Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 22-08-2017

Default Budget off-road for £150-£200

As the title says really, looking for the best budget 1/10th RC model?

I spent a lot of money in the past on all the gear, but never really got time to get into it and ended up selling it all. As a result I don't want to make the same mistake again so I'm trying to keep the costs down.

It's mainly going to be used to bash about and attend some local races, just to see if I get into it, if I do then I'll get something a little better and pass the budget model down to my 4 year old son.

What I've come across so far are things like the Maverick Strada XB Brushless, FTX Vantage Brushless, and one I've found recently that I seem to like is a Team C TR02 V2 RTR, this one provides upgrade options if I wanted to keep it longer, but I'm unsure about parts availability as it seems not many people sell this make/model.

I'm not expecting to really compete with the big guys, just attend a few races, have some fun, hopefully get the hang of it and upgrade/move onto better if I need to.

Some links:

Team C TR02 V2 RTR - https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/247800/
Maverick Strava XB - https://www.modelsport.co.uk/maveric...roducts/408632
FTX Vantage - https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-van...products/40388

Any advice would be appreciated, are either of these more robust than the other? Maverick and FTX seem easy to get parts for.
Old 22-08-2017

I would keep an eye on eBay, if you go 2wd then I'd look at something like a Schumacher cougar kf2 2nd hand you can pick one up for about £100 with hop ups and spares are easy to come by can be run low or high grip, then will have to add electrics, but if you don't enjoy racing it will hold its price if you sell on, great car just that the kc and kd are the new model so prices have dropped on the kf2, for 4wd I would avoid the strada and vantage not very robust for racing. where are you planning to race? I'd go to the club and see how popular 4wd is and if anyone has any used kit for sale, would be handy to know what others are running so you can get help with set up and spares if needed as you build up your own toolbox, good luck!!!
Schumacher Cat K2
Schumacher KF2
Tamiya DF03 Dark Impact
Tamiya TB04
Vintage Tamiya TL01 Baja Champ
Vintage Tamiya Striker
Old 22-08-2017
Mad Member

Another vote for 2nd hand, but also, the team c is pretty good, although I think the tr02 is rear motored so isn't great on current higher grip type tracks.

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 23-08-2017

I have a very little use Ansman mad monkey, which I think is a team C TC02C in all but name. It's mid mounted motor, has some spares etc. No electrics included. Looking for £55 posted which I think is s bargain. PM me if interested, let me know your e-mail and I'll send some pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBinarySheep View Post
As the title says really, looking for the best budget 1/10th RC model?

I spent a lot of money in the past on all the gear, but never really got time to get into it and ended up selling it all. As a result I don't want to make the same mistake again so I'm trying to keep the costs down.

It's mainly going to be used to bash about and attend some local races, just to see if I get into it, if I do then I'll get something a little better and pass the budget model down to my 4 year old son.

What I've come across so far are things like the Maverick Strada XB Brushless, FTX Vantage Brushless, and one I've found recently that I seem to like is a Team C TR02 V2 RTR, this one provides upgrade options if I wanted to keep it longer, but I'm unsure about parts availability as it seems not many people sell this make/model.

I'm not expecting to really compete with the big guys, just attend a few races, have some fun, hopefully get the hang of it and upgrade/move onto better if I need to.

Some links:

Team C TR02 V2 RTR - https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/247800/
Maverick Strava XB - https://www.modelsport.co.uk/maveric...roducts/408632
FTX Vantage - https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-van...products/40388

Any advice would be appreciated, are either of these more robust than the other? Maverick and FTX seem easy to get parts for.
Old 23-08-2017
Mad Member

Visit your local club see what is popular and what you can still buy spares for easily

the big names still come out on top schumacher losi yokomo kyosho and associated lesser known brands are by no means poor but by definition less are sold so less spares are available

Think carefully what you want before parting with hard earned cash
dave
Old 23-08-2017

the floor has fallen out of the price of used KF2s, which is bonkers, because they're still an awesome car - especially on high grip astro or carpet.
Old 23-08-2017

I'll keep my eyes open for a KF, doesn't appear to be any for sale at the minute.
Old 23-08-2017

There's one on here for 125 still showing as for sale, do a search for member tyreman or type schumacher cougar kf2 if still for sale may do a deal
Schumacher Cat K2
Schumacher KF2
Tamiya DF03 Dark Impact
Tamiya TB04
Vintage Tamiya TL01 Baja Champ
Vintage Tamiya Striker
Old 23-08-2017

My KF2se will be going up for sale this week with a new clear body. Are you after a roller if you have electronics or are you needing servo, speed controller e.t.c
You can get good 120a brush-less speed controller for about £15 so could easy make it nearly ready to go if needed.
Old 23-08-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev B View Post
My KF2se will be going up for sale this week with a new clear body. Are you after a roller if you have electronics or are you needing servo, speed controller e.t.c
You can get good 120a brush-less speed controller for about £15 so could easy make it nearly ready to go if needed.
At the minute I have absolutely nothing. I sold everything I had about 5 or so year ago. Feel free to PM me with what you've got/what I'll need.
Old 23-08-2017

I'd also go second hand and ask about how much use it's had and maybe factor in shock/ diff/ slipper servicing.

I picked up an unused car from the classifieds on Ooople for peanuts and then bought new brushless electrics (fairly cheap these days), LiPos etc.

It may not be the most competitive thing (especially in these hands) but it is certainly 'good enough' to race and much higher spec than a plastic RTR car.

Schumacher KF2s and anything Team C seems to be good value in the Oople classifieds.
Associated RC12R5.1
Old 23-08-2017
Mad Member

Can't fault the KF2 for what you can pick them up for. Still shares a lot of parts with Schumacher's most recent car, electrics are more affordable now than ever so I think you could have yourself a half decent set-up for the money.

Mendip R/C Raceway - Offroad Racing in South-West
WORM-Racing - GT12 Racing in the South-West
Old 23-08-2017

I've started again recently and picked up a used Team C TM2 v2 for £100, decent radio (Absima CR4T) for £65, Absima Electrics (ESC, motor, servo) for £100 and Lipos for £30. The only thing I bought new was a Charger.

All in all, up and running from nothing for <£400. I've spent more since, but for the basics and reasonable quality gear, you should be able to get going for between £300 and £400. That'll last a while and will be much better that RTR.

Definite value in going to your local club first and see who's running what. I did, and at the time there were quite a few running Team C, which swayed my decision at the start of the year......subsequently, they've all defected to other brands now.....ho hum....