Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 05-05-2016

Location: on the bike, so probly at a petrol station or at side of road bodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
Er... the BRCA do not make rules, you, the members do. If you want something done about this then get a proposal (with seconder) to the 10th Off-Road Secretary on the appropriate form at the designated time. Turn up at the AGM, explain the proposal, discuss it and vote on it.

At the last AGM nine people turned up at the 10th Off-Road AGM. So, you'd only need to find ten like-minded people to go to the AGM and your new rule would be passed if the same turn-out happens this year.

The BRCA do not make rules, the members do. If this is what you want then follow the procedure, turn up and vote. I realise not everyone can do that, but that's how it works and it means any member with enough support can get the rules changed. HTH
I don't see any issues with having multiple cars,i have a clapped out RC10 and a clapped out ansmann, the first one that I can get working on the day is taken to the track

If you were to say only one car per meeting, then you would need to match cars to drivers at the start of each race to make sure no one's changed cars, this would be harder to enforce at bigger events. if you were to somehow stop drivers bringing more than one car at a time to the track, then I bet your track would end up far less popular as the drivers look elsewhere to race their multiple cars.
-Ansmann master smacker (in bits)

-handmade 1/12 scale lorry (in bits)
-handmade 1/87 RC lorry

-1992 honda transalp (£700 bike, but that's ok as its a big V-twin)

Old 06-05-2016

Last night I went to to my local track to shakedown my new 'wet' car.

The track was bone dry, but my wet car with a wet set-up and dry tyres, was very good.

I didn't have any timing gear, or my dry car to quantify any performance deficit, but I'd estimate it to be less 1/2 a second a lap.

As far as I am concerned there are only a handful of drivers in the country to whom having the absolute optimal weight distribution and cog makes a difference. If the rest of us 'muggles' choose to copy them have a wet car and a dry car fine... it justifies the manufacturers paying them if nothing else. But you don't NEED 2 cars. You can compete at the top end of club or regional meetings with one car in any conditions.

HTH

Last edited by iank55; 06-05-2016 at 06:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-05-2016

I wouldn't say that running multiple car's should be stopped and even if it was how far down the chain should nominating a chassis for the day go? Are people going to be policing this sort of things at club level? I think not.

One thing I have noticed however is that due to the amount of people who now have the option of wet and dry specific cars it's getting more difficult to compete with one car if the conditions do not suit. In the North west regionals 4 of the rounds are on high bite astro and 2 round on grass tracks. In this case you may have a forward motor car or laydown box car which is perfect for the high bite astro but come the grass tracks you will find getting the car around tricky especially if wet against guys with specific low grip cars.

To be able to compete at the top end of a competetive region such as the north west it's almost neccessary to have multiple platforms which means more money. The introduction of lipo and brushless made it far easier to race at a good level on a budget but now with multiple cars it's getting harder.

It's frustrating for me personally as I have other commitments currently so cannot justify buying more cars so if the weather doesn't suit what I have I struggle to challenge near to top of regionals.

There just doesn't seem to be any 'good all rounder' cars available these days as manufacturers are making high/low grip specific kits.

Chris
Old 06-05-2016

Open discussion like this thread can help people understand both points of view of a rule. Then if enough people decide to do something about it then its a proposal at the BRCA AGM.
Personally I don't have a problem with using more than one car at a meeting, Its not something I do as I 'm only a club racer.
Revisit the topic a month or so before the AGM and a change may drum up support. Discussion is the way.

Matt
Old 06-05-2016
Mad Member

What is satisfying though is when the drivers around you change to their 'wet specific' car yet you still out qualify them with your KF2

Mendip R/C Raceway - Offroad Racing in South-West
WORM-Racing - GT12 Racing in the South-West
Old 06-05-2016
Mad Member

I should not say this as a distributor, but i think it would be good if we could find a different surface or surfaces that can be bought cheap and does not have stupid amount of grip that make racing like driving on train tracks, if it had to have a mix of 60-40% of high and low grip like say Tiled section and say rubber like they use in playgrounds would that work? That way with 2 levels of grip and not such a big sway in grip due to damp it could even things out.
That said i think indoor carpet racing should carry on as it is.

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 06-05-2016

This is why i stopped racing buggies and tc as you needed two cars and a million setups and two boxes of tyres
Not a good advert for new drivers
Soon puts people off

It's ok for sponsored drivers but if you are working all week to enjoy a
weekends racing or club night and you.need £30 wheels and tyres

I raced a aire valley were you needed a set of tyres for every run
Old 06-05-2016

Send a message via MSN to D20MCK

I like running 2wd and I was thinking about getting something new for this year after selling my Yokomo YZ2 at the end of last year, I got a new car but it's a re re RC10. I don't like all the different variations on 2wd at the moment. If I had picked a new chassis I would have went for a B5M and that's what I would have used in wet or dry conditions no need for multiple cars.

The old RC10 went well against modern cars a couple of weeks ago so I'll be sticking with it for the season.

Nobody is forcing you to have a perfect car for every possible track condition, it's toy cars, turn up with what you've got race it and have fun!

Last edited by D20MCK; 06-05-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-05-2016
Mad Member

I suppose it depends on expectations though. I run a yz2 and use minipins on rear and cut staggers on front. I use kit set up
Is it the fastest car? No probably not, but I'm not the fastest driver. But it is nice to drive indoor and out. I don't change a lot for conditions and get a few meetings out of a set of rears, more out of the fronts.
I have no prob with people running lots of different set ups as it doesn't affect me in my runs. I expect to be somewhere in middle and I usually am. Job done 😀

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 06-05-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danosborne6661 View Post
What is satisfying though is when the drivers around you change to their 'wet specific' car yet you still out qualify them with your KF2
You mean the one you used in the dry AND when it was wet ... unbelievable
Old 07-05-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwp102 View Post
In particular I am referring to the more frequent use of more than one car at a single event, for wet and dry. Do people think its a good idea? Personally I would like to see the BRCA enforce a rule whereby only one chassis can be used per meeting. As currently it appears that the people who spend the most are at a distinct advantage. Which will eventually lead to a drop off of 2WD numbers. Any one agree or disagree. It would be nice to hear peoples thoughts on the issue.
A change of the rules has always been thought of by the people who don't win.....
Old 07-05-2016
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellor View Post
A change of the rules has always been thought of by the people who don't win.....
So 99% of people then

Last edited by daz75; 07-05-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-05-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danosborne6661 View Post
Old 07-05-2016

I think the same people would be up the front, and the same at the back, if the rule fixed people to one car personally.

After a 10 year lay off from the sport I am completely at the other end of the competitive spectrum. For me to be more competitive at a club level requires my driving to improve, become more consistent and crash less. I could own 15 cars, but the same would hold true.

RC racing is expensive, but compared with most other forms of motorsport it is reasonable, so if you can compete at the top end of a regional / national, chances are you are sponsored anyway and getting a truck load of either half price or free stuff to help you on your journey.

So the short version of this reply is, one car or two cars, at which ever end of the pecking order you are, I don't personally think it makes much odds.

Obviously my personal opinion, no disrespect intended
Old 07-05-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Drivers with enough money have always had multiple cars. It provides a useful back up - sometimes they hide that by never building the 2nd car, just keeping it as parts but they have still paid for 2 kits.
Others went further and built that 2nd car up, sometimes even with electrics too. Let's say you were one of those and had 2 identical cars, but you set one up fully for grip, the other fully for high grip. You now have a wet and dry car, and an advantage over someone with just one of the same car. Why? Because whilst they could convert their car to be exactly like either of yours it will take time and is better done in a workshop than a rain soaked tent in a field.

This has always been the case. What has changed is that manufacturers are deliberately marketing cars for specific conditions making it more obvious. It's also widened the gap between extreme high and low grip cars, making the wrong one less competitive.

So this is not a current trend, it's just the first time people have been open about it.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 07-05-2016
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianH78 View Post
I think the same people would be up the front, and the same at the back, if the rule fixed people to one car personally.

After a 10 year lay off from the sport I am completely at the other end of the competitive spectrum. For me to be more competitive at a club level requires my driving to improve, become more consistent and crash less. I could own 15 cars, but the same would hold true.

RC racing is expensive, but compared with most other forms of motorsport it is reasonable, so if you can compete at the top end of a regional / national, chances are you are sponsored anyway and getting a truck load of either half price or free stuff to help you on your journey.

So the short version of this reply is, one car or two cars, at which ever end of the pecking order you are, I don't personally think it makes much odds.

Obviously my personal opinion, no disrespect intended
some very true words in this post, you can be competitive at regional level completely as a "privateer" but having some "assistance/Sponsorship" certainly can ease the burden
dave
Old 07-05-2016
Mad Member

But you dont need two cars... The schumacher kf2 se has it all in one box, few changes and it goes from high grip to low grip setup fantastic!!!

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
http://www.fairfueluk.com/
Old 07-05-2016
Mad Member

From the outside it seems off that you "might" have to have two cars, I have thought this myself, as I know some people at my local 1/10th track seem to live and breathe 1/10th off road and it would make it harder for me to compete with them if they had an advantage. Especially as a lot of them go through the latest cars like a dose of salts.

The truth is, it doesn't matter, I could have two cars and still have the same talent.

I have neither the set up ability or the driving skill to complete at that level. So as far as I'm concerned, I'll have a "dry" car, if it's raining, I'll stay home. If I'm caught out by the weather, I'll change my tyres and hope for the best.

It's only a hobby but people will always want the advantage the next guy has, be that full monty cells, or two cars, or the latest charger, whatever. It's all moving so fast now, and whatever the in thing is this year, wont be next year. Take the DB1 and the Team C Whatever. Grown men wanking silly over them. Now? they're not about, sold on or sat in the loft.

Buy a car, maintain it, drive it, have fun.
SWorkz S12-2

Instagram: crazylthirteen
Blogger: http://the-croucher.blogspot.co.uk/
Old 07-05-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy L View Post
From the outside it seems off that you "might" have to have two cars, I have thought this myself, as I know some people at my local 1/10th track seem to live and breathe 1/10th off road and it would make it harder for me to compete with them if they had an advantage. Especially as a lot of them go through the latest cars like a dose of salts.

The truth is, it doesn't matter, I could have two cars and still have the same talent.

I have neither the set up ability or the driving skill to complete at that level. So as far as I'm concerned, I'll have a "dry" car, if it's raining, I'll stay home. If I'm caught out by the weather, I'll change my tyres and hope for the best.

It's only a hobby but people will always want the advantage the next guy has, be that full monty cells, or two cars, or the latest charger, whatever. It's all moving so fast now, and whatever the in thing is this year, wont be next year. Take the DB1 and the Team C Whatever. Grown men ****** silly over them. Now? they're not about, sold on or sat in the loft.

Buy a car, maintain it, drive it, have fun.
Crumbs, that just reminded me of something. 'Back in the day' (1990s), I believe, to compete successfully at club level it required 5x sets of £30 cells. To compete at regional it required 5x £50 cells and a motor skimmer at least. Which were very expensive... Now I own two packs of cells which are fine and cost a mere £37 each new.

I might be totally wrong, but I honestly believe if you are up at the sharp end regional or national racing you will be sponsored so the cost of that second car (if its really needed) is probably not the end of the world (half price or free).

At my level (club racing at the back!) two cars will make absolutely no difference to where I finish at the meeting. But I am going to buy a second car, but only so if I badly shunt the first I don't have to go home (rarely get to go racing with work and other life commitments so have to make the most when I can).

Besides, peoples are forgetting the down side of running two cars - you've got to clean and maintained two which is a lot of work

On a serious note also, swapping from a 'wet' car to a 'dry' car or vice versa has got to take mega skill to pull off as I bet they are very different beasts to drive so not so many people other than the top top drivers are likely to be able to pull off a competitive advanced perhaps? Which goes back to the fact they are likely sponsored with cheap free cars?

I guess what I am trying to say is a large budget always brings advantages, two cars or one, as I found in the 90s on the negative end (my car dumping, competitors not dumping towards end of race). Just a fact of life :-s
Old 07-05-2016

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Elworthy View Post
I wouldn't say that running multiple car's should be stopped and even if it was how far down the chain should nominating a chassis for the day go? Are people going to be policing this sort of things at club level? I think not.

One thing I have noticed however is that due to the amount of people who now have the option of wet and dry specific cars it's getting more difficult to compete with one car if the conditions do not suit. In the North west regionals 4 of the rounds are on high bite astro and 2 round on grass tracks. In this case you may have a forward motor car or laydown box car which is perfect for the high bite astro but come the grass tracks you will find getting the car around tricky especially if wet against guys with specific low grip cars.

To be able to compete at the top end of a competetive region such as the north west it's almost neccessary to have multiple platforms which means more money. The introduction of lipo and brushless made it far easier to race at a good level on a budget but now with multiple cars it's getting harder.

It's frustrating for me personally as I have other commitments currently so cannot justify buying more cars so if the weather doesn't suit what I have I struggle to challenge near to top of regionals.

There just doesn't seem to be any 'good all rounder' cars available these days as manufacturers are making high/low grip specific kits.

Chris
Exactly what happened last weekend on wet grass in the midwest. Not taking anything away from Kevs TQ as hes a real good driver but I had a blast round at the end with a 22 with the non-layed down transmission and the grip difference was unreal