Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > REAL 1:1 Cars

Old 29-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Dead diesel

I,ve not used my car a 2lt tdci cmax since 20 nov as I was away. I tried to start it this morning and its dead almost like a flat battery but the battery is holding 12.8v. It seems like the engine can barely turn over.
I did not have this problem last winter throughout those long icy months we had. Onboard temp reads -6c.
A failure message comes up on the comp but too quick to read before it goes out and there seems to be a noise from the fuse/relay passenger area and when you take the key out the speed and rev needles bounce a bit and a crackling noise comes from behind the dash.
Is this just a case of wait till it warms up or frozen diesel.
Any ideas welcome.
Old 29-11-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Collapsed battery failing under load. The clicking is the bcmii droping out due to low voltage
Old 29-11-2010
Mad Member

All of the above symptoms point directly at a flat battery. Even though it may show 12v idle, but the minute the car tries drawing power to start, id bet it goes down below 8v.

The licking noises is the relays in the fuse compartment switching on and off because theres not enough voltage to keep them alive/engaged.

Try a set of jumper leads, or better still put the battery on charge for a few hours. Failing that it sounds like a dead battery killed by the sudden change in temperature.
Old 29-11-2010

Default Frozen Diesel!!

On Saturday morning, whilst on the way to work (-8*c) my Focus 2003 1.8TDDI decided to go no further - and stopped 800 yards from work after driveing 13miles without any problem. As i could not get it restarted on the key i walked to work (800 yards @ -8*c feels very cold at 7:30am)and left the car on the dual carriageway, whilst walking i was passed by a Police volvo twice (both directions) but both times failed to stop or say anything..........
I got to work phone for a mate to go and have a look at my car - he arrived at about 8:45 - 9:00am and had to watch as the Police supervised my car being removed from the carrageway, when questioning the police & flatbed truck driver about getting the car back he was informed that it would cost £150. I left work at 10:30am and went to the transporters base and my car was still on the back of the truck - the guy dropped it down and we tried to start it but failed again!! - the guy's reply was "looks like frozen fuel to me"...............
Whilst towing the car home (down the M4!!) i decided to see if i could bump start it.............& guess what it started straight away!!
So Fords & frozen fuel dont mix........................expensive lesson @ £150 to release the car.................
Old 29-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
Collapsed battery failing under load. The clicking is the bcmii droping out due to low voltage
Had another look and something like Total Failure comes up on the comp.
By collapsed battery do you mean goosed buy a new one or just flat.
Old 29-11-2010

Didn't think they still did winter and summer diesel.

Her 2004 TDCi stuggled yesterday to start, we've just changed the plugs on it, it cranks fine, just takes time to start. Apparently there is a fault with the fuel pump on these models, just not sure.
Old 29-11-2010

jump start it as if you get clicking that means voltage is too low as its drawing more amps to turn over the engine in the cold.
Old 29-11-2010

Bodjit
Yup sorry collapsed means internally failed so you need a new one. One thing the new calcium batteries are known for
Please please do not listen to those telling you to jump start it. They obviously have no Ford experience.

If you do and cause any form of voltage spike you will blow your abs module. Ford strongly advise against jump starts.
Either try to add charge or easiest fit new battery. We have 1500 quid worth of charger that can in some cases recover flat batteries but your best bet it buy a new one. Just make sure its the correct spec.
Old 29-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2FAST4U View Post
On Saturday morning, whilst on the way to work (-8*c) my Focus 2003 1.8TDDI decided to go no further - and stopped 800 yards from work after driveing 13miles without any problem. As i could not get it restarted on the key i walked to work (800 yards @ -8*c feels very cold at 7:30am)and left the car on the dual carriageway, whilst walking i was passed by a Police volvo twice (both directions) but both times failed to stop or say anything..........
I got t1o work phone for a mate to go and have a look at my car - he arrived at about 8:45 - 9:00am and had to watch as the Police supervised my car being removed from the carrageway, when questioning the police & flatbed truck driver about getting the car back he was informed that it would cost £150. I left work at 10:30am and went to the transporters base and my car was still on the back of the truck - the guy dropped it down and we tried to start it but failed again!! - the guy's reply was "looks like frozen fuel to me"...............
Whilst towing the car home (down the M4!!) i decided to see if i could bump start it.............& guess what it started straight away!!
So Fords & frozen fuel dont mix........................expensive lesson @ £150 to release the car.................

IF it was frozen fuel. Other vehicles would have suffered on the road and not just fords.
When u stopped the pump would have been dry. As it would not draw any fuel . Bump starting it could well have goosed ur fuel pump which may now fail in the future.
When was the last time you drained the water trap in your fuel filter? More than Lilkey that's what froze IF it did freeze.
Old 29-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

At the moment its been on a 3amp charge for 1 hour and is only up to 13.00v from 12.8v this morning.
Quoted £112.75 from fords 3 yr guarantee supply only.
kwikfit £106.50 fitted 3yr guarantee £121.50 4yr guarantee
Volvo dealer £99.88 fitted 3yr guarantee
checkpoint £103 bosch fitted 5 yr guarantee.
Old 29-11-2010

Throughout my apprenticeship I was told 'you ignore the guarantee on the battery, what matters is that is says Bosch on the side.' Although we stocked several different brands I can't recall that we ever sold anything other than a Bosch and I don't remember ever seeing one come back in their 5 year guarantee.
For the sake of a decent brand over whatever Volvo might fit, plus an additional 2 years guarantee, I'd say go with Checkpoint. Well worth £3.22 IMO
Old 09-12-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I went to checkpoint and they did it for £95 fitted
One thing I noticed is that the computer will now only disply 350 miles till empty even if I fill up. Normally it would read 505 miles till empty.
Edit: The old battery was charged up till it had enough to start the car.
Old 09-12-2010

WOuldn't worry about it, mine used to just forget it should tell you that info every now and again.
Old 09-12-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
If you do and cause any form of voltage spike you will blow your abs module. Ford strongly advise against jump starts.
Mark, just wondering, does that apply even if the battery you are jumping off is not connected to a running vehicle?
Old 22-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetbee View Post
Mark, just wondering, does that apply even if the battery you are jumping off is not connected to a running vehicle?
yes officially for ford
if you have to do it then connect the batteries up with jump leads and wait 5 mins for them to equalize, then start and leave them all conected for another 5 mins its the big voltage spikes that do the damage
Old 22-12-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Cheers!
Old 22-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2FAST4U View Post
I got to work phone for a mate to go and have a look at my car - he arrived at about 8:45 - 9:00am and had to watch as the Police supervised my car being removed from the carrageway, when questioning the police & flatbed truck driver about getting the car back he was informed that it would cost £150. I left work at 10:30am and went to the transporters base and my car was still on the back of the truck - the guy dropped it down and we tried to start it but failed again!! - the guy's reply was "looks like frozen fuel to me"...............
Paul....I didn't think diesel could freeze.......but chip fat might!!....LOL
but it is right that you should drain your water trap every couple of months summer and winter!