Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > East of England

Old 04-09-2013

Default Questionnaire

Is there any feedback from the questionnaires some of us filled in at the final round or the Regionals?

My main thing I would like to put to the vote at the AGM is a control tire for next years regionals.

Schumacher Yellow mini spikes for 4wd front and rear

Schumacher Yellow mini spikes for 2wd front and rear and also yellow cut staggers for the front.

Possibly could stretch to Ballistic Greens if its wet.

What's people's opinion to this?
It will keep the cost down as the tire choice is forever growing and it will make having the right tire choice a level playing field.
Old 04-09-2013

Every track is different but I think you need a couple of options for each track which the club could nominate

Personally I only used multibytes mini spikes and mini pins on the rear all season

Old 04-09-2013

I forgot to fill on the questionnaire but my only change for next year would be...

CONTROL TYRES

Well said Chris

Oh & could someone please steam roll that ridiculous back to front jump at Herts IF they let us go back next year
Old 04-09-2013

hi all.i have the questionnaires and will use them at the agm, which will be after the brca agm and section meeting. seems to be a real anti or pro opinion on control tryes. could be a talking point for next year.
Old 05-09-2013

I've got to say, what is the obsession with having control tyres? There are still those who want to come to the regionals for a catch up and a bit of fun on a different track. So long asa part is readily available to all then it should be allowed in my opinion. Would you tell some kid who has his new out of the box rtr car that he can't race because it has the wrong tyres? It is all getting silly these days by everyone taking things too seroiusly with little thoughts to contributing to the continued growth of the sport. Don't get me wrong this isn't meant as a dig at anyone, but the last few regionals I went to and reports I heard very few people were there to enjoy the racing, it was only about the win if that makes sense.
Old 05-09-2013

No totally agree all rtr tires that are with and on a rtr on the day should be aloud.
But I'm just trying to keep the cost down to kids who can't compete because they can't afford to keep buying new (different) tires per round.

Most regions run on one surface style all season but here at the EOE we run on all different surfaces from grass to high grip astro.
Old 05-09-2013

If little boy turns up with his rtr i would let him run but not score points for the region as for control tyres i would opt for the same as nationals and other reigons ballistic spike or schumacher mini spike on rear axle only
Old 05-09-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losi_110 View Post
I've got to say, what is the obsession with having control tyres? There are still those who want to come to the regionals for a catch up and a bit of fun on a different track. So long asa part is readily available to all then it should be allowed in my opinion. Would you tell some kid who has his new out of the box rtr car that he can't race because it has the wrong tyres? It is all getting silly these days by everyone taking things too seroiusly with little thoughts to contributing to the continued growth of the sport. Don't get me wrong this isn't meant as a dig at anyone, but the last few regionals I went to and reports I heard very few people were there to enjoy the racing, it was only about the win if that makes sense.
I used to think the same Sam, but then we went to Coastal's regional this year & I changed my mind, it's fair to say that on that day, the track was very different to how it is now, where only the straight & the area around the jump was astro'd, the rest was like an American style dirt track.

Now due to different parts of the track wanting different tyres from the rest, at one point in 4wd, there were 10 or so cars in the top heat, probably 8 different types of tyre/compound between them, success that day really depended on if you had the right tyre & enough of them to get through the day. At one point I had some old Losi tyres from 14 years ago on

Now Coastal was an extreme example (& is now fully covered in lovely astro), but there were plenty of times this year where tyre choice was the determining factor of how your day went, bring in a control tyre rule & it not only reduces costs, but takes away the stress of not having the right tyres, which would lead to a more enjoyable day for everyone.

Also, for those people looking to join the series in the future, much like Alec & Lou did this year (who traveled a bloody long way to race with us), I'd think it's better to have a clue what tyres to have when going to new tracks, nothing worse then getting there & all the locals are on something you'd never thought of. I know Alec will agree with that after ARC.

I've done Stotfold's excellent winter series for the last few years, that's a control tyre series, sure there are a few tricks people know with regard to inserts, but it's nice to know your on the same tyre as the top boys.

The rule can of course be waived for rtr cars, or young kids (how many of those go to regionals though?)

As for your last bit about people not enjoying the racing so much, more the winning, maybe for some, but I find the winning is a nice side effect of the racing & is very enjoyable
Old 05-09-2013
Mad Member

Plus I doubt that anyone is proposing we use tyres that no one has heard of, or uses anywhere else, the majority of racers will already have Schuey mini spikes, Ballistic spikes & maybe some DBoots Mulitbites.

I would like to see the end of mini pin type tyres though, they break my Xray's gearboxes
Old 05-09-2013

Have to agree with John , I have a ridiculous collection of wheels / tyres
( ask Mr Hubbard ) and still find it difficult to get things right ! Obviously this is mainly due to being a crap driver most of the time but with a control tyre at least you feel that you have a sporting chance of competing with the top boys !

Although that said , the likes of John , Alec , Danny , Ben , Jayson Roper etc etc could run on rims covered in breadcrumbs and still beat most people ! You'll never get away from the fact that whatever car /tyres they're running they're just better drivers !

I'm all for control tyres but obviously overlook them for RTR and for kids
KO Propo Espirit 4 stick radio

Dji Mavic Air2S
All round gadget freak !
Old 05-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
but it's nice to know your on the same tyre as the top boys.
Yes, just to further emphasise the huge gap in skill between them & me

http://www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com/
Old 05-09-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamH7060 View Post
I'm all for control tyres but obviously overlook them for RTR and for kids
If we were to have a control tyre rule, an exception could/should be put in for rtrs & young kids, but there would have to be some sort of criteria set for that to work, you couldn't just have "all kids can run what they like" as don't forget Lewis is 11 years old & won at Herts.

But really, how many people be it young kids or those who went out & bought a rtr Durango 210 for example have their first meeting at a regional? Most people I would've thought would have been doing some sort of club racing before hand & therefor have tyres that would be on a list (if there was one).
Old 05-09-2013

Agh yes very good point John ! In that case all kids EXCEPT Lewis who MUST be handicapped instead by having to run the "breadcrumb" control tyre !!

As for RTR I also agree first outing at regional level would be a little daunting I'd guess !!

Dji Mavic Air2S
All round gadget freak !
Old 05-09-2013

I agree with the control tyre rule but only for people with skills. Show offs like myall, Hubbard, York, fairweather etc should all be made to use touring car slicks....
Old 05-09-2013

Default Tires

Also if we can go the control tire route we may be able to approach the manufacturer and get them to put there name on the series and offer a good deal on bulk buying tires, this can make it cheaper for kids to buy the correct tire.

It's not often to see anybody actually race a buggy with ready to run tires as they aren't that good ( I mean the tire not the racer).

Schumacher Yellow minis work reasonably well on every car on every surface.
Old 05-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayropes View Post
I agree with the control tyre rule but only for people with skills. Show offs like myall, Hubbard, York, fairweather etc should all be made to use touring car slicks....

Great idea Jay ! Or perhaps go the whole hog ???? They should have to use touring cars !!

You've got a couple you could sell I'm sure ??

Dji Mavic Air2S
All round gadget freak !
Old 05-09-2013

Ha ha, I have indeed Mr Heron. Could I interest you in one hmmm,, well????
Old 05-09-2013

No thanks mate , scroll to the bottom of the forum site , there's a big section called "for sale" get them in there , then with the cash , forget buying tyres or bling & get a Quadcopter !!

Job done !

Dji Mavic Air2S
All round gadget freak !
Old 06-09-2013

loved that quad copter thingy, that was a nice bit of kit.
I'm up for a tyre rule too.....
maybe we could have a reverse style grid pattern in finals too like the btcc....after 1st final top 5 go to the back....
Any idea where the agm is gonna be this year?
Old 06-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighty View Post
If little boy turns up with his rtr i would let him run but not score points for the region as for control tyres i would opt for the same as nationals and other reigons ballistic spike or schumacher mini spike on rear axle only
I agree with this point, if we are talking about control tyres, just follow the national or EOS finals route. Then it's the same for everyone, with not too many tyres to lug about with you everywhere and less cost. Most clubs run or have run control tyres with lots of success and happy racers. Yes it is nice to have free choice to play with exotic or rare rubber, but maybe we can save that for another time