Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 02-10-2011

Default sticks to wheel

Been a stick man for years but coming back after a time out and fanc
y trying a wheel set is there much people made the change and did u stick with it.

Also any tips on changing am gonna buy a wheel set so I have no choice but try instead of giving up after 1 heat lol

Any info much appreciated as I think the wheel is the way forward.

If u can't beat them join them
Old 02-10-2011
Mad Member

When I came back into the hobby a while ago now I bought a cheap stick set, it was okay but I always had problems braking properly, got a wheel one and found it much easier so went with that.

Later on tried sticks again, borrowed a mates set who had a really nice one, can't remember what it was but the sticks on it were really stumpy, much easier to use than my cheap one with huge plastic sticks that you couldn't change, he said he'd bought the sticks as an accessory, at the time I didn't even know you could do that.

Anyway, just getting back into the hobby again and have opted for wheel as the right set came up at the right price.

Maybe you should visit your local club where you'll be racing and see if you can chat to someone and also hold their radio to see what feels better for you ?

My paintwork thread
Old 02-10-2011

i had 20 or so years out started again in july, i tried the wheel [ansmann w5 2.4] very good for the price But i have now gone back to sticks [pulse 2.4 digi ] feels so much better,
Old 02-10-2011
Mad Member

i can use both but prefer sticks.

my 1 and only problem with wheel is emergency braking for some reason i land up pulling on the throttle rather then pushing it.i supose if i spent more time using a wheel tx id get used to it but for racing i just stick to sticks.

also with sticks i do prefer them to be short so your not having to reach your fingers to go round corners
Old 02-10-2011
Super Moderator

1 day someone will bring out a playstation controller that is 2.4ghz & i will be sorted
On a personal note i prefer sticks for racing but use a wheel with my monster truck as that's what came with it, it's ok but only a cheap 1, it's the braking i struggle with, like ch!ef i am also frequently accelerating when i should be braking
Old 02-10-2011

Or maybe a computer keybord with just the four arrows. I excel on Dirt 3 with that, why shouldn't i in rc?
Old 03-10-2011

I'd stay with what you're used to. Don't think I've ever seen anyone change successfully from one to another if they've been using one type for several years.
Old 03-10-2011
Mad Member

I guess the other thing to ask yourself is - how much do you need the radio to do, are some functions only available on one type of set in your budget, if so you probably need to get that.

My paintwork thread
Old 03-10-2011

Just a basic set would do end points etc nothin to fancy seems to be mixed opinions not sure what to do now

Old 03-10-2011

I had to change from sticks to wheel about 6 years ago as I was struggling with my fingers. I bought myself a cheapy wheel, an entry level Futaba 40meg am at the time, and was instantly better in my driving. Going from full lock left to full lock right is a lot more fluid a motion, where as doing that with sticks felt like 2 movements, 1 going up hill to go 2 downhill. Braking is easier too, but does take a while to get used to. Having said that, I have "borrowed" someones stubby stick controller when they had problems with their car, and I was trying to help set it up, and it was easier to use, but take into account that my driving was also much improved.

Like anything, you need to make adjustments, but either borrow or buy an entry level ontroller before spending out on something better (but check the feel of the wheel and it's travel, this is a major issue for me).

My current wheel is a KO Helios EX-10 which I've had for about 6 years now, and spent what I considered a small fortune at the time for it, but it's a more reasonable price now (or the equivalent at least). I'm aving to send it off to get fixed, so have gotten a "cheap" replacement in the meantime, which is a Hong-nor cheapy that was on offer. Apart from the sterring range being a lot less than my KO, and the feel of the wheel making me go "ugh", it's not a bad little radio. It's doesn't have any memory options, but as a stand in, it'll do me for a while
Old 04-10-2011

I've just bought my very first cheapie touring car with a wheel on the basis that, never having felt particularly comfortable or been particularly good with an XBox/PS2 controller, I can't see why I'd be any better with sticks. I haven't had it very long and haven't had the chance to use it as much as I'd like but it feels pretty natural. I'm a newbie with absolutely no experience so may not be qualified to comment but, having been down to my local club a few times (where sticks rule), and listened to the cars as they whiz around it seems to me that a smoother, more integrated use of the steering/throttle must surely be achievable with a wheel.

I suppose that, already having ingrained stick habits, the learning curve for a wheel may be steeper than for an absolute beginner but I'd go with your instinct and give a wheel a good try.

It's also just occurred to me to ask if the type of racing you intend to do should influence your choice? Would anyone care to comment on whether one or other type of transmitter is better for on or off road running or a particular class of vehicle?
Old 04-10-2011

some good points mate

I will be racing a tamiya 502x so 4wd 1/10 buggy

Old 04-10-2011
Mad Member

I use both, but prefer sticks as it feels more precise, especially when braking. I always use sticks for TC racing as its about precision, but offroad I am happy to use a wheel as it's obviously not as exact. Although if there are lots of jumps I still prefer to use sticks for the throttle control.

It is all down to preference though. When I started out wheels controllers were not available. Nowadays beginners have a choice, plus wheel controllers are higher spec for less money than sticks.
Old 04-10-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

i can't even get around a lap with a wheel!
As someone else said, i think once you have had years experience on one you will just never feel "natural" on the other. those instinct reactions that you don;t even think about you just can't pull off on a wheel as your fingers just don't know where to go.

the Core Code has all the features you could want for only £80. If price is an issue. Wheels can be better spec for the same/less money compared to sticks, especially when you get to the top end for Sticks, £300+.

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 04-10-2011

I have used both recently and would say the wheel is more intuitive for steering, but braking can be a BIG issue. Its fine for the premeditated braking, such as at the end of the long straight. But I (and many others) find that under emergency or unplanned situations the brain doesnt calculate pushing the trigger away. On the contrary, it has been known for me to squeeze the trigger in error and then be heard swearing profusely....
Old 04-10-2011

Now take what I say with a pinch of salt, cos im not what you call a particularly good driver.
I came back to rc racing about 3 years ago. Raced when i was a kid, but had plenty of bashers over the years.
I started back with sticks, a Futaba 3GR. But at the beginning of this summer season i decided to change to wheel, for lots of reasons, but probably mainly cos i thought the futaba 4pk looked cool.
Have to say the first couple of laps were awful, but got the hang of it quick enough. I would say that after a month or so I was going as quick as I was with sticks (not all that quick).
I certainly had issues the other lads have mentioned above with brakes etc, but overcame them pretty quickly, and Im 36 so qualify as a grumpy old man who doesnt learn so quickly anymore.

I prefer the wheel now for sure

www.dublinmodelracing.com
Old 04-10-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doktor View Post
Now take what I say with a pinch of salt, cos im not what you call a particularly good driver.
I came back to rc racing about 3 years ago. Raced when i was a kid, but had plenty of bashers over the years.
I started back with sticks, a Futaba 3GR. But at the beginning of this summer season i decided to change to wheel, for lots of reasons, but probably mainly cos i thought the futaba 4pk looked cool.
Have to say the first couple of laps were awful, but got the hang of it quick enough. I would say that after a month or so I was going as quick as I was with sticks (not all that quick).
I certainly had issues the other lads have mentioned above with brakes etc, but overcame them pretty quickly, and Im 36 so qualify as a grumpy old man who doesnt learn so quickly anymore.

I prefer the wheel now for sure
You're definitely quicker with the wheel, I'm giving a wheel a go this week too. Will report back after Sunday!
Old 05-10-2011

I used to use sticks, but then i had a break from racing and went slot car racing for a bit (think metal chassis Scalextrix that do 80mph), and when i went back to RC i wanted pistol grip throttle so found the wheel suited me perfectly.
Old 05-10-2011

my other half calls the spazsticks lol and we find it easier with the steering wheels.
Old 05-10-2011

Some interesting points made I think and much food for thought from some of the more experienced drivers. I've made the assumption that smooth, fast driving = wheel but for some reason now I can't visualise driving a buggy on an off road course with anything other than sticks... my brain's beginning to hurt!

Skye's comment about the throttle/trigger braking is interesting. I had a five minute tootle around the car park at work this afternoon (absolutely awful I was too. This lark's harder than it looks) and almost immediately ran into (no pun intended) the same problem. Seeing as how I don't have any good or bad habits yet I thought I might try reversing the throttle to see of that feels any more natural.

I have to say that if I hadn't already convinced myself that I'd be absolutely pants with sticks (due to my laughable ability with a joypad) I'd be in a quandary too Jamiew so let us know which way you decide to go and how you get on.