Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 28-10-2016

Default ESCs Cheap vs Expensive

I've seen a lot of drivers swear by more expensive ESCs over "cheaper" options, I say "cheaper" because they are still a lot of money, but not as much as say £200.

The ESC I run at the moment is a Sky RC Toro 120a, I was curious to know if there is a difference between something like that and the Team Orion Vortex ESCs which seem to be around £180+

I guess for me it the question would be, does the more expensive ESC make the car handle better and/or easier to drive in any way? personally, I think the answer will probably be no, but was curious to know if investing in a higher end ESC is actually worth the money.

Thanks
Old 28-10-2016
Legendary dude

I run Toro Esc and swear by them. Have used LRP flows and found no performance difference.

Elite R/C racing
Optipower
Old 28-10-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I've got 6 Skyrc Toro 120's, had 8, killed 2, and a new hobbywing XR10 pro.

The Toro's are great, barring some QC issues that were popping new ones some months ago (I didn't experience this, but know of a few who did).
One toro I reverse connected, the second failure was after over a year of running in 4wd, and I exceeded its component tolerances, running a hot (5.0T, ESC has a 5.5T limit) motor on a very sunny day on longish grass, and it blew in my regional final as I was moving up the field. Yup it let me down, but I had my moneys worth up to that point.

You'll be surprised at how many other "premium" esc brands are based on the same platform at the skyrc toro, basically from the same OEM factory in China. Similarly you can buy cheap hobbyking speedo's that have been proven to be the "same" as orions, for a fraction of the price, yet people still buy the orions, and their warranty process has proven terrible for some, I've heard. Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRMoj1WDyEs

I replaced that failed ESC in my 4wd with a hobbywing XR10 pro, which should be good for the hotter motor, and has a "better" (than none with a toro bought from China) warranty through MB models and Hobbywing. It's performed excellently so far, but I could have bought three toro's for the same money. Whats the better value here? I do know that if i break it, I can send it back to hobbywing for repair, but is that worth 3x the cost of one I was very happy with? Basically I paid more so the chance of it failing again in a regional final was reduced somewhat, and if it did fail, I know i can get it fixed. That's also good value, if you can afford the much higher asking price.

In terms of feel, well, its subjective. The hobbywing is meant to be newer, more advanced and better performing, but I've pretty much got it feeling the same as the Toro did, which I was always able to get them set how I liked.

Most badly setup speedo's I've encountered at club meetings are user setup error in either the ESC settings, calibration or transmitter setup. Once setup right, they all work well.

Buy what you can afford, not what you think the brand will give you, and spend the money saved on tyres.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 28-10-2016

thanks for the replies, another thing I have also been looking into is Motor, I run a 6.5T motor on a tight indoor track, i've recently purchased an 8.5T as I am starting to think 6.5T is too much on such a small indoor track (WBMCC). But the same applies here, I hear people say that X brand of motor is "smoother" than Y brand
Old 28-10-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwaa View Post
thanks for the replies, another thing I have also been looking into is Motor, I run a 6.5T motor on a tight indoor track, i've recently purchased an 8.5T as I am starting to think 6.5T is too much on such a small indoor track (WBMCC). But the same applies here, I hear people say that X brand of motor is "smoother" than Y brand
But you can change how a motor feels by ESC settings, so maybe what they perceive as a motor being smooth is actually the speed controller.

I have had one brand of motor that was like an on/off switch being applied and got really very hot, so it was moved on at quite a loss to me very quickly. (edit: so i guess that confirms the statement you made above about brand x being smoother than brand y, however, i do think its mostly speed controller setup). I think motors matter when you are blinky stock racing in TC or 12th, and that then becomes a money game of buying the most expensive and of changing them often so performance doesnt drop off. It's far less critical in buggies as you can make a slower/higher wind motor really quick with lots of boost and turbo setup on ESC, and change how it feels with punch, current limits and breaks.

Mostly you can tune the feel or any motor with ESC settings. You can be over motored for a track. Certainly smaller and less grippy tracks can benefit from a much tamer, higher wind motor. An 8.5 certainly sounds more sensible if the track is small and tight.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by neallewis; 28-10-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 28-10-2016

im sure the top drivers might notice a difference but the rest of us may not....

personally i use a vampire sr1+ in 4wd and in all other cars i use hobbykings turnigy trackstar turbo 120amp that Neal linked to the video review.

cant fault any so far and personally would recommend the cheap one - if unsure just buy two and still have change in your pocket.

if its a tight track go for slower motor, will be much easier to drive - can also add turbo/boost if needed later
Old 28-10-2016

I tend to go down the cheaper end of the market, especially these days with easy import from China etc.

I got a new 4WD at the beginning on the year, I didnt want to spend a lot on it to be honest so I ended up getting a 120amp ESC from eBay for £13.50 delivered. I heard it could be flashed with Hobbywing software etc, so I took the risk.

Plugged it straight into the HW programme box and flashed the MOD software, chucked it in my 4WD with a 6.5t HPI motor that I was given (no boost or turbo but still quick enough!) and its ran perfectly all season. Even survived a heat without a fan on a very hot summers day.

Maybe I was lucky, maybe not but it performs exactly the same as my proper HW v2.1, just £60 cheaper. I've now bought another as a spare.
Old 28-10-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaMight View Post
Maybe I was lucky, maybe not but it performs exactly the same as my proper HW v2.1, just £60 cheaper. I've now bought another as a spare.
That's the key thing with the cheaper stuff, have some spares in your box ready to go, as you can afford to. I kept buying toro's for every car and spares, so have quite a few. I did buy one from the UK skyrc channel via my local shop, and it was identical to the ones from China. A lot of stuff from china now isn't so cheap due to £/$ rates however.

Those HW v2.1/SP v2.1 clones are cheap as chips and work great with the HW software on. I've upgraded a few for people.
Old 28-10-2016

+1 for Neal's SKYrc recommendation. I got a black alloy case one.

I love mine, and the PC software works well too!
Old 29-10-2016

I bought a couple of Speed Passion Rev 1.1 about 4 years ago. Installed the latest software on them. Never had any problems with them but always had the feeling that the Rev was not smooth enough for me. Tried different setups and once tried to update the software to stock1 but ended up with a malfunctioning esc... I could only change the dragbrake after that
I bought the Rc concept a few months ago and couldn't be happier. Maybe it's the newer software because latest software update from SP is from 2014...
Price wise they are about the same but I will never go back to SP
Old 29-10-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikke hond View Post
I bought a couple of Speed Passion Rev 1.1 about 4 years ago. Installed the latest software on them. Never had any problems with them but always had the feeling that the Rev was not smooth enough for me. Tried different setups and once tried to update the software to stock1 but ended up with a malfunctioning esc... I could only change the dragbrake after that
I bought the Rc concept a few months ago and couldn't be happier. Maybe it's the newer software because latest software update from SP is from 2014...
Price wise they are about the same but I will never go back to SP
4 years is a long time in terms of development in electronics and software.
Did you try re-flashing it? You can put the correct hobbywing software on the old SP esc's, where the models are similar.

The RC concept ESC's are a much later generation, and do perform excellently.
Old 29-10-2016

After a long break I've just got back onto racing and I went for a track star gen2. The last speedo I had was a lrp sphere comp 2007 and looking forward to Sunday for its first run. Really like the program box over counting the flashes of the lrp.
Old 29-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
4 years is a long time in terms of development in electronics and software.
Did you try re-flashing it? You can put the correct hobbywing software on the old SP esc's, where the models are similar.

The RC concept ESC's are a much later generation, and do perform excellently.
I'm not aware that you can re-flash a SP Rev 1.1 with HW software. I know it's possible with MuchMore software. Didn't tried it though.
I don't know how old the software is from RCC but I bet it's younger then the latest update from SP (2014)
Old 29-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
After a long break I've just got back onto racing and I went for a track star gen2. The last speedo I had was a lrp sphere comp 2007 and looking forward to Sunday for its first run. Really like the program box over counting the flashes of the lrp.
+1 for the trackstar gen ii's. I have 6 of these on various motors, 2wd and 4wd from 5.5t down to 17.5t for me and my boy. In 2 years no failures, no problems or blips. Programmer works great, temps are well controlled etc.. etc..

I know some people don't like Hobbyking (taking trade from local boys and stuff) but money talks and I haven't got a bottomless pit to draw on.
Old 30-10-2016

I noticed a night and day difference when I switched from SP Reventon pro 1.1EX's in all my buggies to the Absima CTS10. So much smoother, and much better options through the program box also.
Old 30-10-2016

I've tried both cheap and expensive ESCs over the last few years but keep going back to the 120a track star gen2. It runs cooler than any other ESC I've tried and has plenty of options to adjust power delivery
Old 30-10-2016
Mad Member

I've got a toro 150A and a Tekin RX8. With hindsight i'd not have bothered upgrading to the Tekin.
The Toro does everything the Tekin will do, and more. For much less money.

On the plus side, i only paid about 50 quid for the tekin. "Second hand"

It was still in the box......
Old 31-10-2016

I notice between cheap esc and motor is smoothness. and cheaper esc may not last as long as expenisve ESC.

I switched from speed passion(what a POS) to dual sky esc, night n day difference was noticed on smoothness.

I tried those cheap 120A esc. its great! but it wouldnt fit in my old buggy. mmm
Old 04-11-2016

Has anyone some experience of the HobbyKing X-Car Beast Series ESC 1:10 Scale PRO 120A?

Liking the look of the Toro 160A as well as the Toro 120A, but not sure if the extra is worth it?

Duncan Pole
www.glasgowrc.com

ae B6.2 & B6.2D
ae RC10 Team Car (original black tub version)
Sanwa - Reedy - Savox - Hobbywing - Centro - THR

If I have any stuff for sale you will find it here:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/duncanglas...1&_ipg=&_from=
Old 04-11-2016

Default Esc

I have run the beast series esc and it is very good as long has u can get the program box has u cannot change settings without it