Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 07-05-2016

i agree in some of this but its all about the track surface at the club you are driving at i think..

everyone seems to be making 2 cars now for 2wd but if someone wants to bring 2 cars to a meeting not sure why anyone should think this is unfair. i think costs are high but i think really i would buy 2 cars but purely for the fun of building them should that then mean i cant run both at the same meeting?
Old 08-05-2016
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianH78 View Post
Crumbs, that just reminded me of something. 'Back in the day' (1990s), I believe, to compete successfully at club level it required 5x sets of £30 cells. To compete at regional it required 5x £50 cells and a motor skimmer at least. Which were very expensive... Now I own two packs of cells which are fine and cost a mere £37 each new.

I might be totally wrong, but I honestly believe if you are up at the sharp end regional or national racing you will be sponsored so the cost of that second car (if its really needed) is probably not the end of the world (half price or free).

At my level (club racing at the back!) two cars will make absolutely no difference to where I finish at the meeting. But I am going to buy a second car, but only so if I badly shunt the first I don't have to go home (rarely get to go racing with work and other life commitments so have to make the most when I can).

Besides, peoples are forgetting the down side of running two cars - you've got to clean and maintained two which is a lot of work

On a serious note also, swapping from a 'wet' car to a 'dry' car or vice versa has got to take mega skill to pull off as I bet they are very different beasts to drive so not so many people other than the top top drivers are likely to be able to pull off a competitive advanced perhaps? Which goes back to the fact they are likely sponsored with cheap free cars?

I guess what I am trying to say is a large budget always brings advantages, two cars or one, as I found in the 90s on the negative end (my car dumping, competitors not dumping towards end of race). Just a fact of life :-s
Totally agree! 10 packs of reedys back in the day wasn't cheap every year!

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
http://www.fairfueluk.com/
Old 12-05-2016

Racing now is WAY cheaper and fairer than in the days of nicad cells and brushed motors; everything had a short shelf life and to get anywhere near a sponsored driver cost a hill of money on special batteries and motors.

The chassis thing isn't a biggy IMO; plenty of cars with both configurations in one box or for not much more money, KF, new B6 etc. Hard to enforce too; what constitutes a chassis? Just the £50 metal plate? And if you are unlucky enough to bend it mid meeting what then?

I started in RC, have competed and now work in full size motorsport, and have come back to RC! Enjoy it. There is ALWAYS someone with more money at every level/scale!