. I bought an XErun Xtreme Stock as a backup in case my Tekin failed, and now I am using it in preference.

You do need a computer to set all of these ESCs up to be their best, but they all (i think), have a option to create one or more "default profiles", which can be selected on the ESC buttons at the track.
In any case, my experience is that once you have set up the ESC for the motor characteristics, and your driving style, the changes required to optimise from track to track are minimal, (but still important for that last 2 10ths off the lap time), and can be driven around if need be.
e.g., It's important not to have the full boost advance kicking in on any corner exit. This will just spin the car off the track. If you can't tune it out with the computer, you may need to back off the throttle fractionally when driving, to ease off the boost on that corner. That costs you a 10th of a second.

Motors.
A 13.5 with one of these new breed of timing advance ESCs is faster than Mod used to be 5 years ago. You may find that you don't need anything faster once you have tried it.
I used to think that with brushless, all motors would be more or less equal. After all, what can be changed?
However, after recently moving from an LRP X11 to an LRP X12, I have to say that the newer motor does produce more absolute power than the older one, (once you have got the gear ratio right).
Motors which should be on your shopping list as "latest generation" are the LRP X12, (same as the Nosram Pure range), Speed Passion V3, and the Novak Ballistic. All have a slightly different "feel".

I could probably add more, but this will be enough to get you started.
Old 28-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbridd View Post
Welcome back. Much has changed.

(Some) Modern ESCs can now use their computing power to change the timing of the motor on the fly. There are a number of ways of doing this, and the techniques used are given different names by the manufacturers.
The GM ESCs can do everything, have a reputation for speed, but also for complexity.
TekinRS and RS-Pro are fast, mostly reliable, and easy to understand and set up. The support is second to none, with Tekin staff regularly reading and posting on racer forums. For 13.5, you don't need the Pro version. Depending on how low a turn you specify, you may need the pro version for Mod.
Speed Passion is Schumacher distributed in the UK, and are similar in speed and setup ease to the Tekin.
The Joker in the Pack are the XEruns. These are manufactured by the same company, Hobbtwing, who make the speed passion range. They are effectively the same product at half the price. As easy as the Tekin to set up, they get my vote. I bought an XErun Xtreme Stock as a backup in case my Tekin failed, and now I am using it in preference.

You do need a computer to set all of these ESCs up to be their best, but they all (i think), have a option to create one or more "default profiles", which can be selected on the ESC buttons at the track.
In any case, my experience is that once you have set up the ESC for the motor characteristics, and your driving style, the changes required to optimise from track to track are minimal, (but still important for that last 2 10ths off the lap time), and can be driven around if need be.
e.g., It's important not to have the full boost advance kicking in on any corner exit. This will just spin the car off the track. If you can't tune it out with the computer, you may need to back off the throttle fractionally when driving, to ease off the boost on that corner. That costs you a 10th of a second.

Motors.
A 13.5 with one of these new breed of timing advance ESCs is faster than Mod used to be 5 years ago. You may find that you don't need anything faster once you have tried it.
I used to think that with brushless, all motors would be more or less equal. After all, what can be changed?
However, after recently moving from an LRP X11 to an LRP X12, I have to say that the newer motor does produce more absolute power than the older one, (once you have got the gear ratio right).
Motors which should be on your shopping list as "latest generation" are the LRP X12, (same as the Nosram Pure range), Speed Passion V3, and the Novak Ballistic. All have a slightly different "feel".

I could probably add more, but this will be enough to get you started.
Cheers mate, thats helped a lot!!

I was actually pretty set on getting the Xerun 120, then I came across the Xtreme and wondered if it would suit my needs......would seem to me after reading your thread that it would!!

How are you getting on with it? Would you be able to give some advice on setting up once I get one (when I finally do!!)

Thanks again mate,

Mark
Old 28-04-2011

Xtreme stock is a good little speedo cheapest i found was at RC COD

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/xtreme-stock-p-405301.html
Old 28-04-2011

Just ordered one, for that price its got to be worth a try..........
Old 29-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb3195 View Post
Cheers mate, thats helped a lot!!

I was actually pretty set on getting the Xerun 120, then I came across the Xtreme and wondered if it would suit my needs......would seem to me after reading your thread that it would!!

How are you getting on with it? Would you be able to give some advice on setting up once I get one (when I finally do!!)

Thanks again mate,

Mark
The Xerun Xtreme Stock ?
Loving it.

There is a wealth of info on the 'net at the other end of a google search, but I'd be happy to help if I can.
Old 29-04-2011

Default speedo

Hey mate,
I would go for speed passion/Xerun. Range. I have just switched from speed passion gt 2 this after running this for about year an half as this was my first brussless and never let me down. Just got tekin rs pro only cos space is limited in my losi 22. On the motor side I run novak ballistic. But been looking at the new LRP X12 (octa wind)

Good luck mate
Old 01-05-2011

Default HW

To make life simple order the 2 in 1 program box as well.You will not regret your discussion with the hobby wing.Have a look here for set up tips.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ings-only.html.
Old 02-05-2011

Tekin RS and LRP X12 13.5 works well (after some setup time on the Tekin!) But your choice is good maybe try one next time round!

Happy racing!