Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 28-11-2012

Default 22 Diff rebuild

Alright lads,

I gave my diff a rebuild last weekend before my meeting to clean it up. I didnt replace any parts just rebuilt the diff following Matt Castellano's advice online. The diff now is very rough and feels as if it needs a good proper rebuild with new rings etc.
will I need to replace all the balls for the diff to work correctly once rebuilt? I have carbide balls that have been used for around 8 meetings, how do i know if they are worn?
I didn't build the diff perfectly to begin with which is probably why im experiencing problems now. Will carbide thrust bearings make much difference?

Any help would be great

Chris
Old 28-11-2012

Hi Chris

Built all mine with Buds Balls and ground the rings. Never had any problems. I have barked the diff once and it's still runs smooth.

Cheers

Steve
Old 29-11-2012

Send a message via MSN to TKG26

I use this part number for all my ball diff needs now LOSI LOSA2954

Old 29-11-2012

Hi Steve,

I have the ceramic TLR balls in my diff so I assume the balls are good enough. I rebuilt the diff before our indoor meeting at the weekend as in order to get the diff set correctly I felt too tight meaning when I turned one wheel by hand both wheels would turn in the same direction unless I turned the wheel ever so gently. When I took the diff apart I noticed that the thrust race had collapsed so I assumed that was causing my issues. I rebuilt the diff for the weekend and didn't feel as if it was causing me any problems it's just now I feel it's far grittier than it has been before.
I assume it will Probably be the diff rings that need replacing and TLR sell a rebuilt kit with everything needed other than the balls, I just don't know whether I will need to replace all the balls at the same time as they are only about 8 meetings old.
Good luck with Turf Wars on Sunday Steve, I can send you my setup from the last round if you like? After a few tweaks through the day it was flying by round 4 and I put in the 6th fastest time of the day, lack of consistency in the earlier rounds qualified me in the B final however due to round by round qualifying but I did feel well balanced.

Chris
Old 29-11-2012

Hi Chris,

Sorry I misunderstood your first post. I see what you mean now. Losi rebuild kit would give you everything you need. Do you have ceramic balls for the thrust as well?.

I would appreciate the loan of your setup for turf wars. I would like to be on the ball from the start instead of chasing setup all day.

regards

Steve
Old 29-11-2012

probably the balls are good as long as you use the ceramic balls for diff and thrust they should last for ages.
sand down the diff rings and the thrust rings (both sides). You don't have to buy new ones.
Clean the outdrives before assembly because some dirt can find the way to the thrust bearing place and mess it up.
Use silicone grease for the diff balls and a good high pressure bearing grease for the thrust. The black grease is good for the thrust but by far not the best though most use it.