Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

Old 23-02-2015

Default asking for advice

Hi
I am thinking about returning to buggy racing after 20 plus year layoff and hopefully getting my son interested in racing. As bury is my local track to me i am wondering if these cars will be ok for the track. I am thinking 2wd and like the look of the schumacher kf2 and kyosho rb6 i know both cars are well above my driving level but dont want to buy a cheaper car then either have to upgrade it alot or buy a new car i would like to buy once and be able to learn with the car. I am open to other cars even 4wd but these two caught my eye.
Old 23-02-2015

Hi Mate,

I ran the Kyosho RB6 for a season and its a great all round chassis capable in both high and low grip. That said the trend over the last 18 months or so has gone toward the more high grip specific chassis' such as the Schumacher KF2 you mentioned. Cars such as the the KF2 have the motor further forwad in the chassis making for a more balanced car with more on power steering which suits the high grip surfaces we race on. This is obviously a trade off though as the high grip cars are, as it says in the title High Grip car's so when the grip level is lower they are trickier to drive than a conventional mid motor car such as the RB6.
I did enjoy the RB6 it was a superb car, fast, reliable and VERY robust however the forward motor revolution came about and saw most people and manufacturers begin to favour the forward motored designs.

The RB6 would not let you down but if I was you i would go and llook for a second hand model as they are still very expensive to buy new.
I have just bought a KF2 as the original KF has been the car to beat over the last few years but i'm yet to run it. Also worth considering is the Team C TM2v2, its forward motored like the KF2 but requires far less hop ups to make competitive. I ran the TM2v2 all last year and was superb. The TM2v2 is probably the most popular car at Bury too as we have a few Team drivers (inc myself until recently) so there is plenty of support and parts backup available.

Chris
Old 23-02-2015

Hi
Thanks for the advice i will look into the team c cars and see what i like best so much has changed with the buggy scene since i last ran one. I know about lipos and brushless to a point but the last buggy i ran was optima mid custom special so a long time ago ive got spektrum radio gear and savox sevos that are coming out of my savage just got to check they work as that last ran about 3 years ago.
thanks again for the advice richard.
Old 23-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Elworthy View Post
Hi Mate,

I ran the Kyosho RB6 for a season and its a great all round chassis capable in both high and low grip. That said the trend over the last 18 months or so has gone toward the more high grip specific chassis' such as the Schumacher KF2 you mentioned. Cars such as the the KF2 have the motor further forwad in the chassis making for a more balanced car with more on power steering which suits the high grip surfaces we race on. This is obviously a trade off though as the high grip cars are, as it says in the title High Grip car's so when the grip level is lower they are trickier to drive than a conventional mid motor car such as the RB6.
I did enjoy the RB6 it was a superb car, fast, reliable and VERY robust however the forward motor revolution came about and saw most people and manufacturers begin to favour the forward motored designs.

The RB6 would not let you down but if I was you i would go and llook for a second hand model as they are still very expensive to buy new.
I have just bought a KF2 as the original KF has been the car to beat over the last few years but i'm yet to run it. Also worth considering is the Team C TM2v2, its forward motored like the KF2 but requires far less hop ups to make competitive. I ran the TM2v2 all last year and was superb. The TM2v2 is probably the most popular car at Bury too as we have a few Team drivers (inc myself until recently) so there is plenty of support and parts backup available.

Chris
So how does having the motor further forward make it better in high grip, is it just the weight? If you had a mid motor car could you not just add more weight further forward to simulate this or is there more to it then that?
Old 23-02-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
So how does having the motor further forward make it better in high grip, is it just the weight? If you had a mid motor car could you not just add more weight further forward to simulate this or is there more to it then that?
The centre of gravity is further forward, if you just add weight to a mid motor car all you'd do is create a pendulum effect (basically the car will grip so far and then the car will swing around about that added weight) which is unpredictable.
G Paint
Answer RC