Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Norfolk Buggy Club

Old 07-04-2014

Default Recommended 1/10th electric off road

Hi All

I used to race a Yokomo Super-dogfighter at the Norfolk Off Road Buggy Club (NORBC) near Harleston some 25 years ago. I still have the car!!!

I considering getting back into racing and am somewhat at a loss on what car to choose. I like the Schumacher Cat K1 Aero but get the impression it's best for astro rather than dirt.

What do you use and can I have your recommendations for a suitable modern day car.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2014

Hi

You didn't say whether you were talking about 4wd or 2wd. If 4wd then the very popular car to get is the new Losi 22-4. A triple enclosed belt system based on their very successful XX4. I personally have one, but only raced it once so can't really comment just yet, but many others have been using it for a while with good success.

The K1 also is belt drive not enclosed though. I would look at your club and try to purchase something others have so you have borrow/swap parts and get setup tips. Also ensure you can get spares. No one at NBC (to my knowledge) has a K1 but couple have the 22-4. However at Coastal in Ipswich a few have both the K1 and the 22-4. There are other 4wd cars are also worth a purchase and popular, they are: XRay XB4, Durango dex410 and my personal favourite - the Lazer ZX5 FS2 sp.

For 2wd you are spoiled also. I would personally go for the Losi 22 2.0 over it's much improved v1 that suffered steering issues and hard to drive unless you were a very good driver. Good drivers can make anything go fast around the track! Or quite possibly the RB6 by Kyosho. Simon has just bought a Yokomo foobar - sorry cannot remember the model and not sure how the Yokomo compares against the Kyosho perhaps he will chip in.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Simon
Old 08-04-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hi

K1 would be ok, depends on the class you wish to race, at NBC we have more 2wd than 4wd but 4wd is growing fast. we have a mix at the club but I would say the losi 22 is most popular of all.

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 08-04-2014
Mad Member

I would agree with Dave in that the TLR 22 is the most popular car at NBC, it is strong and reliable and most importantly spares are pretty easy to get hold of locally or by mail order.

Having said that you really won't go far wrong with anything from Schumacher, TLR, Associated, Kyosho, Team C, Xray or Yokomo. Fair enough some cars are more suited to high grip astro rather than dirt or grass, but most manufacturers make a couple of variations of their 2wd cars and if you feel like racing at different venues across East Anglia they'll be a slight compromise in any choice.

As said 4wd is also increasing in popularity at NBC. The initial outlay is likely to be more, but they are easier to drive on the dirt track, I'd use the same rule of thumb as with 2wd in sticking with the bigger names in the game as your bound to be needing spares at some point in RC car ownership.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!
Old 08-04-2014

Thanks for the suggestions. I would prefer 4WD.

I used to race a Bolink Eliminator as well, which was 2WD and I never enjoyed as much as the Yoko... The Bolink was of course an entirely different car, next to no suspension and really for carpet or Tarmac so not a fair comparison and wouldn't get far at the NBC track. The Bolink is still in the loft as well!

In respect of motors, I'm guessing brushless is the way to go, but for NBC do the races have classes i.e stock motor and modified equivalents?

I expect, if possible it would be worth coming to NBC to learn more?

Thanks
Old 09-04-2014
Mad Member

Yes brushless is definitely the way to go, with makes you basically take your pick and pays your money, but I personally feel it is worth buying a motor and ESC from the same manufacturer, with my choice being Nosram or LRP. While Speedpassion and vampire also seem popular choices.

At NBC as with most off road clubs we don't run a separate stock class, with most drivers opting for something like a 7.5 in 2wd and 6.5 in 4wd. However there a number of newer drivers that also run 10.5's which seem to give good power and top end and is probably comparable to something like a 12turn in brushed money.

I'd recommend a visit to NBC, our club days are listed at the top of our thread or on our website, I believe the next one is on Easter Sunday.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!