Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 24-11-2012

Default Ball diff vs gear diff 22

Thinking bout getting a geared diff for the losi 22 wat do people think bout them any good or just stick with the ball diff?
Old 24-11-2012

i found the gear diff a bit different to drive but great on indoor astro ,for outdoors i went back to ball diff because weather was changeable and gear diff not great in wet
Old 24-11-2012
Banned

There have been a few threads discussing this, but the bottom line is that you'll find that all the top-rated racers prefer balldiffs.

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...light=geardiff
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103717
Old 24-11-2012

Thanks think I will keep the ball diff ...
Old 25-11-2012

Send a message via MSN to TKG26

I simply got tired of the constant work and spending required to keep the ball diff feeling the same run after run after run..

With the gear diff its consistent race after race, and yes although it may eventually leak its fluid out it never gets gritty or grindy like a over barked ball diff gets..

Seeing that the touring car community has gone to gear diffs im thinking the old skool thinking of ball for racing gear for bashing is behind us..

28$ for a gear diff, i run the thing till the outdrives look worn.. they buy a new one.... A ball diff would have been through many rebuilds that would cost more $$

Im cheap and lazy
Old 25-11-2012

gear diff all the way mate with 3000 to 4000 oil in it
Old 25-11-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
I simply got tired of the constant work and spending required to keep the ball diff feeling the same run after run after run..

With the gear diff its consistent race after race, and yes although it may eventually leak its fluid out it never gets gritty or grindy like a over barked ball diff gets..

Seeing that the touring car community has gone to gear diffs im thinking the old skool thinking of ball for racing gear for bashing is behind us..

28$ for a gear diff, i run the thing till the outdrives look worn.. they buy a new one.... A ball diff would have been through many rebuilds that would cost more $$

Im cheap and lazy
The geared diff is a good tuning option if running on carpet with pinned tyres... on anything but very dry grippy surfaces it is a handful and is not consistant enough to be on pace.

A geared diff also still requires maintenance, the oil is under compression of the gears and also soaks the heat generated, which means it gets dirty and thinner after use... i would still replace oil between meetings as i would rebuild a ball diff!

There is probably less internal wear on gear diff components but i noticed the outdrives wear a lot quicker.

Remember touring cars are 4wd so the diffs have half the power going to them, plus they use lower power motors and use gearing to get speed... they also tend to race on grippier surfaces with sticky slick tyres and don't have bumps or jumps to contend with.

geared diffs work well in 4wd cars but i'm yet to be convinced that 2wd buggys will adopt them as a competitive option.. I don't know any Durango drivers that have tried them and stuck with them either.

A well built ball diff still the best competitive choice IMO
Old 25-11-2012

Send a message via MSN to TKG26

im not saying a gear diff is the best performance option going..

But a gear diff i feel is easier to keep consistant even with having to change the fluid ever other race day... 4000k oil is always 4000k oil when you fill it up fresh. Rebuilding a ball diff wich i am very experienced in.I know how to buid them, but the effort involved is just not worth it for my level of skill and commitment

Cheap and lazy racing LIPOS and BRUSHLESS motors are to blame... Used to have a 12 step process just to get nihm and brushed motors ready.. LOL
Old 27-11-2012
Mad Member

Default hmmmmm

I asked this a while back.... mixed replies and some good info.

I fitted a gear diff in the 22, added 3k oil. and worked very well in the dry, consistant and smooth and more power out of the corners.

But, when it gets a little damp. then its a real hand full.......

I was advised to put thicker oil, prob 5k and that will help but have not tried it yet. But i continued to use the car as is in the wet, and got used to it, just trying it really. and being lazy..... haha.

I think with the thicker oil as people said it would have done the job, and its a fit and leave job with gears. simple.

But if your racing at the higher level, then i guess balls seems to work better if the top lads use them. They are of course adjustable.

So, if club fun racing and easy of maintenance, then go for a gear diff.
If racing higher level, Balls is the way......

selling my losi 22 now with both diffs etc, as going back to schuey accross the board again. but nothing against the 22, Love it, gears or balls........... toughest car i have owned, so far!
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =