Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 20-02-2011

Default TRF502X, things to improve

Dear all,

When building the TRF 502X I have found some things that Tamiya or an aftermarket company could improve:

- the shock tower attachment on the front upper gearbox cover does have a wrong angle. This should be the same angle as the front kick-up. The result is binding of the front shocks when mounted according the manual. It can be solved by use of a double shock tower, but the shocks won't be square with the lower arms. The TRF 511 doesn't have this problem.

-The slots in the diff joints are too large, in this way dust can easily enter the "sealed" gearbox. To prevent this i used a piece of heat shrink to cover the slots. (only covering the slot that's inside the gearbox)

Some minor things:

-Where is the angled steering system from the TRF 511? I for the best steering characteristics the steering system should be parallel to the steering uprights, like was done on the TRF 511 and 501X.

-The rear shocks are not reversible like on the TRF 511. Shocks can only mounted on the front side of the suspension arms. BTW: I didn't like driving the rear mounted option on the TRF 511.

-The gear box housings are not fully sealed like on the TRF 201. A sealing edge is missing. The gearboxes are very stiff and secured with 6 screws, so hopefully there is no need for sealing edges.

-accessing the motor screws is not easy, an improved motor mount like on the B44.1 should be nice.

- a double slipper clutch, I like this option very much on the TRF 511

So hopefully tamiya releases soon an updated front gear box cover and improved diff joints.
Old 20-02-2011

The front steering has to be turned round 180 degrees so that the car steers better you have to dremel gear box housing.It makes akaman same as 511.

Team Schumacher
Old 20-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCaunt View Post
The front steering has to be turned round 180 degrees so that the car steers better you have to dremel gear box housing.It makes akaman same as 511.
True, but you can also use 6 mm spacers to achive the same geometry
Old 21-02-2011

Default Steering

Hi to all,

...and its got some bumb steer ( neagtive ) in the last few bits of inboard travel on the front, which " opens " the outside steering angle. Still have no idea to shim that, because of not enough place...

After driving 501 ( orig and AC GTO ) and 511, i am a bit dissapointed:
- the front whishbones start to wobble after 6 Packs inddor
- still no parts availible here

Greetings from Switzerland
Maurice
Old 21-02-2011

seems like 502x was released too early
Old 21-02-2011

Default not funny....

it seems like Tamiya has lowerd the quality to Schuey, durango and co, if the official price of the 502 would be the same as the others, i would say okay, but for more money i want more quality...like Fiat vs. Porsche...

We will see...
Old 21-02-2011
Mad Member

Ive run my 502 now at 6 meetings and love it. Its kit standard and ive had no issues. Its certainly not a "bad" car, although you need to make a few tweaks, which you would do with any car you buy.
Old 21-02-2011

Default 502 is not bad

i am not saying the 502 is a bad car:
As you said, you have to do with a few minor tweaks.
The 502 is faster than the 511, at my opinion...which is not representiv, exept fo me
i owned the
- Durango
- every Lazer exept FS
- Cat SX, the older ones too
- xxx4
- B4
on these cars you need the dremel, on 501/511 not, which was outstanding, unique selling proposition, what ever ou wanna call that...

I just hope tamiya will come back to the " old " quality, as for me the problem is time, not money. ( sorry to say that in that way, i know no other words ), i would by an upgrade at an instant...
Old 21-02-2011
Mad Member

You dont need to dremel the 502 either? At least ive never felt the need to anyways.lol
Old 21-02-2011

Default Dremel

if you do change the steering to get enough lock on the outside, you have to.
Otherwise it bends, or you have to drive around like an old Lazer...steeringwise
Old 21-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastinfastout View Post
seems like 502x was released too early
I disagree, it's a great car. But there is room for improvement!
Old 21-02-2011

I would like to hear from someone that had both cars which is faster or better and in what areas...as I am not convinced the 502 is faster than 511...but I have not driven or even seen both cars on track!
...anyone???
Old 21-02-2011

Default 511 vs 502

indoors both cars are fast, 511 seems calmer, the 502 better if you have to change direction fast, for me 502 is faster, because its more direct in the drivtrain. ( Indoors on carpet )
I think you should try, then yo will know wats faster for you...
Old 21-02-2011

The problem is that on carpet you have so much traction that some problems are "hidden". When you have a slippery surface like dirt or clay, then the problems are magnified.
An advantage on carpet can be a disadvantage on dirt....
That is why I try to understand the 502's "character".
Old 21-02-2011
Mad Member

My 502 was really nice yesterday at Worksop. Very easy to drive, it was my first time out so I'm sure it will get better aswell With a bit of help.
Went from Durango to the 502! Love it!
Xb2 CE
Www.tqmodels.co.uk

See My Feedback
Old 21-02-2011

what differences did you notice compared to the DEX?
is the steering as good as the DEX?
Old 21-02-2011

The DEX feels like a truck, the 502 is more agile,more sensitive for me
Old 21-02-2011
Mad Member

The DEX is great indoors when you dont have loads of grip however go outdoors in the dry and the car is a nightmare to stop grip rolling. I had mine for a while and tried loads of things to settle it but just couldnt manage, maybe im not good enough??

The 502X was instantly smoother and calmer than the DEX and that means that i can push if i need to without getting bit!

I loved the Durango branding and the team are a very helpfull bunch however the 502X does seem to me to be the better car for a medium ability driver.

I made the Lee Martin steering mod, which only took 20 mins and the car had no probs with a lack of steering.

Hope that helps!
Xb2 CE
Www.tqmodels.co.uk

See My Feedback
Old 21-02-2011

I do not understnd the discussions about the quality of the 502. I owned the 501 first and didn't recogize any decrease of the quality. The only thing I really don't like are the screws which are still far too soft.
The issue with the front damper stay, btw, were solved with some spcers, as discribed at trfracing.co.uk.
Some noticed that the steering is not angeled any more, so there is a bit bump steer. I don't think that this is bad as it reduces the slip angel on the front wheels when the car understeers. So that may be useful to improve the handling.
I think the 502 is really awsome and I'm looking foward to drive it outdoors.
Old 21-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris68nufc View Post
The DEX is great indoors when you dont have loads of grip however go outdoors in the dry and the car is a nightmare to stop grip rolling. I had mine for a while and tried loads of things to settle it but just couldnt manage, maybe im not good enough??

The 502X was instantly smoother and calmer than the DEX and that means that i can push if i need to without getting bit!

I loved the Durango branding and the team are a very helpfull bunch however the 502X does seem to me to be the better car for a medium ability driver.

I made the Lee Martin steering mod, which only took 20 mins and the car had no probs with a lack of steering.

Hope that helps!
Yes, it is nice to hear this! I can understand the comparison and was very helpfull!
Thanks!